LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions
The First
Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:08 am
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
Hi,

what if I have a few Graft creatures in play, 1 doubling season (to keep things simple) and I play Ghostway?

When those creatures come into play, do they get 2x the number of graft tokens on them? If I had 5 +1/+1 tokens on a graft 2 creature, would that creature come into play with 2 tokens, 4, 7 or 9?

And if I graft (move a token to another creature that came into play at the same time) would that token also be doubled (I placed it on a permanent I control, didn’t I?).

I’m a bit confused by the wordings on those cards.

- The First
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:38 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Well, The First, graft may be a bit confusing, at first, and I think it’s going to need A LOT of ruling from Wizards before it becomes a simple game ability, like trample. First things first: don’t even worry about Ghostway, ’cause since it removes a creature from play, everything that’s "on" that creature is also removed (like auras), so all counters will go away as well, no matter how many are there.
So, the real problem is when they RETURN to play, or you play them from your hand with Doubling Season on the table.
There’s two possible explanations as to what would happen, and since I cannot access Wizards right now, to see if they have any ruling on this, I’ll post both:
1- The one you’re expecting to hear: all creatures would come into play with double the counters, and moving one of them to another creature would ALSO double them, but if for ANY reason a creature leaves play, even for a brief moment, bye bye counters. Unfortunately, this seems to be the wrong explanation.
2- I believe this one is the correct interpretation, and it involves a lot of semantics, but here it goes: Doubling Season affects you when you would put a counter or token into play. So, this means that cards with a gametext like "Put a(x) +X/+X counter(s) on target..." would have their effects doubled. This is also true for cards like Dovescape: "...counter it. It’s owner puts X 1/1 creature into play under his control". However, if you analize the gametext of graft creatures, you’ll notice it says something like this: "this creature comes into play with X +1/+1 counters on it", and "if a creature comes into play, you may move a +1/+1 counter...", you see, you don’t actually put any counters into play with these abilities, so they wouldn’t be doubled by Doubling Season. However, it’s as I said, although it would be the correct semantic interpretation, that’s just that: an interpretation, and since Wizards have the final word on rules, they may interpret it differently, so stay tuned for any new rulings on that.
PS: I suppose this would be your next question, so I’m answering it in advance:
If you have TWO doubling seasons (and the same is true for 3 or 4), each of them affects each token once (if you prefer, you can face it like this: each Doubling Season creates another copy of the token coming into play), not the Enchantments themselves. So, if you have 4 Doubling Seasons into play, and an instant allows you to put 3 1/1 tokens into play, all four of them will affect each token, turning one token into five. So, in the example above, you would put, instead, 15 tokens (3 for the spell, and 3 more copies for each Doubling Season).
Hope I could be of any help.
Felipe R. Musco
I don't like YOU.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:41 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
As I feared, people in Wizards can’t seem to read things right. Doublind Season affects every token as the first explanation I gave...
And 2 DS’s means tokens x4, 3 means tokens x8, and so on...
Too bad.
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:28 pm
This creature comes into play with a +1/+1 counter on it. Whenever another creature into play, you may remove a +1/+1 counter on from this creature onto it

That’s the text for graft. Note the comes into play, not just when you play it.

If an effect would put one or more tokens into play under your control, it puts twice that many into play instead. If an effect would place one or more counters on a permanent you control, it places twice that many on that permanent instead.

Thats the text for season. Basically, when a creature with graft comes into play from ANYWHERE, with a doubling season in play, it will get twice the number of counters because of wording cheapness.

Remember the huge differences between is played and comes into play. Comes into play meanns graft will work also with things like otherworldly journey (or phasing Wink)

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions