LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

75%
  [ 3 ]  75%

25%
  [ 1 ]  25%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 4
ingold55
Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:47 pm
Joined: 10 Oct 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: Out on the front line
--- description ---
This article looks at how to make a deck with using mainly common and uncommon cards. True it is cheap, but it is also sturdy.
--- end description ---

This is mainly for those who are first starting to collect, and want a cheap deck.

The first thing you should ask is, “How can I protect myself from my opponent?” Does he play with “archery”, “strength”, and/or “corruption”?

Strength is the first topic. Sword of Gondor is good to start out with so let’s use that. Now that we have our main weapon we need something else to get our companions strong. There are a wide variety of events, if we are going to just focus on strength, then Swordsman of the Northern Kingdom, War and Valor, Swordarm of the White Tower, and a few others are what you would need. With Swordarm of the White Tower, we need something to make our companions defender +1 we could add I Will Go. But it is unique, so what else will we use? Elendil’s Valor is always a choice. However I am going to focus more on combining how to fight strength, archery, and corruption, not just one of these. So we’ll use Swordsman of the Northern Kingdom, and War and Valor to boost the rangers in strength.

Wait. What about the minions that are way to strong for us to win against in combat, minions like Sauron? There are two wonderful cards that work so well together: A Ranger’s Versatility, allowing you to exhaust a minion at a forest of river site, and Ranger’s Bow which lets you exert bearer to wound a roaming minion bearer is skirmishing.

But back on track with strength, there is another card called Eregion’s Trail that will help in allowing you to have a better chance at winning skirmishes. Hold up, Eregion’s Trail, Ranger’s Bow, War and Valor, Swordsman of the Northern Kingdom, and Sword of Gondor all deal with roaming minions. Minions won’t be roaming forever, why do I want those? Man the Walls allows us to make a minion skirmishing a Gondorian man site +1 so adding three, will allow me to make a site four minion’s site higher than 4. However, you can use one Man the Walls and one Ancient Roads. I prefer this way.

Archery. The card Natural Cover allows us to make the minion archery total -2 while at a forest site, but not every site will be a forest site so Great Shield will help us in our effort to stop archery, however the card Mithril Coat (Mines of Moria) is much better because it also makes the minion archery total –1, does not allow damage bonuses, and minions cannot gain strength from weapons.

Within the idea of strength and stopping archery, you will still take wounds, so Banner of the Westernesse is very helpful. I personally would add two, but that is only my opinion.

Now, the Hobbit side of this deck helps with corruption. Brace of Coneys is what I picture as the ideal burden remover, but Nine Fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom is another good card. Which do we add? Let’s take a look at them. Brace of Coneys says “Bearer must be a ring bound Hobbit, Discard this card to remove a burden.” Nine Fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom says “Exert a Hobbit to remove a burden or two threats.” So I would say add two Brace of Coneys, and two Nine Fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom.

So what we have is simply this.

A lot of forests and river sites.

Starting fellowship

The one Ring: the Ruling Ring
Frodo Tired Traveler
Ranger of Ithilien x2

Companions

Frodo Tired Traveler x1
Ranger of Ithilien x3
Faramir Son of Denethor x1

Possessions

Sword of Gondor x4
Ranger Bow x2
Great Shield x1 or Mithril Coat x1
Banner of the Westernesse x2
Hobbit sword x1
Brace of Coneys x2

Events/Conditions

Swordsman of the Northern Kingdom x4
War and Valor x3
Ranger’s Versatility x3
Nine Fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom x2
Man the Walls x1
Ancient Roads x1
Natural Cover x2
Eregion’s Trail x2

If you don’t know some of these cards you should look them up on the Cobra Cards’ search engine.
Earthshaker
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:31 am
I like the article but it's a pity its not legal for standard but only FOTR-block.

Maybe another time Wink
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:33 pm
I gave it a 3, but the deck itself is not going to work well. It tries to protect against too many things, and it isn't strong enough to do well against any of them.

Plus, you should explain why you chose the companions you did.
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest