LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
elf lvr
Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:55 pm
Lands:
Spawning Pool (out for Palace when I can get them)
Gilt-Leaf Palace
Mosswort Bridge
Vivid Grove (out for Palace when I can get them)
Forest x9
Swamp x7

Multicolored
Nath of the Gilt-Leaf

Artifact
Springleaf Drum x2 (makes for a Llanlowar Elves out of any creature... could be dropped, though)

Green
Immaculate Magistrate
Elvish Champion x2
Imperious Perfect x2
Lys Alana Huntmaster x4
Jagged-Scar Archers x2
Elvish Harbinger x2
Wren’s Run Vanquisher x2
Nath’s Elite x2
Elvish Branchbender x2
Elvish Eulogist x3 (could be exchanged for Llanlowar, but I’m not sure which I prefer)
Gilt-Leaf Ambush x2
Elvish Promenade x2
Harmonize

Black
Lys Alana Scarblade (could be dropped)
Scarred Vinebreeder x3 (could be dropped)
Eyeblight’s Ending x3
Prowess of the Fair x3

Magistrates make one elf BIG. Champions and Perfects each give other elves +1/+1, so that’s handy. Huntsmasters give you another elf for each elf you play... how handy! The Archers can get HUGE, fast. Vanquishers are good 3/3 deathtouch for 2? Honestly! Branchbenders make huge forests. Nath’s Elite open up a good shot for all of your other creatures.

Prowess of the Fair is mean, for each nontoken elf that goes to your graveyard from play, you get a 1/1 elf token.

Elvish Promenade is awesome. It doubles your elves out. How great is that?
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:10 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Drop the Drums and possibly Lis Alana. Pack Terror or at least Shriekmaw, and please, use Boreal Druid and Llanowar Elves! Also, 3 Elvish Harbingers, since they make for a neat combo with my next suggestion: Wren’s Run Packmaster. Play an elf turn one, play Harbinger turn two, search Packmaster. Play it. If the opponent lets champion resolve, champion Harbinger. Packmaster alone can make an army out of nowhere. If it dies, harbinger returns to play, you can get another one. Wink Also, I’d pack2-3 Harmonize to restock, not just one. YOu can just sit on Packmaster and lay out a few creatures. Primal Rage might be cool, as well. Gilt-leaf ambush isnot necessary. You could pack, with primal rage and as another way to combo with harbinger, Changeling Titan, pretty good as well, a 7/7 for 5 mana.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:51 pm
Why Boreal Druid? Isn’t Birds of Paradise better?
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:13 pm
Yeah, but it’s not an elf, and it costs ’round 8-12 dollars more... Wink
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:21 am
I see.

But Llanowar Elves is the better of the two. Why would anyone use Boreal Druid over Llanowar Elves? Outside a snow deck...that is.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:30 am
It’s something LotR players lack a bit (not offending, it’s the truth), called redundancy. See, in LotR, it’s all about ONE game, so you try to squeeze as much as possible into one deck. In MtG, you have your sideboard to aid you, so you can focus on a primary strategy and adapt as necessary. Also, since you draw far less cards (normally, that is) than in LotR, you need to have redundancy to achieve your goal faster. If the ideal play is pop out an Elvish Harbibinger on turn two, and then pop out Wren’s Run Packmaster on turn three to sit on it making wolves for a while, you already have a weak point, in needing one of 4 harbingers in your hand early (which is why I make it a sub-strategy, a fine one indeed, but not a must for the deck to beat accordingly). If you ALSO depend of having one of 4 llanowar elves, chances get SEVERELY more slim, while if you have BOTH Boreal Druid AND Llanowar Elves, you can have up to EIGHT (almost always one in seven cards, which is an opening hand) one-mana elf accelerators, which both stay in theme AND push you ahead. Want added fun? If the deck is made monogreen, for instance, you can use a mana base of, say, 3-4 Scrying Sheets and 16-18 Snow-Covered Forests, to push you far ahead on the draws. However, this just works if you reveal a snow-land off the top, but what if you reveal a lowly Llanowar Elves in the late game? Now not only you had reduced odds of having one in your opening hand, but you have reduced odds of drawing past it with the Sheets. Boreal Druid, however, happens to be a SNOW-creature, meaning not only it’s colorless mana can be used to pay for the Sheets "snow" mana cost, but you can also draw past him if you happen to reveal one for a Sheets off the top, all this WHILE upping the chance of the explosive opening. Wink
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)