LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:10 pm
I think that Professor Tolkien did an excellent job with the Wraiths- or Nazgul, Ringwraiths, Black Riders, or whatever you want to call them. He gives us just enough info about them to make us genuinely interested in who they, what they are, where they come from, what they do, etc. They are, however, very mysterious. We know very little about the Nazgul. The only knowledge we have about them is that: 1. They were once kings of men (probably Numenoreans); 2. They took Sauron's rings and fell under his power; 3. They search endlessly for the One Ring; 4. They are destroyed when the Ring is destroyed. Other than these four facts, we know practically nothing else about them. We do not know their names (although some experts believe that Gothmog was the name of the second highest Nazgul), we do not know where they came from exactly, when they fell exactly, or what they do in their spare time. Please post comments. Very Happy
I had to put something here.
Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:45 pm
Anonymous Prodigy wrote:
3. They search endlessly for the One Ring;

Not quite. Only when Sauron came back to power did they begin their search for the One Ring. In the (thousands of) years before the latter 3rd age and early 4th age events of the War of the Ring, the Witch-King in particular was rather fond of reeking havok upon the Dunedain lands of Arthedain. The fact that Gothmog was a Nazgul is unlikely as Frodo and Sam, who saw the Witch-king lead his armies from Minas Morgul, only observed one Nazgûl leading the host.
This probably means that Gothmog was not a Nazgul, but it isn't impossible.

We also do know the name of one Nazgul, the "second in command" behind The Witch-King: "Khamûl, also known as the Black Easterling." The latter part means that he may have resided in the lands of Rhun in the far east. I dont know too much else. But I hope thats would be my 2 cents. Wink
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:23 pm
You are right on the part about them searching endlessly for the One Ring. About this "Khamul", however, I know nothing. Could you please give me the name of the book from which you obtained this information? Smile
Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:46 pm
Anonymous Prodigy wrote:
You are right on the part about them searching endlessly for the One Ring. About this "Khamul", however, I know nothing. Could you please give me the name of the book from which you obtained this information? Smile

In Unifinished Tales, I dont remember exactly where, the Nazgul chasing after the hobbits when they cross the Bucklebury Ferry was Khamul. And in the Encyclopedia of Arda, he is referred to as Sauron's Lieutenant, second only to the Witch-King.
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:35 am
Thank you for the information.

I received my info about Gothmog being possibly the second highest Nazgul from a book written by a Mr. Robert Foster. I believe that it is called something like Tolkien's World from A to Z, or something like that. It says that he was either the second highest Nazgul or an extremely powerful Orc, I think. But in the movies they portray him as the one armed leader of Sauron's forces, whereas in the book the Witch-king is the leader.

By the way, please read my article on the LOTR TCG trategy Article Contest page. Its called "Using The Witch-king as Your Main Strength." Very Happy

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion