LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
elf lvr
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:45 am
As Felipe (and his somewhat depleted card collection) know, U/B discard has been a sort of pet deck of mine. Too bad none of it is standard, eh?

Well, no longer. Grab some of the Lorwyn Merfolk and lets have a go!

21 Lands:
Vivid Creek x4
Shelldock Isle x2
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth x2
Swamp x4
Island x9

20 Creatures:
Drowner of Secrets x4
Merfolk Harbinger x2
Surgespanner x2
Fallowsage x2
Ambassador Laquatus x2
Paperfin Rascal x2
Merfolk Looter x2
Tideshaper Mystic x2
Dralnu, Lich Lord

3 Enchantments:
Merrow Commerce x3

4 Instants:
Broken Ambitions x4

10 Sorceries:
Traumatize x2
Wistful Thinking x4
Diabolic Tutor x4

2 Planeswalkers:
Jace Beleren x2

Drowner turns Merfolk into a discard machine. Fallowsage and Surgespanner do cool stuff when tapped. Rascal’s smooth draws. Laquatus is obvious. Looters cycle, Harbingers tutor. Mystics are cheap and can fix Black if needed.

Dralnu replays Traumatize. Tutors, well.... tutor.

Jace is Jace.

Merrow Commerce = Double Discard or blockers. Either way.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
NBarden
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:14 pm
You seem to like all of my deck ideas. I run something like this, and the Vivids actually work halfway decently. But I like it best paired with white, because then you get access to Harpoon Sniper and Judge of Currents, which are crucial for staying alive.

Drop Jace. He’s to slow and I prefer more Fallowsage for drawing cards.

Also, try to get some Veteran of the Depths in there. Its going to be the only way you can keep from getting slaughtered by anything. Heavy Aggro would roast this deck. I use Harpoon Sniper to stop big creatures, Judge of Currents to recover from a big swing, and Veteran of the Depths to block or go aggro if necessary.

If not, AT LEAST run Cryptic Command for some minor removal. You may want to drop Wistful Thinking, it doesn’t seem that helpful, compared to Drowners and Traumatize.

Since you’re running Diabolic Tutor, cut the Merfolk Harbinger.

I seriously think you should consider running some white, if only for Judge of Currents.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
elf lvr
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:18 pm
-2 Harbinger
-2 Jace
-4 Island
-4 Wistful Thinking

+4 Wanderwine Hub
+4 Judge of Currents
+4 Cryptic Command

Look good?
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
NBarden
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:01 pm
Good. I’d think that Harpoon Sniper would be good as well, though, maybe 2x. In a tri-color deck, pulling Cryptic Command off that much would be difficult, to blue intensive. I’d drop 1 or 2 and work in a couple Harpoon Snipers, or add some Coalition Relics.

In fact, I’d prefer the Coalition Relics over a couple of the creatures. Accelerators = pwnage, Coalition Relic = mega pwnage.

Oh, and use Veteran of the Depths over Paperfin Rascal ALL the time. Cut the Tideshaper Mystic and Paperfin Rascals, drop a Cryptic Command and add 3 Harpoon Sniper and 2 Veteran of the Depths. Then work in Coalition Relic somehow.

You could probably drop the Merfolk Looter for a couple Extirpate. If you’re milling, Extirpate is awesome.
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:32 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
EL, drop Cryptic COmmand. It’s an AWESOME card, but not for your build. You rely on getting creatures on the board quickly, right? So, you need to tap your mana during your turn, WHILE protecting them. The way to do it in UW is Mana Tithe and Rune Snag. Also, I’dlike to mention Drowner of Secrets can tap even itself the turn it comes down due to a rules issue, and that I’d pack 4 Merrow Commerce, since you can dothe following:

-EOT arrives, all 4 Merrow Commerce trigger and go onto the stack.
-Tap your merfolk to mill.
-Let one of the Commerce’s ability resolve, untapping them all, and tap them again, with the others till on the stack.
With a single Drowner and 4 Commerce out, you can get 5 cards a turn!
(I’d run a few Ressurrections, in order to get the valuable Drowners back to play)
Keep an eye for Morningtide, some nice decking stuff coming out!
I don't like YOU.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:35 pm
Actually, can’t you tap the Merrow Commerce as well? Because it is a Merfolk.

So 1 Drowner + 4 Merrow Commerce = 20 cards?

I’m putting that in my deck. Very Happy
Shizknight
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:33 am
I agree with turning it W/U as much as i hate to admit it. I miss U/B mill decks.
Maybe in shadowmoor U/B milling will come back

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)