LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

28%
  [ 2 ]  28%

71%
  [ 5 ]  71%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 7
Pipsqueak
Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:53 pm
Joined: 06 Jan 2006 Posts: 331 Location: A northerner down south
--- description ---
A look at five favorite versions of Aragorn, with suggestions for using their many functions and integrating them into your LOTR TCG decks.
--- end description ---

This article will show how to take advantage of the many versions of Aragorn. To select which one fits in what type of deck, and how to put all of that versions functions to use.

I have selected five Aragorns that I think are the best overall for diversity, a real power-point, and a complete strength and aura that they add to a deck.
Starting with:

Version # 1: The cheap or Hobbit deck Aragorn
(4) •Aragorn, Heir to the White City
Strength: 8
Vitality: 4
Signet: Frodo
Ranger
Each time the fellowship moves during the fellowship phase, remove (2).

This version will save you some serious twilight. You’re gonna be moving every fellowship phase which equals (if Aragorn was in your starting fellowship) 16 twilight if you always stop during the regroup phase, and 8 twilight if you move every regroup phase. His signet is Frodo, so if you have Frodo, son of drogo as your ringbearer, Aragorn’s high vitality can help you keep Frodo alive, in addition to saving twilight.
The reason I suggest using this card in a Frodo signet deck is that hobbits are so cheap. Hence, you’re going to be giving the shadow player almost no twilight.
Some might say that it would be better to use him in a high twilight deck, so you won’t be giving as much twilight to your opponent. This is fine, but I think that having him in a cheap deck will add a better overall aura to that deck.

Version # 2: Rainbow culture Aragorn # 1
(5) •Aragorn, Elessar Telcontar
Strength: 9
Signet: Frodo
When you play Aragorn, you may heal another companion. At the start of each fellowship phase, you may exert a companion of one culture to heal a companion of another culture.

This card I recommend using in a rainbow culture deck. The reasons are obvious. This version will really improve your healing ability, but you might end up sacrificing certain companions. If you are going to take advantage of this cards full potential, it will require much skill, and probably a lot of money to buy other cards for your numerous cultures.
In this same category of rainbow deks, I recommend Aragorn, Defender of Free Peoples which is easier to use in a deck of Rohan, Dwarf, And Elf. But your deck would have to have a lot of culture token conditions in order to function properly.
The bottom line is: Rainbow decks are difficult to use, so I do not recommend them for beginners.
Here is Aragorn, Defender of Free Peoples:

Version # 3: Rainbow culture Aragorn # 2
(4) •Aragorn, Defender of Free Peoples
Signet: Theodon
Skirmish: Remove an [elven] token to make minion skirmishing Aragorn strength –3
Skirmish: Remove a [Dwarven] token to heal a dwarf.
Regroup: If Aragorn is mounted, remove a [Rohan] token to wound a minion twice.

Version # 4: The Rohan deck Aragorn
(4) •Aragorn, King in Exile
Signet: Aragorn
Ranger
At the start of each of your turns, you may heal another companion who has the Aragorn signet.

While there are numerous companions that have the Aragorn signet, I am going to suggest using him in a Rohan deck. The reason, is that Eomer, Eowyn, and Theodon all have the Aragorn signet. And since They are usually the main Rohan companions in a deck, I think this version of Aragorn will work well.
However, people might say that he would work better in a Gondor deck, because Denethor, Boromir, and Faramir (also usually your main freeps) each have the Aragorn signet, And Aragorn himself is a Gondor companion. This is true, but also true as far as every Aragorn goes. He is a Gondor companion, so naturally he will work best (no matter what version) in a Gondor deck. I’m simply stating as far as advantages go, generally (but not always) outside of his own race.

Version # 5: The Gandalf/Threat manipulation deck Aragorn
(4) •Aragorn, Driven by need
Strength: 7
Signet: Gandalf
While you cannot spot 4 threats, Aragorn is strength +1 for each threat
Regroup: Exert Aragorn Twice to remove 3 Threats.

I suggest using this Aragorn in a Gandalf/Threat manipulation deck because Gandalf will be able to support Aragorn very well. For instance; I highly recommend having four copies of Intimidate in your deck, so that you can keep Aragorn alive, While he can still do most of the fighting. In reality, Gandalf and Aragorn are both very powerful, so you won’t likely have much of a problem getting a deck that utilizes this ability well.
Have Gandalf, The Grey Wizard in your starting fellowship, and then play Aragorn as soon as possible. Assign Aragorn to the tougher skirmishes, and use your intimidates to keep him alive. Aragorn should be pumped by the threats. However, if there are no threats (and even if there are), I suggest having at least one of Aragorn’s swords in your deck. When there are four threats, exert Aragorn to remove three of them, but he will still be pumped up to eight strength. Finally, I would have three copies of Have Patience my deck, and there will be plenty of opportunities to keep Aragorn alive.
Long live the southern bros. Homage
Cobra
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:48 pm
Good stuff. Since no one has posted a review yet, I'll just suggest that you may be getting only mid-range ratings due to the amount of information you leave out! Cool

A fuller analysis of all the different versions (even if you say that some aren't worth playing) would bump this up a notch.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
ingold55
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Joined: 10 Oct 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: Out on the front line
ok article. kind of reminds me of my Aragorn Overview. Smile
Pipsqueak
Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:15 pm
Joined: 06 Jan 2006 Posts: 331 Location: A northerner down south
Thanks for the constuctive critiscism Wink. I was thinking about analyzing all the versions of Aragorn, but i thought that it would help begining players more if i listed the most handy Aragorns (as opposed to confusing them with every versions at once).
But, anyway, thanks again Wink
Long live the southern bros. Homage

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest