LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded
Anvar
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:22 pm
Like many of you out there, I love making decks based around cards that no one else seems to give the time of day to, just to see if it can be done. So, can a deck be built around the reject Reflections card the Red Arrow?

What does it do? It allows you to exert a Gondor man to play a Rohan companion in the Assignment phase, and then to exert that Rohan guy to play a possession on him.

My first thought was to use the Rohan companions who have ’comes into play’ effects. Specifically, Erkenbrand (discard a possession), Riders of the Mark (exhaust a minion), Eomer Keeper of Oaths (filters out possessions) and Rohirrim Army (discard a minion!). All of these effects are significantly improved by happening in the Assignment phase, where you can get the effect and assign the companion to a skirmish.

My second thought was to make this some kind of choke/denial deck, where you don’t play companions or posessions in the Fellowship phase and use Eowyn, Daughter of Eomund to play them in the maneuver phase, and the original Gamling to play them as strength pumps. You add all the twilight after the shadow phase and then use Gandalf’s hat to remove all the twilight before moving on. You could even use the Palantir to remove pesky Shadow cards.

Then I thought, you’re using Gandalf, and keeping companions in your hand for extended periods of time. You need Inspiration. So whether you play your companions or not, they are still useful.

That’s where I hit upon two dilemmas. First, who goes in the starting fellowship? Should Isildur be ringbearer? Makes it difficult to use Gandalf’s Hat. Should it be Frodo, with Halbarad for a Gondor companion. But many of the companions need to spot a Rohan companion and I really need to start Eowyn. What to do then about Gandalf? What should the fellowship look like?

My second dilemma is that most of the Rohan companions I want to use are unique. Is there a way to discard my own Rohan companions from play, so I can use Rohirrim army more than once? The only method I could come up with was Saved from the Fire plus Borne Far Away. Any better methods?

It might be a useless deck, but it certainly sounds like fun to me.

All thoughts gratefully appreciated.

ps. I posted this to the Decipher boards but it looks like this is the place to get some quality feedback.

Cheers,
Anvar
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:16 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Cool idea. I love your first plan, especially with Rohirrim Army + The Red Arrow. You’d basically get a 2-companion boost when facing swarm!
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
elf lvr
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:30 pm
Saved+Borne might not be such a bad idea. In a deck like this, you may be lacking skirmish pumps, with all the other cards, so gandalf, lotc and g for grand would be a good addition, IMO.

Isildur needs the ring of rings, especially if he’s the only Gondor companion you’re going to have. Help in Doubt and Need is also essential for this. Throw in brego, to heal Isildur, and Perhaps well stored / weland, smith of the riddermark for more Isildur healing.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:29 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
EL advice is good couldn’t you start halbarad and eowyn?

with H text?

if you used frodo of course

you might need burden removal so maybe glamdring foehammer.

I like exotic decks.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Anvar
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:08 pm
Here are my current thoughts:

Isildur + Ring of Doom
Gandalf LoM
Eowyn, Daughter of Eomund

4x Red Arrow
Gamling, Warrior of Rohan
Rohirrim Army
Riders of the Mark
2x Eomer, Keeper of Oaths
Theoden, Tall and Proud
Erkenbrand

2x Gandalf’s Hat
4x Inspiration
2x Watch and Wait

3x Rider’s Spear
Brego
2x Riders Mounts
Firefoot
Eowyn’s Sword, DB
Rohirrim Helm
3x Riders Bows

Total: 33

At the moment, the plan is to have it as some sort of choke/denial deck, hence the absence of other Gondor companions. This isn’t HiDaN. The idea is to add as little twilight as possible in the Fellowship phase (maybe just Watch and Wait), then play posessions on Eowyn or Gamling, or even with Eomer and the Red Arrow. With the Red Arrow and other people’s game text, you never need to play a companion in the skirmish phase, and Gandalf’s Hat removes all twilight for the double move.

If you can’t, or don’t want to play your companions, keeping them in hand is still useful for Inspiration.

Obviously, corruption is a major issue (Resistance 6 ringbearer) but I couldn’t see a way out of it without dropping Gandalf altogether and going more straightforwardly HiDaN, or else having serious healing for Isildur, which is difficult without adding twilight in the Fellowship phase.

So, what do you think?

Anvar
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:14 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Nice deck. Quick note: Isildur, Bearer of Heirlooms + The ONe Ring, the Ring of Rings makes for a Resistance 8 RB. Cool idea! I also love the way it imitates the LOTR story.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Anvar
Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:55 pm
This is the build I’ve put together. Any thoughts?

Isildur + Ring of Rings
Gandalf, Leader of Men
Eowyn, Daughter of Eomund

Rohirrim Army
Riddermark Soldiers
Eomer KoO x2
Gamling, Warrior of Rohan x2
Erkenbrand
Theoden, TaP
Isildur, Heir of Elendil (for healing purposes and works with Inspiration)

The Red Arrow x3 (clogs the hand with too many)
Eowyn’s Sword, DB
Long Spear x3
Rider’s Bow x3
Rohirrim Mount
Brego
Firefoot, Eomer’s Steed
Heavy Chain

Gandalf’s Hat
Watch and Wait
Inspiration x4
Borne Far Away

TOTAL - 32

Relevant sites:
Trollshaw Forest
West Gate of Moria
Chamber of Mazarbul

The idea is not to play any cards in the Fellowship phase if you can help it. Red Arrow + Keeper of Oaths + the Trollshaw Forest can be really nasty, as can Gandalf’s Hat and Firefoot. Borne Far Away is an experiment to see if I can play the Rohirrim Army more than once.

Brego and the extra copy of Isildur give two options for healing Isildur and allowing you to use the Red Arrow 3 times. Heavy Chain also acts as Swarm protection.

Against corruption, this deck will probably do badly, but otherwise it seems to work quite well and is fun to play.

Anvar
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:04 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Couldn’t you try out Treebeard with Steadfast Champion for Isildur healing/double-move? Saved from the Fire would allow you to have it in hand pretty soon...
I don't like YOU.
Anvar
Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:37 pm
Felipe Musco wrote:
Couldn’t you try out Treebeard with Steadfast Champion for Isildur healing/double-move? Saved from the Fire would allow you to have it in hand pretty soon...

Um, Steadfast Champion is x-listed, and this is an Expanded deck.

Otherwise there are far better things to do with Steadfast Champion than use it in a deck like this.

Anvar

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded