LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:49 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
I forgot this rule, and since it might have changed, thought I should ask ’round here to see if anyone can enlighten me on the subject. If a card has Protection from Red, it can’t be targeted by red spells. But what about damage, other from creatures? For instance, if I have Paladin en-Vec out, and an opponent plays Pyroclams, he is affected by the spell, but is he damaged by it? ’Cause since he can freely block any red creature and not take damage, I believe he would survive, but would he? This is really important, since I’m working on a deck that uses Bathe in Light as a protection against Pyroclasms, Wildfires and Savage Twisters, so if the rule does notwork like this, my whole idea has just gone down the drain...
I don't like YOU.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:40 pm
Protection from <quality> on a permanent means the following things:
Prevent all damage that would be dealt to this permanent from <quality> sources. (for example, Pyroclasm)
This permanent cannot be targeted by anything that is (like instant) or has (like creatures) <quality>.
This permanent cannot have any auras or equipment attached to it if those auras or equipment have <quality>.
This permanent cannot be blocked by creatures that have <quality> (this works if anything that normally isn’t a creature, but does have protection, somehow becomes a creature)
I’m sorry if I missed any, but those are the main ones that come to mind.

Let me know if you want help with specific situations, but the biggest gray area is this:
If an effect doesn’t damage or target says "all <permanent type>", like Wrath of God or Evacuation, it will affect the permanent with protection, even if the protection is the right color (like a creature with pro: white for Wrath or a creature with pro: blue for Evacuation)

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions