LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
NBarden
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:27 pm
--- description ---
Everyone says that blue is the only way to run control, but Black has some fun stuff as well.
--- end description ---

Okay, so everyone knows that blue based control is the reigning control deck of MtG. However, Black has potential to be a nasty control build in and of itself, with some decent counterspells, disruption and board-sweepers. So, I’m going to attempt to build a Black control deck that disrupts your opponent like crazy.

Lands:

Swamp x 18
Mutavault x 4

Instants:

Dash Hopes x 4
Nameless Inversion x 4
Extirpate x 3

Sorceries:

Damnation x 3
Thoughtseize x 4

Creatures:

Epochrasite x 4
Hypnotic Specter x 4
Oona’s Prowler x 4

Artifacts:

The Rack x 4

Planeswalker:

Lilliana Vess x 4

The point is to discard all their stuff, Extirpate their important stuff, and then use The Rack to hit them over and over again. Lilliana tutors ANYTHING, to make sure you get what you need.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:12 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Extirpate is a merely reactive card, not that great maindecked. Liliana could be a 2-of, and really, Dash Hopes? Might as well drop it. You could fit in a set of Stupor, perhaps some Augur of Skulls, Tombstalker, Phyrexian Arena, and maybe a loose Mind Shatter.
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:44 am
I thought you said that Thoughtseize/Extirpate was the proper way to run an Extirpate.

Confused.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:13 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
It is, but then again, how many decks are really HOSED by Extirpate? Not that many. So, you run Thoughtseize main (disrupts any kind of deck), and leave Extirpate on the sideboard, so you can board it in and combo with Thoughtseize for total anihilation. Also, I repeat, Dash Hopes suck, SPECIALY in control, since they CAN afford the life loss if it’s that important. And I can’t really see why a Swamp hasn’t been changed into a singleton Urborg...
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)