LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

66%
  [ 2 ]  66%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:28 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
--- description ---
The most annoying creatures of Magic are back!
--- end description ---

The Goblins are back!

This is a fun deck, which also capitolizes on the meta nowadays, striking dead your opponent before he even understands what attacked him (I mean, it COULDN’T POSSIBLY be a Goblin, now could it?)

MAIN DECK:
Blood Moon x4
Coat of Arms x2
Boros Recruit x4
Frenzied Goblin x4
War-Torch Goblin x4
Ben-Ben, Akki Hermit x2
Patron of the Akki x2
Akki Coalflinger x2
Zo-Zu the Punisher x2
Akki Drillmaster x2
Goblin Balloon Brigade x4
Goblin King x4
Raging Goblin x4
Mountain x20

SIDEBOARD:
Utvara Scalper x4
patron of the Akki x2
Coat of Arms x2
Shattering Spree x3
Shock x4

Now, this deck is all about fast beating with the Goblins, so mostly it consists on what it seems: a gigantic mass of Goblins. However, these are carefully selected Goblins, as you will all see in just a moment.
Now, let’s explain the card choices:
Blood Moon - The main star. The reason this deck is monored, contradicting the guild-building meta, is to make full use of this card, I mean, EVERYONE uses non-basic lands, be it Legendaries, Shocklands, Bouncelands (Karoos?) or Painlands, everyone is using them. A lot of times, they’re actually the only means of producing one of their colored manas, short from, maybe, signets. So imagine the power of Blood Moon, combined with Goblin King? You must be thinking: "Oh, ok, and AFTER everyone finds out about the Moon, how do I win?" Well, aside from HAVING another ways of winning, supposing they find out about the Moon strategy. What exactly are they going to do? I mean, not everyone is packing a load of basic lands on their SB, nor are they all playing G or W so they can destroy the Moon. This is a card to truly be feared in a cheap, fast and furios deck like this!
Coat of Arms - Another way of turning these Goblin fleas into gigantic powerhouses! Just imagine having Goblins big enough to survive Wildfire!!! Also, when the flying guys are out, you can dish out a serious beating through the air!
Boros Recruit - First turn first-striker? Well, now THAT’S nice! Kill those wretched Savannah Lions without even losing a unit!
Frenzied Goblin - Another win condition by itself, just take big blockers (or flying ones) out of the way and hammer away!
War-Torch Goblin - Go aggo yourself! Just see your opponents face as he carefully thinks if he blocks your 1/1 Goblin with his 2/3 Kird Ape! Now that’s fun to look at!
Ben-Ben, Akki Hermit - Aggro giving you trouble? Well, this guy should even things out, with all the spare mountains you’ll have and all, since this deck is extremely cheap.
Patron of the Akki - Well, ok, so he’s not a Goblin. However, playing him in response of sacrificing a blocking Goblin will sure strike opponents numb! And he’s pretty big by himself, of course!
Akki Coalflinger - Having first-strikers never hurt anyone, right?
Zo-Zu the Punisher - Let’s face it, if you have 3-4 lands out, you won’t need much more (only if you’re gonna play Coat of Arms, in which case it’s worth the 2 damage!). So, hurt your opponents for even thinking about having more mana than you!
Akki Drillmaster - Just in case you need hasting evasion creatures for a quick finish, or a Patron of the Akki out of nowhere!
Goblin Balloon Brigade - You MAY need some flying blockers... If you don’t, even better, 4 more sky attackers!
Raging Goblin - Eternal. THE Goblin, this guy, IMO, epitomizes the Goblin race: fast, furious and reckless! I HAD to use him!
Goblin King - Dispenses explanations. Just pair him up with Blood Moon and swing for the kill.

Sideboard explanations:
Utvara Scalper - This deck is all about beating FAST, so if evasion seems to be the way, go for it!
Patron of the Akki - In case you REALLY need this big guy out fast!
Coat of Arms - For serious pumping, in case it proves more useful than the Blood-King combo.
Shattering Spree - Although it DOES help with Jitte, you have more than enough creatures to block a jitted one. This is here mainly for STALLING a deck (just combine it with Blood Moon, should an opponent rely too much on duals and signets), just see the look on their faces when they get outraced by Goblins!
Shock - If you’re having trouble defensively, this can always surprise opponents.

Well, I hope you all liked this deck, I’ve put a lot of effort into making something different, fun and yet competitive. So far, the only downsides to this deck is the lack of ability to stop WoG decks (although you DO have enough creatures to take 1 or 2 WoGs...), and the worst matchup: Heartbeat. However, IF you can manage to stall your opponent by depriving them of dual generators, then you have a chance.
Even though this is not an all powerful deck, I really enjoyed building it, just tell me wether you guys liked it or not.
I don't like YOU.
Cobra
Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:46 am
Goblins are fun... Cool

I was about to just say "looks fun, but won’t beat anything" because I was thinking you’d just run out of steam, dealing some early damage but then stalling when your opponent’s big guns hit the table. However, the Blood Moon + Goblin King combo might just be enough to change that. I’d suggest some burn maindeck to help push damage through as well.

As you say, with all these little creatures Wrath of God is your worst enemy. (Savage Twister and Pyroclasm are up there, too.) Not sure exactly what to do about it though.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:04 pm
I’m not THAT worried with Pyroclasm and Twister, ’cause I could just ditch Blood Moon and maindeck more Coat of Arms, since they’ll already have Mountains that I can cross with my King. And as to WoG, well, this will wipe out THEIR creatures too, and I seriously believe taht with this kind of deck design I can refill the table faster than my opponents. When that happens, all I have to do is play a King for a finishing blow! But white worries me more ’cause of Worship than Wrath of God... Might consider adding Pyroclams... About the burn, I’m considering adding Seal of Fire and Char, but only to SB, like Shock. Why? Because of the deck’s theme. And also, I have enough creatures to block, unless my opponent plays A LOT of flying creatures very fast. Since not all decks can do this, I consider the damage to be bigger if I just stick with the Goblins, since playing a King will make 4 1/1 Goblins into 4 2/2, most of them costing 1 mana. Adding a coat of arms, they’ll all become 6/6, and I think this is better than switching to some direct burn. However it may prove useful in the SB, should the need arise... But again, what to cut? I’m thinking about Utvara Scalper, but short from it, the only thing I could afford to cut is Patron of the Akki, and that’d only give me a 6-card gap, not an 8... Since the deck is cheap, I could consider simply adding 2 cards, however, I think 2 burns will prove useless, and slow the deck rather than helping it.
I don't like YOU.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:19 pm
Hey, c’mon, isn’t there a good soul around here to at least bomb my deck with critics? Laughing
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:56 pm
Sorry, didn’t see it. Very Happy

Um. First off, drillmaster is too slow unless you’re planning on comboing off with a hidesugu or something; at three mana, there’s far more useful things to do.

Rabble rouser is conspicuously missing...

I think four coats should be there because I’m not sure you can push twenty damage in without it, and perhaps run a little bit of flames of the blood hand etc. for dealing with WoG or hierarch.

Ben-ben seems out of place here, because he is strictly defensive in an agro deck.

I like all the one drops, the king, and the idea. Just need some work ironing out those bigger creatures and coats.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:06 pm
I like the deck idea, and the fact that you’re actually using Blood Moon thoughtfully! I think that sacing a blocking goblin to play Patron of the Akki isn’t quite the way to go, instead sacing the goblin after they attack and blocking with the Patron Razz.
Good to see Goblins aren’t completely forgotten in this age of guilds.
KillerKiku
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:01 pm
Hello.

I like Goblins so I think I like your idea.

But you have to push it and make it burn hotter.

Maybe blazing shoal might help you to give them the power, some sort of land destruction would also be fine.

Can be better... Cool
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:20 pm
Blazing shoal isn’t very powerful right now- its a little too overpriced for my tastes, and unless you have some sort of large, red card to remove, I don’t think it should necessarily be here. I like the landkilling idea, though, good synergy with zozu Very Happy

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest