LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions
darkconstantine
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:22 pm
can someone explain to me the mechanics of blocking? can i block with two or more creatures against one attacking creature? how does that work?
tnx!
elf lvr
Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:07 am
Alright, well, there’s this thing called the declare attackers step first, right, where your opponent chooses which creatures he wants to attack with, and this taps his creatures.

Next, you move creatures to block his. You can block one of his creatures with as many as you like, but remember, your opponent gets to choose how your creatures take damage, and that might let more of his creatures get through to your life.

Blocking doesn’t cause your creatures to tap.

Then, comes first strike damage (caused by creatures with first strike and double strike [double strike means dealing first strike and regular damage, not having two attacks, as I sort of thought before]). Even blockers can deal damage with first strike and kill the attacker before they take any damage. If a creature is killed with first strike damage, the other creature doesn’t have a chance to attack back (unless it too has first strike).

Then, all regular damage is done instantaneously. Each attacking creature deals damage to blocking creatures, and each unblocked creature deals damage to your life. If you have two or more creatures blocking one, your opponent decides how to put his damage on your creatures. Then, blocking creautres deal damage equal to THEIR power back to attacking creatures, EVEN IF THEY ARE KILLED BY THEIR ATTACKER (so long as they weren’t killed by first strike damage, of course).

Remember, all damage from creatures is removed at the end of the turn, and damage goes on the stack like anything else, but once damage goes on the stack, no one can do anything else till it resolves, so take any actions you need to (like playing any +X/+Y instants) before damage goes to the stack. Like, right after they declare attackers.

I *think* I’m right about all of this, but I’d like Felipe to confirm.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:26 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
elf lvr wrote:
Alright, well, there’s this thing called the declare attackers step first, right, where your opponent chooses which creatures he wants to attack with, and this taps his creatures.

Unless they have vigilance, of course.

elf lvr wrote:
Next, you move creatures to block his. You can block one of his creatures with as many as you like, but remember, your opponent gets to choose how your creatures take damage, and that might let more of his creatures get through to your life.

Blocking doesn’t cause your creatures to tap.

This would be the Declare Blockers step. However, mind that a blocker must be adequate (like a black or artifact creature against a Fear attacking, or a flying creature or a creature with Reach against a flying creature, or even a creature with Shadow against one likewise). Also, they don’t exactly choose how your creatures take damage, they choose how to ASSIGN the damage (nothing will guarantee you’ll let that Groundbreaker deal its full 6 points to your Dralnu, Lich Lord, when you can sacrifice him before damage resolving). Unless a creature states, like Stalking Tiger, that it can only be blocked by one creature, or something like this, you can block a single creature with as many able blockers as you want, but each creature (also unless stated otherwise, like in Avatar of Hope) can block only ONE creature, never more at the same time (so basically, a creature can block only one creature, but one creature can be blocked by several creatures provided their all choosing that creature as their only block). Of course, the owner of the attacking creature chooses how he’ll assign the damage his creature would inflict, and you get to assign damage from ALL your blockers to the attacking creature.

elf lvr wrote:
Then, comes first strike damage (caused by creatures with first strike and double strike [double strike means dealing first strike and regular damage, not having two attacks, as I sort of thought before]). Even blockers can deal damage with first strike and kill the attacker before they take any damage. If a creature is killed with first strike damage, the other creature doesn’t have a chance to attack back (unless it too has first strike).

Perfectly put.

elf lvr wrote:
Then, all regular damage is done instantaneously. Each attacking creature deals damage to blocking creatures, and each unblocked creature deals damage to your life. If you have two or more creatures blocking one, your opponent decides how to put his damage on your creatures. Then, blocking creautres deal damage equal to THEIR power back to attacking creatures, EVEN IF THEY ARE KILLED BY THEIR ATTACKER (so long as they weren’t killed by first strike damage, of course).

As I mentioned above (and you below), not exactly instantaneously, there’s the "Combat Damage Step", where damage goes on the stack, and then resolve. So, this means that if you attack with Lightning Elemental, I can block with a Sakura-Tribe Elder, and let damage on the stack (4 from the elemental, 1 from the Sakura), and THEN sacrifice the Sakura to get a land. The Sakura’s effect will go on the stack on top of the combat damage, resolve (getting me a land), and then when damage resolves, the Elemental WILL try to deal 4 to the Sakura (which is not in play anymore, thus his damage will be prevented), and the Sakura (although dead by now) WILL deal 1 back, thus killing the Elemental. Tricksy, huh? Wink

elf lvr wrote:
Remember, all damage from creatures is removed at the end of the turn, and damage goes on the stack like anything else, but once damage goes on the stack, no one can do anything else till it resolves, so take any actions you need to (like playing any +X/+Y instants) before damage goes to the stack. Like, right after they declare attackers.

I *think* I’m right about all of this, but I’d like Felipe to confirm.

As I showed above, that’s not really true, you get to respond, but anything that changes the POWER of a creature, for the sake of damage, will be ignored, but changes to the toughness, for instance, will be taken into account. What does this mean? Say they attack with their 5/2 creature into your 3/3 creature full of abilities (except first-strike or double-strike, or any protection, of course) and you have a Giant Growth in hand while they have a Fists of the Anvil (only increases power). Now, you declare it as a blocker. It’s in their interest to trade, since your 3/3 is troublesome to them in some way (perhaps it draws you some cards when it attacks, or anything like this). Turning your 3/3 into a 6/6 won’t make a difference for the damage part, but it WILL make your creature live. So, what is the correct play? Declare it as a blocker, and let damage on the stack. AFTER it’s on the stack, you play Giant Growth, turning it into 6/6, so it lives WHILE killing their creature. Why? Because damage is already on the stack, so playing Fists of the Anvil won’t do squat for them. If you played the Growth BEFORE damage was on the stack, they’d get to respond and play Fists of the Anvil as well, so the creatures WOULD trade in the end. This way, they’re left with a dead card (no creatures to play it on), and you’re left with your creature!
Hope I helped, the combat damage IS one of the the most tricksy parts of playing MtG, and plays an important role in favor of experienced players in Limited play, so grasp the concepts well!
I don't like YOU.
darkconstantine
Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:16 am
thanks so much Homage !

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions