LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

87%
  [ 7 ]  87%

12%
  [ 1 ]  12%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 8
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:09 pm
--- description ---
An introduction to the new Hunters-block threat cards, with a decklist to help players make good use of them.
--- end description ---

When the Threat mechanic was released in the Return of the King set, it was an instant success. Fun and powerful, with many possibilities as to how you use it. Naturally, when the War of the Ring block included no Threat cards, players were disappointed. With the release of The Hunters, however, Threat cards have returned.

The object of this article is to create a Hunters block deck involving threats. Unfortunately, not many Shadow cards in The Hunters use threats. There is only one Evil Men card and one Uruk-hai card dealing with threats, and although the Wraith culture has 4 threat cards, the Wraith culture in this set is too small to focus a deck on. It is in Orcs that we must place our trust: 7 solid threat cards, with several other cards that work well with them.

First, I’d like to introduce one of my favorite minions: Black Land Chieftain. His text:

(5) •Black Land Chieftain
Minion • Orc
Strength: 12
Vitality: 3
Site Number: 4
To play, spot an Orc minion.
When you play Black Land Chieftain, you may add a threat for each Free Peoples possession and each Free Peoples artifact you can spot.
15R99

When I saw him, the saliva flowed from my mouth freely (no kidding). Since so many decks have multitudes of possessions, there’s a good chance that just playing this minion will max out your threats. What does this mean for you? In one word: fun.

In case your opponent does not play many possessions or artifacts, we’ll need a back up to add some threats. Enter the Black Land Observer and the Black Land Spy. The Observer spots an Orc condition to add a threat; not bad at all. The Spy spots an Orc possession to add a threat. Both also have a side ability to increase their strength.

What do you do with all these threats? There are several possibilities. You can use Black Land Overlord to exert companions, you can play Black Land Shrieker for cheap, or you can overwhelm companions with Black Land Commander. Another fun thing to do is to use minions like the Black Gate Sentry to kill a companion, triggering all the threat wounds.

If their fellowship gets too large, Tower Troll will cut it down to size, triggering threat wounds. Both his abilities are wonderful against large fellowships, which are all too common in block play.

Ulaire Lemenya, Eternally Threatening is a cheap and effective way to add threats. Very good if they opt to not play any possessions or artifacts, thus not triggering Black Land Chieftain.

For conditions, Coordinated Effort provides twilight for your minions, and Unmistakable Omen can kill a companion. Unmistakable Omen reminds me of the old Sauron culture card Breached, yet Unmistakable Omen has many improvements, such as being a condition, requiring fewer threats, and having a side ability.

To finish it off, Orkish Hunting Spear makes your minions much stronger, and Unreasonable Choice gives your opponent a difficult choice: discard a condition (chosen by you), or add a bunch of twilight. Either way, you win.

One thing to note is that even though these minions have text dealing with threats, they can also have a large amount of strength, without any events or possessions. The Commander can have 13 strength for a cost of 3, the observer can have 11 strength for a cost of 3, the Spy 13 can have 15 strength for a cost of 3, and the Shrieker can have 20 strength for as low as 0 twilight.

Although the deck may not be tier 1 yet, the next 2 expansions could easily change that. Here’s hoping! Cool

The decklist:

(Keep in mind, this is a Hunters Block deck)

Black Gate Sentry x3
Black Land Chieftain x4
Black Land Overlord x3
Black Land Observer x2
Black Land Shrieker x2
Black Land Spy x2
Black Land Commander x2
Ulaire Lemenya, Eternally Threatening x2
Tower Troll x3
Coordinated Effort x3
Orkish Hunting Spear x3
Unmistakable Omen x2
Unreasonable Choice x2

Note: The main site that is needed in this deck is City Gates. Include it by all means.
Last edited by AnxiousChieftain on Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in totalMODS RULE. - lem0nhead
dragon50
Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:20 pm
Play scouting orc, play chieftain, add threats, play orc shrieker! Very Happy Very Happy
Cleston
Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:38 am
Hey Ancient, great article!

About the article, I would love to see this deck in action, or a bit talking about match-ups, as it's a new decktype, and people get curious about "does that thing work out of paper?"

About the deck, I'd include 1 or 2 of the new Lemenya, which is very cruel and cheap way of adding threats anti-cultures.

I was going to talk about Captured by the Ring and the new They Stole It condition, but then I saw it was Hunters Block... Razz

keep it coming,
cheers!
- "If I die, your deck will crumble!"
Gandalf (any of them)
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:26 pm
Cleston wrote:
About the article, I would love to see this deck in action, or a bit talking about match-ups, as it's a new decktype, and people get curious about "does that thing work out of paper?"

I don't play online, and since Hunters was delayed offline, I won't be able to play with this deck for several months. 'Tis a shame, though, because this looks like a really fun deck. It's on my list of 'Decks to Make'. Smile

Cleston wrote:
About the deck, I'd include 1 or 2 of the new Lemenya, which is very cruel and cheap way of adding threats anti-cultures.

Very good idea. I forgot about him when considering the possibilities.

Thanks for the comments.
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
The First
Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:52 pm
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
Hey,

cool article AncientChieftain!

I always liked threaths and I'm kinda sad that I left the LotR scene now that they are back. I still play LotR every once and a while but I can't afford to (or won't) buy both Magic and LotR cards.

~ Athelas, the healing herb

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest