LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

40%
  [ 2 ]  40%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
60%
  [ 3 ]  60%

Total Votes : 5
Bizzenya
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:55 am
--- description ---
This deck is akin the previous Blue trons decks of last standard but now has the addition of red which is possible with the new guild lands comming out with guild pact.
--- end description ---

This deck wins by stalling out and countering threats. This allows for card drawing and assembling tron. At this point it can either win with a big threat, steal opposing bombs, or simply blaze 20 to the face. Before I go any further here is the deck list.

Lands 24

4x Urza’s Tower
4x Urza’s Mine
4x Urza’s Power Plant

4x Steam Vents (Guild land to be released in Guildpact)
1x Shivan Reef
2x Tendo Ice Bridge
5x Islands

Artifacts

3x Sensei’s Divining Top

Spells

4x Mana Leak
3x Remand
3x Hinder
4x Pyroclasm

4x Telling Time
3x Compulsive Research

4x Confiscates
2x Blaze

Creatures

3x Meloku
3x Keiga

Now that you know the deck, let me explain why each card is in here.
Most of the lands do without saying however the Ice bridges are debatable. I like them because they work well with Meloku, don’t hurt you for using them and also can be used to activate abilities of the cards you have stolen
with confiscate.
Remand is another choice that may get some criticism, but after playing with it for quite some time I have found it to be a great card. Most of the time they tap out and you draw a card. When you have a confiscate it just gets broken when it resolves the next turn and you steal it. Hinder can also work this way. Pyroclasm kills tokens and most smaller threats you don’t want to steal.
Meloku stops aggro in its tracks and Keiga works well against control. Winning usually involves Keiga or a stolen bomb knocking your opponent into blaze range.
Counter spells should be reserved for non-creature spells, for the most part. Jitte seems like it would be a problem but it isn’t too hard to keep creatures off the board or steal the jitte.
This deck is quite versitile and should be a contender. With the addition of Guildpact, the deck should gain some strength. Build it on apprentice, proxy it out and see if you like it. And most of all have fun
The First
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:57 pm
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
Remand is good because it is a cheap spell and if played early game, it will buy you a complete turn which is very important for Blue control as it isn't the fastest deck around to say the least (slows your opponent down). On top, it replaces itself with another card.
Osion
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:17 pm
I would like to first note that this deck is almost a direct copy off of the U/R decklists from multiple other Magic Websites and forums, looking extremely like the one found here: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=25433

The only difference is that you changed aome of the amounts of cards to fit the Izzet Dual and added Sensei's divining top; other from those tweaks, this really is a netdeck.

The 'real version' did reasonably well, with a good number of top eights, but with these tweaks, which was tested in Japanese tourneys, you have to post at least why the changes would work better than the original. Granted, adding 4 of the Izzet dual is a given and expected after Guildpact.

Edit: Why not use that mana with the replicate spells? The 1U: Draw a crad , replicate looks to be a good fit in this deck.

Otherwise tho, your article:

No sideboard
No matchups
less than 350 words

please add more content to your article, otherwise there's just not much to go on other than saying, 'this is a good netdeck, play it'

I'll look forward to your changes, and not vote until then.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:26 pm
Agreed with Osion completely. I may also mention that you have absolutely nothing to do if you get a band hand and fail to assemble tron. Ok, a normal hand and can't assemble tron. Or they blow up a piece of tron. Or they counter the only threat you are likely to draw? It seems like you took the net deck and make it more precariously balanced...

There's no matchup analysis, either Sad
T2_Fr33K
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:28 pm
Completely unoriginal, no matchups, no analysis, no sideboard, and it's completely netdeck. Not cool in my book.
Bizzenya
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:49 pm
I was unaware that this was a popular deck. The deck Osion posted is indeed very similar to the deck I built, but went a slightly differnt route. I'm not a fan of looking up decks on the internet and don't know what is
circulating out there. And after recieving such a cold reception, perhaps it would be best if I don't work any further on the article.
T2_Fr33K
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:47 am
Yea, right. Copy paste job froma netdeck. Not fooling anybody.
Cobra
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:44 am
Hey guys, you are right to be critical of any article you feel offers no new insights, but please keep the discussion civil.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:27 pm
Yeah... I'm in with Conor on this one. Allow me to rephrase.

I am dissapointed that this deck is exactly as another from Osion's link, and I would have liked to have read a matchup analysis, as well as why there aren't playsets of things. Perhaps there were too many bombs, so why were certain cards not put in a playset? I see reasons for the cards, but not how many.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest