LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

20%
  [ 1 ]  20%

40%
  [ 2 ]  40%

40%
  [ 2 ]  40%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 5
General Tsao
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:22 pm
--- description ---
Warning: Building of this deck will cause your opponents to curse you and attempt to strangle the life out of you. Control is back and its ready to win
--- end description ---

There are more ways to win than just doing enough damage to kill your opponent. Decking has always been a cruel but very brilliant way to win a game. Every card is a resource, and getting rid of that resource is a great way to win games. That’s why discard is a very powerful mechanic, but I’m not here to mess with discard. This deck is all about putting your opponent’s cards in the graveyard and laughing at your opponent’s attempt to even make a difference by countering/killing any threat they manage to get out.

U/B have always been my favorite colors, and I realized that a control deck based on decking can become godly when using the two colors. (By godly, I mean annoying to play against and still powerful). The deck itself will be one of the more expensive decks that can be built but it is worth the extra amount of money it takes to build. (In case you’re wondering, it is a pure Type Two deck) Well, onto the deck that will make its player one of the most hated and feared. Like Micahvelli said, “it is better to be feared than to be loved”

Main-Deck

Mana base (20) :
The problem with most decks that aren’t mono-colored are that the other color land doesn’t come up nearly often enough. With this deck there are almost no troubles with color (unless somehow you draw all of one basic land which is extremely hard to do)

4 Underground River
4 Watery Grave

Those lands speak for themselves. Both are the most efficient (besides original dual land) when it comes to generating the colored mana that is needed.

1 Shizo, Death’s Storehouse
1 Oboro, Palace in the Sky
1 Minamo, School at Water’s Edge
1 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea

Shizo is a backup plan in case the decking isn’t coming so smoothly. Legendary creatures in black or blue are extremely good so damage is a possible win condition with this deck. Oboro is a better island. Minamo could untap any of the legendary lands which can prove useful. Mikokoro is just another way to draw more cards.

5 Island
3 Swamp

I normally run 20 lands in any given deck. The basic lands are there to bring the land total up to 20. There are more islands simply because the dominant color in this deck is blue.

Creatures (6):
This deck is a very creature-light deck. The main-deck only runs a total of six, simply because there are more constructive uses of the deck space than just having a blocker.

4 Jushi Apprentice (1U)

The apprentices help you draw the cards that you need. Comes out turn two, and you can use it on turn three if your opponent basically doesn’t do anything. Add on top of that it is a wizard makes it greater when you have the next card listed too.

2 Azami, Lady of Scrolls (2UUU)

This allows you to use the apprentices with no mana cost. It basically allows for more mana to be used on spells instead of drawing the cards.

Sorceries (Cool:

4 Sleight of Hand (U)

This card is just a personal favorite, and it has a lot of uses. There aren’t many first turn moves in this deck, so having this allows you to do something first turn and also rig the deck to be in your favor. Other than that, its essentially card drawing, allowing for you to get to the rest the deck.

4 Glimpse the Unthinkable (UB)

This card screamed “abuse me” when I first saw it. This card is essentially the win-condition of this deck. It hastens the process of decking your opponent. If you can resolve all four, you basically win the game. (That is, assuming they play a 60 card deck)

Artifacts (2):

2 Pithing Needles (1)

This card is basically the solution to Jitte or any other problematic card that has an activated ability. This deck runs two main deck because there aren’t that many cards that have an activated ability that is truly worrisome.

Instants (6):

The true power of this deck lies with the instants. Everything is either counter or creature kill and these instants will help you to take over the game quickly and efficiently.

Black:

4 Last Gasp (1B)

Last Gasp is one of the most efficient creature kill in Type Two. This takes out any early creatures, or can be used repeatedly to take out one big creatures. TI is one of the most versatile cards ever.

4 Hideous Laughter (2BB)

This card is to take out large armies of weenies or to take out the untargetable creatures. This may kill your own creatures, but this deck only runs six so it doesn’t really matter.

Blue:

It is now time for all the counters and other goodies in the trick bag:

4 Mana Leak (1U)

Only counter spell that can counter anything on turn two. Since Wizards will not reprint Counterspell, you make due with Mana Leak. It is still very efficient and can be used to force your opponent to tap out.

4 Boomerang (UU)

Sometimes you don’t have the counterspell in your hand; bounce would work as a temporary solution until you can come up with a permanent solution. Boomerang is the only bounce card that is within Type Two at this point in time.

4 Hinder (1UU)

A counterspell that counters a spell, no ifs, ands or buts. This card can counter anything, and since the spell doesn’t go into the graveyard, your opponent can’t recur the spell/

4 Rewind (2UU)

Another counterspell that counters a spell with no drawbacks. The untapping of lands is an added bonus for playing such an expensive counter spell.

Strategy:

Essentially like the title said, Sit and Wait. Except for the first turn, almost all other spells can be played during your opponent’s turn.

First turn is either Pithing Needle or Sleight of Hand. Not much else to do.
Second turn has two options: Drop land, let opponent go or Play out Jushi Apprentice.

Third turn: Drop land, let opponent go

Fourth turn: Now is a good time to play out Glimpse the Unthinkable. You should have proper coutnerspell backup by now.

Subsequent turns after: Sit and wait, Draw cards, Counter threats or kill them. Not much to this deck.

However, by building a deck like this, figure out what cards are actually threats to your decks. There might come a time where you run out of counters. (high unlikely, but still possible) Card-drawing is a good thing for you, use it as much as possible. I want to emphasize one thing, that this deck is a reactionary deck. All decks have key spells that need to resolve, this deck is to make sure that spell doesn’t resolve.

Sideboard:

The sideboard is a very important aspect to the deck and this deck’s sideboard is no exception. Basically, more counters to deal with certain decks.

2 Pithing Needle (1)

There might be a point in time when having a better chance of Pithing Needle is a good thing. Just two is needed in first game, sideboard in if needed really bad.

4 Muddle the Mixture (UU)

Another counter spell, but it can only hit instants or sorceries. The transmute is very useful for finding Glimpse the Unthinkable.

4 Induce Paranoia (2UU)

Another pure counter. Its extra ability helps to reduce your opponent’s library even further. However, the extra ability might not be worth it on cheaper spells.

1 Meloku the Clouded Mirror (4U)

This card is a crazy powerful card and converts and extra lands into blockers at a moment’s notice.

2 Keiga, the Tide Star (5U)

It’s a dragon spirit legend. Enough said.

2 Kokusho the Evening Star (4BB)

Do I even have to explain this card!!??

There are some cards that I wanted to include into the sideboard but I decided not to. I was entertaining notions of running 4 Cranial Extractions, but that jacks up the price even more. (I don’t have access to that much money.) There are other rares that can be run in this deck but that is up to how much money that you actually have.

The sideboard was created to add more counters to the deck and easier to get the Glimpse the Unthinkable. The other aspect of the sideboard is to make the deck to be beatdown. Sending in a 5/5 with fear and flying is a very cool but expensive thing to do. The dragons are some of the best beatdown cards for a U/B deck. I originally wanted this deck to be a deck that decks the opponent so the beatdown aspect is placed in the sideboard.

This is a powerful deck, treat it well, and it will treat you well.
Final Decklist and other Stats:

2 Azami, Lady of Scrolls
4 Hideous Laughter
4 Rewind
4 Hinder
4 Jushi Apprentice
4 Boomerang
4 Mana Leak
4 Last Gasp
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 Sleight of Hand
2 Pithing Needle
4 Underground River
4 Watery Grave
1 Shizo, Death’s Storehouse
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
1 Minamo, School at Water’s E
1 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
5 Island
3 Swamp
SB: 2 Pithing Needle
SB: 4 Muddle the Mixture
SB: 4 Induce Paranoia
SB: 1 Meloku the Clouded Mirror
SB: 2 Keiga, the Tide Star
SB: 2 Kokusho, the Evening Star

Converted Mana cost:

Main Deck: Sideboard:
(1) 6 cards (1) 2 cards
(2) 20 cards (2) 4 cards
(3) 4 Cards (4) 4 cards
(4) 8 Cards (5) 1 card
(5) 2 Cards (6) 4 cards

Color percentage (spells):

Main deck:
Blue: 55%
Black: 20%
Multi: 10%
Colorless: 5%

Sideboard:
Blue: 73.33%
Black: 13.33%
Colorless: 13.33%
Last edited by General Tsao on Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Cobra
Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:21 am
Could use more thorough matchup analysis, and a copy of the decklist at the beginning (or end) for ease of reading.

Good article overall, well-written and well-explained. Cool
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
inresponse
Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:48 pm
this looks just like an average U/B control list with glimpse the unthinkables added in and a lack of wizards for azami.

why can this deck win through decking? Glimpse and jushi don't seem like enough. I tested a version with jushi, glimpse, and circu, and that still wasn't enough. At my states a guy played a similar deck to yours, and placed 23rd, but he won almost all of his games on the strength of the melokus he included maindeck.

Also, is azami efficient for this deck? There are only six wizards in the list, and two of them can't be in play at the same time. I think Azami has more of a place int he U/B lists with meloku, jushi, and confidant.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:12 pm
I completely agree with inresponse... there's not enough mill, pure and simple. You'll need circu to have a chance at that, and azami is silly.

My main concern, however, was how you are going to survive. You used 40% lands that hurt you, and against rush decks, I'm afraid you'll be left behind. four copies of laughter means you should draw one. However, with watchwolf, jitte, and anthem being so common, I don't think that will suffice.

Last gasp might work, but it looks to me like they can just dump out spells faster than you can deal with them.

Remember when you play things like glimpse the unthinkable, you lose card advantage. You make them closer to death, but you still lose card advantage, and I'm not sure I see anything that will correct that. There's only creature "draw spells", which makes shocks and clasms rock out here.

Finally, consider sins of the past. It's a great way to get glimpse back^^^, and may help your problem of not being able to draw enough mill spells.

I'll not rate until I see what you have to say about this.
General Tsao
Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:06 pm
Azami was put in because it seemed like a good idea at the time. (I normally wouldn't put in an Azami becuase its to fragile and costs too much.) I thought hey other decks have it, why not put it in?

On the note of Sins of the Past, I think it costs too much.

I lost my train of thought so I'll add onto this reply later.
Osion
Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:44 pm
Yep, casting Azami, Hideous Laughter, and two dragons in the sideboard, I think the mana curve goes to high to use only 20 lands.

Meloku should be maindecked, as it is a much better win condition than milling; however, then again there is a clash of interest with Hideous Laughter

Your wizards also die to Laughter. I see where you were going but the plan doesn't quite work so well. Too bad echoing decay/truth aren't in standard anymore.

Perhaps telling time should be used instead of azami?

With Glimpse as the only Mill in the maindeck, are you expecting each game to be going on for ~20 turns? You have no tutors after all.

This doesn't really pass the WWr, Gifts and other deck gauntlets. It doesn't have a clear win condition! Kukosho and friends should be maindeck as well.

A set of Pithing Needles, Watery Graves, Underground Rivers, and Glimpses? Oi, this is a lot of money and work used to mill the opponent to death... I played a casual deck with the blue Kirin and Choice of Damnations. That was cool milling control, but not tournament worthy by any means.
inresponse
Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:16 pm
ah! I didn't see only 20 lands...

I'm more confused now. Is this control? or just straight mill?
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:46 pm
I've seen far better from you, general, and you know as well as I that azami and too few lands make this deck essentially unplayable. It's simply too slow and there's not enough mill.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest