LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
T2_Fr33K
Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:01 pm
I'm pretty sure bop will be useless "in response I darkblast..". Without a watchwolf and a jitte, the bop "combo" won't fly... I would say Bops are mainly there because turn 3 hierarch is sweet...
physcosick
Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:54 pm
You seem to be doing a lot of thinking "I could this............. or I could go like this" but you never really say..... "I can do this... but my opponent does this... so I have to do this... and it works for a while but then they play this..." It seems your doing a lot of goldfishing and nowhere near enough actual playtesting. Sure you have Sideboarding in your article. But I don't really think most of those cards will acually help your bad match ups. Which appears to be most decks. Rock, Gifts (I didn't see Gifts in the sideboarding), BoW (thats easy for almost everyone, even mill..... depending on the decklists), Rock will more then likely school you depending on the build, Critical Mass?, MUC could possibly dominate you if you get off slow (with the new lists wiht Wildfire in MUC you will lose to it hands down), I could go on and on.
Your big bad wolf Tolsmir dude is not good. This deck is suposed to be an aggro deck, but in creatures that are aggro instead of a creature that requires so much time and investment. Even if its Crown of Covergence..... which isn't that great. Anything is better then him.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:37 pm
everybody complains that I "don't playtest" and "tolsimir sucks". Interestingly enough, from playtesting I concluded that he's a necessity! the ability to have a 5/5 watchwolf and a 6/6 hierarch is crazy.

As for gifts, I had success by just playing mana acceleration first turn. that lead to two spells second turn, so they counter one max. Then I can start the beating, playing too many spells to counter every turn. Then, the turn they gifts, I can tolsimir or hierarch and I win. It's only a bad matchup if I don't draw nay birds or llanowars to start.

I'm interested to know how a MUC deck has wildfire since WILDFIRE IS RED.

Speed with naturalize takes care of bow easily. even if they go off turn five, I can either kill them the turn before it resolves, or naturalize it and kill them the turn after.

For the last time (and I mean it this time) the deck isn't pure agro. It's controlled agro. Meaning I get some quick guys then cap it off as I go by making them grow.

And yes, I do think. Sorry if this offends anybody, but I try to not run godhand vs. godhand all the time. You can't possibly playtest everything, so some thinking is involved.

I found convergance was a bad fit on the mana curve, actually. Having 8 bits of mana acceleration means I only can fit the very best 2-mana cards- like jitte and watchwolf. Also, I shouldn't have mana to waste on convergance.
Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:22 pm
La_Sin_Grail wrote:
As for gifts, I had success by just playing mana acceleration first turn. that lead to two spells second turn, so they counter one max. Then I can start the beating, playing too many spells to counter every turn. Then, the turn they gifts, I can tolsimir or hierarch and I win. It's only a bad matchup if I don't draw nay birds or llanowars to start.
What Gifts has counters.... and if it was a good player he'd be able to murder this deck. I know cause I played wih Gifts control for weeks and won a lot with it so I know how to play it. And it should never run counters. Your obviously not playing against a good gifts deck, no offense.

La_Sin_Grail wrote:
Its called splashing red. I know someone now that has an awesome URB COntrol with Counters, Cranials, wildfire, pyroclasm, etc. It is very possible and it is good.

La_Sin_Grail wrote:
Speed with naturalize takes care of bow easily. even if they go off turn five, I can either kill them the turn before it resolves, or naturalize it and kill them the turn after.
I never claimed it was a bad matchup. In fact i think it should be good for you. Cause like i said, it should be good for anyone. Its not a good deck.

La_Sin_Grail wrote:
I found convergance was a bad fit on the mana curve, actually. Having 8 bits of mana acceleration means I only can fit the very best 2-mana cards- like jitte and watchwolf. Also, I shouldn't have mana to waste on convergance.
Ok fair enough. I just threw a bad suggestion out cause you need something else in the deck other then the card that shall not be named......... spekaing of which

[quote="La_Sin_Grail"]everybody complains that I "don't playtest" and "tolsimir sucks". Interestingly enough, from playtesting I concluded that he's a necessity! the ability to have a 5/5 watchwolf and a 6/6 hierarch is crazy.
quote]Playtesting is the msot important part of the deck making process. The more you playtest the more familiar you are with the deck and how to play it and how to play against other decks. That said you can then tweak the deck and add and take out things to try new things to make it better. In theory, Tolsimir may be good. But it will never last and it just isn't worth it. You should have killed your opponent or you are about to kill him by the time you play him. If you draw him early, then you just wasted a good early play that could be beating your opponents face in. Instead of playing a threat, you have to play other things like Birds and Elves, etc to get the mana to play Tolsimir. instead of worrying about mana and laying early beats and waiting for a couple turns without playing a major threat, because of your curve, and just worrying 100% about early beats. That way you don't have to worry about mana acceleration since everything is cheap and then you can add more beaters like Gnarled Mass or .... Might of Oaks for Birds (just so Birds isn't a dead card late game)....... ummmm Vinelasher Kudzu....... idk.... the list goes on and on.......... if you disagree with this then you are not a good aggro player...... sorry..... but it's the truth.......

La_Sin_Grail wrote:

For the last time (and I mean it this time) the deck isn't pure agro. It's controlled agro. Meaning I get some quick guys then cap it off as I go by making them grow.
If it isn't PURE AGGRO then don't give it an aggro title in the subject line.... something like Aggro-Control. But there is no control to this deck. Your plan should be full out aggro or you will fail in the long run. Controlled Aggro just sounds weird.....
physcosick
Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:24 pm
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That was me, I hate not having to log in to be able to post, I never pay attention if I'm logged or not.
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 pm
La_Sin_Grail wrote:
Its called splashing red. I know someone now that has an awesome URB COntrol with Counters, Cranials, wildfire, pyroclasm, etc. It is very possible and it is good.

Yes, its possible its good. It's also possible that I said MUC meaning MONO blue control. Mono comes from the latin root for one. One color... splashing makes URC or RUC.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:15 pm
That was me^^^ in case you didn't get it. I probably should have tested against URC, too, but when I say MUC I mean MUC.
physcosick
Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:11 am
well yeah, its mono blue control except it has a few different cards then normal. It still acts like MUC until the play Mountains and then Wildfire. However, they may add burn and stuff liek that, but that makes it pure RU control. UC with red splash for wildfire is techinquelly not MUC, but it wors just the same, so you just catagorize it as the same, pretty much. I think it is much better, since it has an aggro game, easily since Wildfire destroys all of their things, pretty ,much

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest