LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
42%
  [ 3 ]  42%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

14%
  [ 1 ]  14%

14%
  [ 1 ]  14%

1 (Worst)  
28%
  [ 2 ]  28%

Total Votes : 7
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:26 pm
Yes, I see it now, sorry. I realized my copy of the spoiler I'd been looking at in word was a couple days old, this must be recent. I love it, though! And it will definately be in over magnivore.
inresponse
Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:14 pm
It is an awesoem card. It just seems that a lot of new cards might come out which would be perfect for this deck, so why build it now with access to only half?
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:31 pm
I must reiterate that eight 1 for tap to add mana's and twenty landkills leaves very little spaces for change, unless something like that comes along. Another four spots are taken by pyroclasm to beat weenie decks, and another two to stop flying. With that new card that won't be replaced, I'm sure I can adjust the remaining two based on what comes out without much difficulty.

The last two cards shouldn't really matter. The deck should be about landkill, not generic R/G, and the landkill cards are set. In other words- when they have no land, it doesn't matter how good a creature you play as long as it has a few power- untargetable doesn't mean much if they lack the resources to cast a spell targeting it. If they have no land, it won't matter what creature I do have, or it's abilities.
Osion
Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:00 pm
casting a Pryoclasm, say turn 3, after you hold onto your BOPS and Llanowars like you'd said can leave you very open. Reasons below:

Unless you were scouting decks, you'd have to wait until they played a plains to make sure they were playing Weenie. So if you went first, and did not drop a BOP, then their turn 1 Isamaru turn 2 Skyhunter turn 3 Savanah Lions + something else will have you very pressured. If you clasm that is fine, but then you will have to land kill them with them at 3 lands, in which case they still can play every card in their deck.

sample:

you:
forest (holds BOP)

them:
Plains, Isamaru

You:
Mountain

them:
Plains, beat for 2, Leonin Skyhunter

You:
Forest, Clasm, BOP

Them:
Sacred Foundry, Isamaru, Savanah Lions

You:
Stone Rain on Sacred Foundry

Them:
Beats for 4, Jitte

You:
Clasm? (Lucky if you draw it) otherwise you'd be in a lot of trouble at this point.

Another thing: If they go first and has darkblast and any cheap creature (like Nezumi Cutthroat or Vinelasher Kudzu or Watchwolf or something)
it is a loss for you. losing the creature mana and not able to clasm watchwolf makes you wobbly on casting GG or RR land destruction spells while being beat for 3+ a turn)
inresponse
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:43 pm
8 1 drop accelerators! I thought there were only 4, wow.

2nd turn ld is great, but diluting your deck with that...

It was ok with chrome mox because they just replaced lands, but here the accelerators can't. What do you do when you don't draw one of your six win conditions? You will only get 1 in every ten cards, so of they have distress, edict, stack blockers, or one turn of putrefy mana you pretty much can never kill them. That is a lot of outs for the opponent. Unfortunately you can't include more threats when so many cards are accelerators and ld.

Is 20 too much LD? I have never heard of so much being used. The goal of R/G ld is normally to disrupt your opponent's tempo with ld, which can be helped along by them not drawing/playing enough land. Then, when you have the tempo advantage, drop multiple threats that they can't deal with until a few turns later. If you have, for example, a rumbling slum on turn 3 or 4 after 1 or 2 turns of ld, followed by the 4/3 untargetable guy, they won't be able to deal with both until they are probably dead.

but this build is much different. What is your goal? You can destroy lands until World War 3, but in the meantime they can drop multiple low cost threats for which you have a total of 1 answer. Any deck can do this, they should have opportunities to drop confidant or jushi in blue control, plus jitte to make them serious threats, and that is the control deck in the format. All the other decks have even more cheap threats.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:20 pm
You see, Jason, 9/10 of all WWr decks would play either a foundry or a plains first if they can, because all the best weenies are white. That means, if they go first, I’ll know and now bop/llanowar.

If I go first, I let them have their one mana. I kill a land turn two, three, maybe four and they’ve never had a chance to play anything costing more than one. Then a clasm clears the board and I play one of my beaters.

As for "too much LD"- there has never been a deck like this made (ok, not mainstream). This is a land destruction deck, not a deck with land distruction. The goal isn’t to kill a land or two to disrupt tempo. I’m completely denying you the ability to cast spells.

I have multiple answers for one drops. Pyroclasm, obviously, is best, but carven caryatid is excellent at groun, and arashi for air. I’m hoping they can’t kill a carven caryatid with one mana...

You see the point is the only deck that can stop me while I slay lands is weenie. That’s why eight of the twelve "liquid cards" (anything but LD and one-mana drops) are geared to beat weenie. Remember that without access to playing anthem, they will be hurt, and lack of chars will kill them off with card advantage.

One more point- the drawing win conditions. If they can’t cast spells, I have all the time in the world.
Osion
Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:43 pm
Ah, but all good things must come to pass.

I just read the guildpact spoiler, and I must say the changes just mauled this deck over.

Giant Solifuge is now a 4/1 (from 4/3)

Wreac Havok now costs 2RG (from 1RG)

so now you have to switch back to using Magnivores and have only stone rain as your turn 2/3 landkill.

boo WOTC........ Sad
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:05 pm
Basically, my goal is to win by not letting them play anything. If they can't cast spells, I win. No matter if it takes me ten turns to draw a win condition- if they can't cast, they can't play.

I want to do everything I can to make them completely useless before I play anything big.

As for confidant, nothing could make me happier. They'll kill themselves if I kill enough land, and a llanowar elf can kill it if they attack. This deck is incredible against confidant- they draw lots of three and four cost cards they can never play, and their own creature kills them.

I have enough utility landkill- ones that double as killing other things- that jitte isn't a problem. Especially when pyroclasm wipes their board. Or when I go first and they only ever get one mana...
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:02 pm
Haven't we all had enough hate 1's? I'm pretty sure that was Charles *cough cough* ilvaldi being mad at me Sad.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest