LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions
PorterTroll
Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:10 pm
I was thinking about getting into Magic Cards, but first i need to get a basic idea of what it is. I know you guys are experts, so i figured id ask you. Thank you for your comments and explanations.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:32 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Well, I’m not quite sure I get your question, if you’d like to know some rules, and all, I’ll post it later.
To get a flavor of the game, well, the name is Magic because a match depicts a battle of two wizards, you and your opponent. Your decks are called Libraries, and all the cards in the game (except Lands) represent a spell you can cast. Magic has five colors (shown at the back of any card, which are Blue, Black, Red, Green and White), and each one of them excels in something in the game.
So basically, your goal is to vanquish the opposing Wizard (by depleting his life points, which start at the count of 20), and in order to do this, you use your spells to summon creatures, change the environment the battle is being held, impose penalties and/or making your creatures stronger by means of enchantments and do all sorts of stuff using Sorceries, Instants or Artifacts (more on this later).
However, in order to do this, you need to pay a cost (represented in the upper-right corner of the cards). That’s when Lands come in, and they’re gonna be the subject of my first reply about the game, containing rules.
Each turn, you can play ONE Land card from your hand (there are effects that let you paly more, but the rule is one). Land cards stay on the field, unless a card destroys them. The game IS composed of phases, like LotR, but I’m not quite sure I can translate them to English, so I’ll leave this to my fellows here Very Happy . I think it’s Untap, Upkeep, Draw, Main, Combat, Main (yep, again). I’ll ge to this phases later, too. So basically, you can play ONE Land each turn AT A MAIN PHASE (it doesn’t matter which one, you only get to play one land TOTAL). Those lands are then tapped (you turn them sideways on the table) to depict that you’re activating it’s ability (some abilities do not require tapping to activate, but all Lands, to add mana, do), which may be represented by a Tap symbol. Basic Lands, however, do not have this symbol on them. When you tap a Land, it produces mana. The type of mana is shown on the card, and is the same at a card cost.
So, for instance, if you tap a Snow-covered Swamp during your main phase, you get Black. With it, you could, for instance, pay the cost of Will-o’-the-Wisp, and play him on the field (this all happens during your main phase, ’cause creature spells can only be played in main phases). However, if you tap a card like Quicksand, then it states you get 1. This means a colorless mana. So, you could tap a Snow-Covered Swamp and a Quicksand to pay the cost of a Dark Confidant, and play him on the field.

PS: Colored mana (Black,Red,Green,White,Blue) CAN be used as colorless mana to pay a cost.

So, how is it going so far?
I don't like YOU.
PorterTroll
Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:30 pm
wow, sounds complex, but thank you for your answer, it was very helpful! Very Happy
BrianBoitano
Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:08 pm
Yeah, good job Felipe on covering mana! Very thorough, which might be intimidating to some newcomers, though.
You are in luck, PorterTroll! In addition to us helping you out here, Wizards is running a new column for new players, that just began two weeks ago!
Go here.
We can clear up any questions you have about what they’re saying, so if anything there confuses you just let us know!
Good luck learning MTG!
"Not again" -Hans
Hello kind Sir or Madam, I am a polite sig virus. Please put me into your fine and dandy signature so that I might continue to replicate. Thank you for your time.
PorterTroll
Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:30 pm
thanks for all your help guys! Very Happy
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:58 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
You’re more than welcome! Any addition to the MTG’s Forums is great! Specially such an "online" member as you! Very Happy
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:28 pm
Those phases are very important. Once you have a grasp of good creatures and mana etc., the thing that pushes you along is knowledge of phases. If you play your main phase spells in your first main, you lack the mana to pretend like you have a combat trick when you attack. Since you always want your opponent off balance, you’ll want to make him think you have anything at any given time.

If you have any specific or general questions, feel free to PM me. I’m not a pro by any means, but I account myself a pretty good player. I’ll know about as much as any level one judge, between that and a level two.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions