LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:11 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
I’m not really sure as to where post suggestions related to the site, but only for the Magic Area (perhaps there should be an area like this), so I decided to post it here for now, but any Moderator or Cobra himself may feel free to move this thread to where they see fit.
I’d like to talk about our articles. I’ve already discussed re-writing and re-posting an Article to get better grades, you can check it out in Brian Boitano’s post at the Feedback Forum.
So, the suggestions I have left are mainly for helping the Deck Design Archives by Cobra.
Have you seen the way I’m posting my decks now? I think I copied it from Ivaldi or Osion, not sure, though. But I think it’s a nice way of displaying things, helps understanding and visualizing the deck, PLUS give you some better proportions notions. I think we should write decklists like that, ALL OF US! Some of you might be thinking: "But what about OUR writing style?" Ok, that’s a fair question, but see, you would still get to write the Article itself on your own (and let’s agree with something: decklists and strategy articles are far different things, if someone simply entered a deck list, with no comments, as an Article, he’d get bombed FOR SURE!), we would just be helping "padronize" or "standardize" things, so the Deck Archives would be similar to look at (meaning, easier on the eyes), if you’re only interested in checking some decks.
Also, the threads there direct you to the thread where the deck appeared in the first place, so another suggestion would be to always enter deck changes AT THE MAIN POST, simply notifying us by posting "new decklist", "decklist improved" or something like that, so we could go check it out, and if a person then clicked on a deck, he’d go directly to the "final" Deck List.
Now, I’d also like to point out something you SHOULDN’T do. Check my Milling Deep Article. I altered the deck at the main post, but I deleted the original design. So, if you read the replies, they don’t seem to make sense at all! "But if we kept the decklists, the main post would be HUGE". Well, not likely. All we should keep is the ORIGINAL deck design and the FINAL deck design. By doing this, we’d also be contributing to richer Articles. For instance, instead of deleting Will-o’-the-Wisp from the decklist and cut out his explanation, I could simply leave it as it is (explaining why I had picked him), and explain why I decided to drop him later.
These are just some thoughts, though, and I’m not sure wheter you guys are going to like it or not, but I really think standards in Deck Lists, if nothing else, should be used, and I think it’ll make the discussions better, as they’ll ALWAYS improve, with MORE analysis.
Oh, and btw , the FINAL Deck List should come BEFORE the Original one, since when a player found the deck through the Deck Archives, the first list would be the one to assemble.
So, what do you guys think about this?
PS: There’s no rule that says I can’t play a casual game with Ghost Husk, and neither a rule that states I can’t enter a tournament with a deck someone intended for casual, right? So, I think all Decks should have a SB, at least for guidance...
Oh, and Cobra, I’d like your feedback on this one, too, after all, it IS your site, and if you don’t feel it is at all necessary/nice to create some standards, it’s your call.
Last edited by Felipe Musco on Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in totalI don't like YOU.
Cobra
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:28 pm
First off, Felipe, could you consider breaking up your long posts into shorter ideas/paragraphs, rather than having one huge block of text? It would help my sanity, thanks. Wink

A bit of clarification on the re-posting of articles... If we’re talking about "oops, someone voted low -- false start, I’ll post again," that’s certainly not OK. But it is allowed to post more than one article in a month, so if user comments (or the release of a new set!) cause huge changes in the deck, it would be allowed to rewrite is as a new article. (And of course, the voters get to judge whether it’s really new or not.)

What you suggest for deck posts is an interesting idea; in the near future I’ll be posting some more specific recommendations for organizing posts in each of the forums, and may include something like that for the Deck Clinics.

However, I’m not sure I would want to present anything as "final." When is a decklist ever final? Laughing
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:51 pm
Felipe, I’d like to say first off that I like your standards, as you’ve listed them. I’ll sure try to adhere to them, but I wouldn’t expect everyone to adopt. I mean, it’s a better idea to start a new fashion trend and hope for it to catch on than to impose a dress code, if you get the metaphor.

The only standard you state that I don’t quite agree with is the "Final deck first" idea. I think that if you label them correctly, then leaving them in chronological order would make more sense to a reader, and they wouldn’t have to jump from the bottom to the top to see what were the changes, they would see the decklist first as its first form, and second as its (Cobra’s right, "Final" is limiting Razz) latest form.

Here’s hoping the trends catch on! Applause
"Not again" -Hans
Hello kind Sir or Madam, I am a polite sig virus. Please put me into your fine and dandy signature so that I might continue to replicate. Thank you for your time.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:57 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Yeah, I guess that correctly labeled decks wouldmake more sense in cronological order. And by "Final", I meant the last build...
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion