LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

66%
  [ 2 ]  66%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
Aurellius
Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:00 am
--- description ---
A new Magic: The Gathering player reports on his games of the Golgari vs. House Dimir.
--- end description ---

Being fairly new to MTG- having actually only started playing in the past few months, starting from Saviours and now moving into Ravnica, i was excited about looking into the vast darkness and secrecy of the ’secret guild’ - Dimir.

Nothing seemed more attractive to me than a deck that could win by bypassing an opponents largest creatures with a simple flick of the wrist and a card like Glimpse the Unthinkable (ah how fun that card is).

Thus to say the least i bought my starter deck and sat down for a couple of test games. Being new i don’t recognise all the twists and turns that can be made through the game mechanics like some of my more experienced friends, but i thought after examining the deck i’d be able to finally best my friends and prove to them i was no longer their apprentice.

Ah how wrong could i have been.

I didn’t expect to win all of my first matches from an unopened deck, but as my friend was also playing his straight out of the box, but alas i was swept away three to nothing- having only gotten close to winning once.

Hindsight is 20/20 and in this case possibly even better...

Firstly i should have played a more Dimir style (i obviously still hadn’t recovered from my G/W spirit deck from Kamigawa). Secondly i didn’t know the new rules mechanics as well as i should have... becasue my friend was playing as Dimir’s worst enemy- the Golgari.

Nothing was more depressing than seeing all my best efforts at milling simply being used to the advantage of my opponent. Greater Mossdog’s were appearing everywhere and my life count was going down quickly- i just didn’t have enough to defend against this onslaught.

And so each game ended- my life points at zero and my opponent’s deck slightly reduced from the last games total.

Dredge pretty much had my number from the start of each game, and it continued to get worse as my friend started playing woth Golgari Cave Troll. He would dredge it and i soon realized the huge problem. i had unwittingly, in my milling, created my worst enemy as the troll came from the graveyard as at one point a 17/17 (or something like that- i don’t really remember, i was too busy gaping- i didn’t even know he had the card at the time). Nothing in my deck stood a chance. The odd Disembowel only really delayed it’s inevitable return.

And so i continued to lose. Cards like Recollect compounded my problems as no matter how much went in the graveyard my opponent always pulled them back. Even Glimpse the Unthinkable didn’t really help- it only made the loss more crushing after he pulled the same win, only with very few cards left in his library.

But hopefully i have found the answer.

After a little bit of research, i found some lovely cards that might just down the Golgari for good. They’re all good for pretty much one reason against the Golgari- remove from game.

Cards like these:

Shred Memory
Dimir Machinations

and of course my absolute favourite,

Circu, Dimir Lobotomist

These cards all allow me to remove of that pesky troll before he becomes a problem, in combination with my previous milling cards. Plus, Circu can stop them ever playing the card again in the game!

Curse my own ignorance for not looking this stuff up before, but hopefully now i’m well on the way to getting past that Golgari road block and start proving to my friends i’m the real deal.

Aurellius
Coconut
Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:20 pm
I think you forget that mill is the easiest way to kill dredge. There's nothing worse than getting traumatized in a dredge deck followed by a glimpse the unthinkable for a pretty easy kill. Dimir should have the upper hand in this matchup...

The only prayer Golgari has is the cave-troll, which can be chump-blocked with ease. Just stall the troll and kill the library!
Aurellius
Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:22 am
Yeah in a lot of cases the troll was what did it, because of the sheer amount of creatures i'd put into his graveyard for him.

I think i also forgot to mention his abundant use of Recollect and Moldervine Cloak. He tends to always have more creatures out which tends to not be too much of a problem cos i use plenty of Last Gasps and Disembowels- but sometimes the cloak that forever returns really screws my game plan- i'm constantly trying to stop the damage and using those spells which can also be useful on his bigger targets.

Like i said, the only problem is the later the game goes, the more powerful the troll becomes and even if my opponent only has a couple of other creatures, it's normally more than me and the troll wipes out my creatures and i seem to always fall short of the mark.

There was one particularly fantastic game where i got his library down to 1 card and somehow he managed to beat me with the troll... still fun though.[/b]
Aurellius
Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:24 am
mmm... maybe i should have named this Golgari: Dimir's Worst Enemy?
Aurellius
Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:31 am
just as an interesting note i'll put this deck up so you guys can give me some tips... i'm working on a bit of a budget and can mostly only work from the Kamigawa and Ravnica - just wish i had a Twincast...

it's still under construction but... well... you know the deal- don't really have enough cards to make it exactly what i need yet.

Land – 23
10x Swamp
10x Island
2x Dimir Aqueduct
1x Duskmantle, House of Shadow

Creatures - 18
2x Dimir House Guard
2x Sewerdreg
2x Belltower Sphinx
3x Vedalken Entrancer
3x Lurking Informant
1x Circu, Dimir Lobotomist
4x Dimir Infiltrator
1x Szadek, Lord of Secrets

Spells – 19
3x Dimir Machinations
3x Disembowel
3x Last Gasp
3x Shred Memory
3x Induce Paranoia
1x Glimpse the Unthinkable
3x Psychic Drain

Maybe a few more glimspes too if i can get them..
T2_Fr33K
Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:59 pm
Aurellius wrote:
mmm... maybe i should have named this Golgari: Dimir's Worst Enemy?

you did...
Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:24 pm
originally it was without the question mark - implied something completely different

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest