LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
66%
  [ 2 ]  66%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:10 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
--- description ---
See what the new set has to offer, and check out how the Standard metagame is going to fare in this Timeshifted era!
--- end description ---

TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Introduction
2. New set, new abilities
2.1. Flash
2.2. Split Second
2.3. Suspend
3. Time Spiral and the Timeshifted sub-set: cards of choice
4. The former Standard
5. The old Standard VS. The new Standard
6. New Standard decks
7. Conclusion

1. Introduction
This article is probably gonna take a while to read (ok, it IS going to take quite some time to read, it’s the largest article on Cobra Cards’ History), but it’s sure to stir up some heavy argument! I’m gonna talk about Time Spiral and the impact it’s going to have in Standard metagame. The newly-released set, which is very different from pretty much anything we’ve ever seen, not only means the rotation of the whole Kamigawa block (and, with it, some pretty powerful cards, that inspired whole decks), but it also means the end of a defined colour pie, due to the Timeshifted subset it contains.
I’ll go through some of the cards in the set, selected by me either because they’re good, can feature a coll/good combo, or may appear to be better than they really are. Then, I’ll post the most played decks from the former Standard format, and show possible replacements for the cards they’re about to lose, giving them a veredict of life or death after the transition, so this way we’ll be sure to please Timmies, Johnnies and Spikes alike.

2. New set, new abilities
Time Spiral depicts time itself changed into total chaos in the world of Dominaria, so nothing better to put it in-game than to use time-related abilities! I’ll explain them quickly, so that newer players will get the jist of it, and then we can get to the good part!

2.1. Flash
I decided to start with Flash because it’s the easiest to explain, since it’s only an old ability getting a name. Creatures that have Flash can be played from your hand any time you could play an instant, so that means you can actually respond to an action (like declaring attackers) by playing a creature! Creatures with Flash are abundant in the set, and make up for pretty surprising moves, being able to swing a match over completly!

2.2. Split Second
Split Second is meant to depict something that is INCREDIBLY fast, almost light-speed (not light-speed enough to respond to triggered abilities or mana abilities, though). In-game, it means that if a spell with Split Second is played, no other spell or ability may be added to the stack until the Split Second spell resolves, which means that opponents can’t counter them, respond to them, sacrifice the intended target to some ability in response, and so forth. Effects that do NOT use the stack, like flipping over a creature with Morph, can still be used “in response” to a Split Second spell.

2.3. Suspend
Suspend is a double-edged ability. While it usually means you can get a powerful effect out of an underrated mana cost by waiting a little, it also means opponents will have time to prepare for them accordingly. It works like this: you may pay the Suspend cost on a spell with Suspend, and set it aside, removed from the game, with some Time Counters on it (the exact number is shown after the Suspend ability, being different from one card to another), while no player can try to respond and counter this. At the beginning of your upkeep, you remove a Time Counter from it. Then, if you removed the last counter, you IMMEDIATLY play (yes, you HAVE to play) the spell, without paying it’s mana cost (and NOW it CAN be countered normally). By the way, if it’s a creature, it gains haste (yes, you will be playing creatures during your upkeep, but hey, time is all shifted, right?).

3. Time Spiral and the Timeshifted sub-set: cards of choice
Without much further delay, here come my cards of choice! If you want to check out a card’s text, just check out the Time Spiral Spoiler, or the Timeshifted Spoiler.

3.1. Black cards

Call to the Netherworld – Great card, will be a nice addition to Rakdos decks, due to their massive discarding. Why not discard this card for a Drekavac, and get another creature to cast for free?
Curse of the Cabal – This card’s just MEAN. And has very good synergy with Jhoira’s Time Bug and Paradox Haze. How about sacrificing permanents that were only good to cast this spell quicker, while your opponent sacrifices his GOOD ones? And, with all the creature removal black has now, they’ll be sacrificing A LOT of lands, thus wrecking their manabase.
Dark Withering – Well, if Rakdos decks pack Seal of Doom, why not this? You DO discard an awful lot of cards, so why not kill something in the process, for 1 mana?
Deathspore Thallid – Now, the ability on this guy can make Thallids VERY dangerous. Golgari decks will start pouring, with the interaction between this guy and Golgari Germination! Pack in the new Cyclopean Giant for some controlling (sac him, and change their precious dual lands into swamps, AND get a bunch of saprolings in the process!). Pretty neat, if you ask me. Dread Return adds nicely to the theme, too.
Fallen Ideal – The ability to turn any creature into a Nantuko Husk! And, if it gets destroyed, no sweat, just turn another one, as this card will return to your hand, for no cost! Golgari Germination will gain a whole new level of usefulness, specially alongside Doubling Season.
Liege of the Pit – What can I say about this guy? He’s HUGE. Sacrificing a creature is a small cost to pay for him, considering you had to sacrifice much more to get a useful Nantuko Husk, or just to have Phyrexian Soulgorger out. Oh, and he FLIES and TRAMPLES! Hail mono-black aggro!
Lim-Dul the Necromancer – Black control might be coming back, and this guy is just icing on the cake. Great asset, being able to steal those Kird Apes and Watchwolves.
Living End – Living End has fantastic synergy with two cards: Leyline of the Void and Tormod’s Crypt. Why not have a Wrath of God effect in black, while getting some (dredged?) creatures back to fight for you? Great card, if you ask me.
Magus of the Mirror – Being able to drain the life of a dying opponent when YOU were the one dying, well, what a sweet creature to let you do that! Pack some discard, so it’ll stay alive, and you’re good to go. Mindstab and Haunting Hymn are good assets to a deck like this.
Nether Traitor – What could you ask from a creature? It has haste, is nearly unblockable, and keeps coming back! Enchant him with Fallen Ideal (which’ll come back along), and you’ve got a pretty powerfull beater. By the way, did I mention he makes for a great sacrifice for, say, Nantuko Husk? Sacrifice him, another critter, pay the black mana, repeat. This can get Husk to some crazy levels, given the right amount of mana. And, yet again, yay to monoblack!
Plague Sliver – Ok, this one won’t see play in Sliver decks. However, in a non-Sliver deck, this guy’s almost Rumbling Slum, being monocolored, and black, for that matter! Oh, yes, and it DOES wreck Sliver decks as a bonus!
Stronghold Overseer – This guy can win a game alone. He beats heavily, pumps for more damage, or lessens the damage you take. A powerhouse on its own.
Sudden Death – Amazing removal! Can get almost any creature currently seen on Standard’s meta, and can’t be countered, nor can the creature’s owner try to sacrifice it in response to activate some ability. Great!
Sudden Spoiling – Uncounterable. Can you say “Pyroclasm”? Cast it, and Pyroclasm their entire board! One-sided Wrath of God for 5 mana! Picture doing this, achieving hellbent and swinging with Jagged Poppet…

3.2. Blue cards

Ancestral Vision – Might be too slow to play four copies, but blue has some pretty neat Suspend cards, maybe worth splashing Jhoira’s Time Bug. Also, blue DOES have Paradox Haze, so that makes this card pretty interesting.
Cancel – Modern-era Counterspell. Very useful, considering Hinder saw a lot of play.
Deep-Sea Kraken – As I said with Ancestral Vision, blue is pretty fast to play suspended cards, and this guy is really neat. Who knows, it might see play, although most people believe it won’t.
Draining Whelk – Might be cool to have a copy on your sideboard, for those times an opponent plays a huge Disintegrate to your face, or tries to play a Firemane Angel or Blazing Archon, heck, even Adarkar Valkyrie. However, not that great, IMO, since let’s face it: most people will play a hellbent Demonfire.
Fathom Seer – Great tool for early game! Pairs up greatly with Vinelasher Kudzu, now that Meloku’s out of the way.
Looter il-Kor – Great early game acceleration. Not as good as Ninja of the Deep Hours, but in a reanimate deck, might be really cool! Not to mention Madness decks!
Ophidian Eye – This card is gonna bring Silhana Ledgewalker back to the spotlight it should’ve been under! If opponents can’t destroy it, why not getting some cards from it as well? Also, nice interaction with Shadows. Oh, did I mention it’s instant-speed? Or that it can enchant Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind, so that it reads: "Tap: Draw your whole deck and win the game"?
Paradox Haze – Speeds up suspended cards, kills cumulative upkeep ones. Just great.
Sage of Epityr – If you’d use Index, why not use him? At least, it’s a 1/1 body to chump-block. Not my first pick in a draft, though.
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir – Killer. All your creatures have flash (meaning you can tutor any creature with Mystical Teachings), and your opponent can’t counter your spells anymore, or burn your attackers in response to you playing an aura on them or attacking.
Truth or Tale – Ok, it’s not Fact or Fiction. Not even close. But hey, Counterspell nowadays costs three mana, so it might just be the next best thing you’ll be seeing in Standard for now. And at least cards don’t go to your graveyard anymore.
Vesuvan Shapeshifter – Cool card, very low cost for its ability. Great removal, too, if a Legendary Creature starts getting on your nerve. Just copy it, and send both to the graveyard.

3.3. Green cards

Aspect of Mongoose – Sad Kodama of the North Tree rotated out? Well, just turn anyone you want into it! Did they Wrath the board? No problem, Aspect of Mongoose returns to your hand, so you can enchant the next creature you play.
Gemhide Sliver – Want to make a Sliver deck work? Play this guy, as you’ll have some SERIOUS mana fixing! No spell will be a problem for your manabase!
Magus of the Candelabra – Might be good in red/green burn builds, packing Savage Twister and the Urza’s Lands, so you can use him to untap the UrzaTron, generating 4 extra mana. Not that great, though, I think.
Might of Old Krosa – I like it better than Giant Growth, although it DOES take some of the element of surprise away. You could play in on Skarrgan Pit-Skulk for a neat effect, though.
Molder – Not quite better than Naturalize, but maybe worth the shot of having one sideboarded.
Mwonvuli Acid-Moss – Killer card for red/green Vore, kill a land AND gain one in the process! Double speeding!
Spectral Force – What a beast! Great as a sideboard option to kill black mages faster, as well as cool in Simic aggro builds, packing Rimewind Taskmages for stalling the opponent’s offensive. Now, they get to play yet another important role!
Sporesower Thallid – A 4/4 fungus for 4 mana is already good. One with a positive ability, which helps ALL your fungus, is just amazing.
Squall Line – Hurricane at instant speed, for one more mana. Good enough, isn’t it? Now that Arashi’s out…
Stonewood Invocation – If you thought Might of Old Krosa had good synergy with Pit-Skulk, think again. This is KILLER with that creature! Oh, btw, did I mention you could’ve played a Moldervine Cloak on it the previous turn? A 10/10 to the head on turn 4 is a force to be wreckoned with!
Thallid Shell-Dweller – Cool guy. Blocks like crazy, AND gives you some saprolings after a while. I still like Carven Caryatid better, but this guy might just have a deck for him to call his own.
Thelon of Havenwood – Turn all your Fungus into killing machines! What else could you ask? Oh, a great ability! Yes, I forgot about that!
Thelonite Hermit – Who knows, saprolings might be coming back packing a punch! Golgari Germination interaction with Thelon and Thelonite Hermit, alongside the Thallids and Coat of Arms? Wow, not pretty!
Verdant Embrace – Yeah, I forgot, add this too, to that saproling deck of yours. Staying power AND finishing power. 5 mana? I’ll pay gladly!
Wurmcalling – Cool card in a Ghazi-Glare build, since you CAN create 1/1 creatures for quite a while on 5 mana, ensuring you’ll always have some tokens, until you can tap out for a 9/9 Wurm or so.

3.4. Red cards

Barbed Shocker – This dude is red’s way of milling! Yeah, you do help your opponent skim through his deck faster, but just picture this guy with a Fire Whip, and some Wheels of Fate suspended, lurking to mill... Pretty insane, huh?
Bogardan Hellkite – Yes, he DOES cost too much. But hey, it’s 8 mana for 10 damage, 5 divided as you wish and at instant speed! Actually, considering you can play him before the Declare Blockers step and block someone with him, it’s 15 damage for 8 mana...
Empty the Warrens – Expect this card to show up in some builds soon, I mean, two 1/1’s for EACH spell played this turn? Wow! Play, let’s say, 3 goblins, and that’s 8 more you get! Consider adding this and Coat of Arms, Blood Moon and Goblin King as a switchboard for my Boros deck in the end of the article, and just picture the damage!
Fortune Thief – Cool card, but rather hard to build around. Maybe a Fortune Thief + Aspect of Mongoose + Voyager’s Staff lock might be playable, but I doubt it.
Grapeshot – One of the sickest cards on the edition, I’ll show you later, in my new Standard decks.
Greater Gargadon – Another sick card, I paired it with Grapeshot in one of my Standard deck ideas, check it further below.
Ignite Memories – Ditto, check my Boros deck at the end of the article to see why this is sick.
Jaya Ballard, Task Mage – A beast in Rakdos decks, helps you achieve hellbent in no time AND allows for some Madness abusing, WHILE dishing out damage in the process. Great card altogether!
Magus of the Scroll – Great for late game situations, turn that damn Land you just drew into some damage! Also useful early game, as burn decks usually run out of gas pretty quickly.
Mogg War Marshal – Another Goblin coming to join the party! Oh, yes, and he brings some friends with him, too! Cool!
Orcish Cannonade – Red removal, while drawing a card? It’s worth the damage!
Pardic Dragon – Great monster, you can Rite of Flame him out turn 1, pretty cool for LD’ing decks, since opponents won’t be playing that many spells after some turns of land-killing.
Rift Bolt – Whoever said that Lava Spike was the closest to Lightning Bolt that Wizards would ever print, well, read this card and guess again.
Sudden Shock – Uncounterable, unrespondable burn? Take it! Play it! Enjoy it.

3.5. White cards

Angel’s Grace – Holy Day didn’t see that much play, but this thing will! It buys you a turn for drawing Wrath of God if you’re being attacked by creatures, to find Ivory Mask if you’re being burned or to find Disenchant if Battle of Wits is out and ready to win the game for your opponent. It also stops cards like Coalition Victory, and has great synergy with Children of Korlis.
Celestial Crusader – Want to play White Weenie? Then try this guy with Glorious Anthem on the same build. You’ll have beastly creatures out really quick!
Cloudchaser Kestrel – Can be turned into a killing engine with Pentarch Paladin, if you choose white as a target.
Evangelize – Can make for a cool combo with Wrath of God and Voyager’s Staff. Just choose what you want to have, remove it from the game, and Wrath the rest.
Fortify – Great finisher for Zoo, may be better than Giant Growth, or at least worth dividing the number of pumps between them.
Griffin Guide – A replacement for the long-lost Elephant Guide, from Judgement. Giving flying is a neat ability, worth the reduced bonus in comparison to Elephant Guide.
Knight of the Holy Nimbus – This is one annoying creature right here. Perfect for locking your opponent’s board for a while, until you can draw some serious threats.
Magus of the Disk – Amazing card. Nevynrral’s Disk was a killer card, and having its ability show up again on today’s Standard is just evil! I think a lot of combos and locks will appear using this guy.
Opal Guardian – A little color-heavy, but still neat enough, a 3/4 flying with protection from red for 3 mana? I want it!
Plated Pegasus – Now, this card is neat. Play a second one, and Pyroclasm’s out of business. Play a third, and that’s Volcanic Hammer and Rift Bolt. The fourth one makes Char and Psionic Blast laughable! Playing a white/blue control deck, you can just counter/Ghostway to protect them from Wrath-like effects, slap Worship on the table and laugh at your opponent’s face!
Serra Avenger – Cool card, even if you have to wait a few turns for it. White weenie gets a great replacement for Hand of Honor.
Spirit Loop – The ability to gain life as long as you keep playing creatures! Amazing card, very little mana cost, worth at least sideboarding.
Temporal Isolation – Pacifism at instant speed. I like it!

3.6. Golden cards

Dralnu, Lich Lord – This guy makes Dimir milling a possibility, again! Just imagine casting Glimpse the Unthinkable for 10 cards, and casting it again next turn from your graveyard! Add in some transmutables, like Dimir Infiltrator and Brainspoil, and you’ve got yourself a dangerous deck!
Ghostflame Sliver – If you want to play Slivers, this guy makes for a fine sideboard addition, if nothing else, making you able to dodge Protection creatures with ease!
Mishra, Artificer Prodigy – This little fella is a beast in the current meta. Just imagine playing back to back double-signets, Serrated Arrows, Stuffy Doll... Oh, yeah, and he IS a 4/4.
Saffi Eriksdotter – A 2/2 for 2 is not that bad, but one that can save a Watchwolf, Scab-Clan Mauler or Loxodon Hierarch from its demise? Good one! They Char your Elephant, take two to the core, and you’re still left with a 4/4, only losing a 2/2.
Stonebrow, Krosan Hero – What a beast! Curves out right after Burning-Tree Shaman, and is a solid beater, that also helps your Scab-Clan Maulers! This guy is going to see play in Gruul Beats FOR SURE! And, who knows, people might want to finally start using a Gruul War Plow or 2 in their deck.s…

3.7. Artifact cards

Candles of Leng – Ok, this helps Flashback decks using Dralnu, Lich Lord, so you don’t lose ANY card you reveal. However, even without it, it IS worth taking some risk (specially if you don’t play a lot of player sets) for the acceleration, specially if your deck lacks card-drawing. Also, a bomb in limited, since decks tend to be mostly one-ofs, and Lands don’t usually hit the graveyard.
Chromatic Star – Great card, mana fixing for any color is again available. It’s Chromatic Sphere reprinted, so nothing really new to us players, it’s fixing that nets you a card. Great interaction with Academy Ruins.
Clockwork Hydra – If nothing, a big “bomby” creature for control decks, and one that fits in any build, being colorless. Great for pinging Dark Confidants and annoying tools like Birds of Paradise and Llanowar Elves.
Hivestone – This card is going to make Sliver decks swarm the Card Shops! I still don’t know how those will fare, but this card can make for very cool decks, or at least for a beastly mana-fixing with Gemhide Sliver.
Jhoira’s Timebug – This card is one handy son-of-a-submariner! Stalls opponents, speeds you up, and it’s not color-wise, he’s coming down turn two. Period. Great for the blue mages, speeding up Ancestral Vision and slowing opposing Lotus Blooms enough for you to counter them.
Lotus Bloom – Well, what can I say? Infernal Tutor can make for a very killer combo with these, since you’ll have them coming down the same turn. Let’s say you get a second one on turn 2, and suspend both. Once they hit the board, you’ll be able to cast 11-mana spells on turn 5, and that if you don’t consider other types of acceleration, like Elves or Signets! Pretty good fixer for late-game splashes, too, just in case you want to add some Tidings to your Boros or White Weenie deck. Academy Ruins and Jhoira’s Time Bug also make for fine sidekicks!
Phyrexian Totem – Ok, his mana ability is not that great. However, being able to make him a 5/5 trample for 3 mana only when YOU want to (meaning, it’s less likely they’ll be able to kill some permanents by blocking him) is great! Not to mention, black DOES have a lot of creature-hate to clear a path, you know...
Stuffy Doll – Aside from making players think twice before attacking you, can you imagine equipping Pariah’s Shield on this thing?!? Anyone ordered “I’m immortal”? Oh, yes, and you CAN pack some counterspells, some card-drawing and Academy Ruins, you know, “just in case”. See my deck at the end of the article for more on this.
Weatherseed Totem – Not the best thing green has to offer at that cost, but hey, it DOES keep coming back if it gets killed! Also, it dodges Wrath of God, and just soaks up removal from opponents, while your other creatures get through for the beating.

3.8. Land cards

Academy Ruins – Probably the best land on the set. Makes up for some pretty cool board-locking combos, and always having a Chromatic Star read to use is cool.
Kher Keep – Another great Land. Aside from keeping you alive by generating fresh new chump-blockers when you need’em, after you estabilish control, you can go for either a Fortify (in a Boros build), or a Coat of Arms, for the win.
Terramorphic Expanse – It’s not that flashy, but fixes a manabase too. I expect it to show up quite often as a budget option for people who don’t have Duals.

3.9. Timeshifted cards

Akroma, Angel of Wrath – A card that wins you the game alone. What else could you ask? Great for Solar Flare players, as well as Reanimators. Oh, yes, and you can cast an Akroma by turn five with a single Lotus Bloom...
Avoid Fate – What? It’s a GREEN COUNTERSPELL! Did you splash blue for the Mana Leaks to protect your beaters? Cut’em out. This is cheaper, and it’s a hard counter.
Browbeat – 3 for 5 to the head is great, even at sorcery speed. However, you can also get some card advantage, if your opponent is running rather low on life! Great card, it’ll see play in Gruul Beats almost for sure, at least.
Celestial Dawn – This is a BEASTLY card for Sliver decks. What’s better than simply not having to worry about the manabase anymore? Just count the lands, tap them, and choose which Sliver comes down, depending on the situation!
Darkness – Another messing around with the colour pie. Now milling decks stand a chance, since opponents will swing for the win, never expecting you to pull off this trick.
Disenchant – Naturalize for white decks. Simple, but useful. Sideboard option, almost for sure.
Disintegrate – And red gets yet another X spell! Demonfire is still better, but hey, the more the merrier! And you can always use Disintegrate to get rid of annoying creatures, saving Demonfire for when it’s uncounterable], for the win.
Enduring Renewal – The most broken card of the set, for sure. Even more than Psionic Blast. Just read its text, and check out Ornithopter. If you still didn’t get it, read my decklist at the end of this article, and you’ll see what I’m talking about.
Feldon’s Cane – You’ll never run out of gas! Replenish your deck when it gets low! I’m sure at least one copy of this will pop up in control decks, which tend to drag the match for a longer period.
Gemstone Mine – Well, since City of Brass is not around... This card is almost certain to fit into most 3-colored builds with rather fragile manabases, like Solar Flare. However, since it’ll most likely replace Basic Lands, Ghost Quarters might start having some good usefulness in Standard, almost worth having on any sideboard!
Psionic Blast – Ultimate colour pie messing! Blue burn? If I had to bet all my chips in a Timeshifted card we’ll see at the next PTQ T8, I’d bet on this one. Char sees A LOT of play, and seriously, blue is found in a far greater number of decks. Why splash? Why counter that Burning-Tree Shaman? Save it for the Slum! Burn him out!
Resurrection – Reanimate for white? Well, it sure is nice to reanimate Blazing Archon or Akroma on turn 4, so, why not?
Sacred Mesa – Another game-winner. White weenie will love having this again, as well as pairing it up with Coat of Arms. Throw in Plated Pegasus, and maybe even some Storm Herd, and you’ve got yourself a serious flying swarm!
Serrated Arrows – Control tool agains aggro decks that fits in ANY build? Good. Control tool that can be used again indefinitly with Academy Ruins? Deck!
Teferi’s Moat – Well, considering Blazing Archon saw some play, why not this? Azorius control is going to be one annoying deck, I tell you. Just add this up with Grand Arbiter Augustin IV and the Timeshifted Stormscape Familiar.
Tormod’s Crypt – The bane of reanimators! Also, wrecks Vore pretty bad. If this starts hitting the boards, THEN Magnivore is going to be a dead deck FOR SURE.
Last edited by Felipe Musco on Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:48 pm; edited 2 times in totalI don't like YOU.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:11 pm

4. The former Standard
I picked the best-rated Standard decks from one of the last weeks before Time Spiral becomes tournament-legal, taken directly from Magic Online, so I’ll lay the decklists here, showing what’s out with the rotation of the Kamigawa block, possible replacements it may have for those cards and my final veredict for it after the transition. Also, I’ll only discuss replacement for a given card once, so if you’re looking for discussion about a particular card, try using the Search Tool (ctrl + F) and searching for the card’s name, as the discussion about replacing it will most likely be right after the first deck it appears.
You can check how a deck plays by clicking on the Deck’s name and reading the explanation found there. You can also find complementary information on some of them (as well as the cost to build them here on Cobra Cards) in my last month’s article.

4.1. Solar Flare

MAIN DECK:

23 Lands:
3 Plains
2 Swamp
1 Island
2 Orzhov Basilica
2 Azorius Chancery
3 Godless Shrine
2 Watery Grave
1 Underground River
2 Caves of Koilos
1 Minamo, School at Water’s Edge
1 Shizo, Death’s Storehouse
1 Eiganjo Castle
1 Miren, the Moaning Well
1 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea

8 Creatures:
3 Angel of Despair
2 Adarkar Valkyrie
2 Kokusho, the Evening Star
1 Meloku the Clouded Mirror

15 Sorceries:
4 Compulsive Research
2 Sift
3 Zombify
2 Persecute
4 Wrath of God

8 Instants:
4 Remand
3 Mortify
1 Clutch of the Undercity

6 Artifacts:
4 Azorius Signet
2 Dimir Signet

SIDEBOARD:

4 Creatures:
4 Descendant of Kiyomaro

3 Sorceries:
2 Cranial Extraction
1 Persecute

4 Instants:
4 Condemn

1 Enchantment:
1 Ivory Mask

3 Artifacts:
3 Jester’s Scepter

4.1.1. What’s out
13 Cards:
1 Eiganjo Castle
1 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
2 Kokusho, the Evening Star
2 Cranial Extraction
4 Descendant of Kiyomaro

4.1.2. Possible replacements
Ok, the Legendary Lands from the Kamigawa Block can’t really be replaced, but most decks CAN walk around them, surviving without’em. Mikokoro, Center of the Sea, however, CAN be replaced by a more Snow-heavy manabase, and by using Scrying Sheets. Also, this move won’t help opponents out too, so it could work even better. However, in THIS build, filled with shocklands and painlands, there’s no replacement for it.
Descendant of Kiyomaro can be replaced, depending on the build, by Sunhome Enforcer, or by Spirit Loop (this cycle of auras is NEAT, even worth considering!), although the latter is not exactly a suitable replacement, since you’d need another creature to enchant.
Kokusho, the Evening Star can have its effect replaced by Soul Spike, ok (but not even close to being as good), but in terms of power, only Stronghold Overseer can keep up with him. Maybe Liege of the Pit. However, triple black might be hard to cope with (and quadruple is just plain impossible) in this build here.
Cranial Extraction cannot be replaced. The next best thing would be a discard deck paired with Moratorium Stone, and let’s face it, it’s not even close, since it won’t clear a deck…

4.1.3. Final veredict
The most important key cards are still there, and aggro has lost some serious power, so even though Solar Flare has lost some pretty powerful tools, I think it may still cut it in the new format, at least as a base for another build, more tweaked around.

4.2. Satanic Sligh

MAIN DECK:

22 Lands:
4 Blood Crypt
4 Snow-covered Swamp
4 Sulfurous Springs
10 Snow-covered Mountain

10 Creatures:
4 Dark Confidant
4 Frostling
2 Rakdos Guildmage

8 Sorceries:
4 Cruel Edict
4 Volcanic Hammer

12 Instants:
4 Char
4 Hit / Run
2 Shock
2 Yamabushi’s Flame

8 Enchantments:
4 Genju of the Spires
4 Seal of Fire

SIDEBOARD:

12 Creatures:
4 Giant Solifuge
4 Martyr of Ashes
4 Stalking Yeti

1 Instant:
1 Yamabushi’s Flame

2 Artifacts:
2 Pithing Needle

4.2.1. What’s out
13 Cards:
4 Frostling
4 Genju of the Spires
3 Yamabushi’s Flame
2 Pithing Needle

4.2.2. Possible replacements
Frostling can be replaced by a handful of Goblins, untill Mogg Fanatic is back in 10th Edition, so he’s not really a great loss. Even a couple more Shocks could replace them, as could the Timeshifted Fire Whip (which is even better, IMO).
Genju of the Spires is just SO aggresive and evasive, that it’s impossible to replace it with anything even close! Pardic Dragon could try to fill its spot, but I’m not sure it’d be able to.
Yamabushi’s Flame’s got a BETTER replacement, I think, in the form of Disintegrate! Ok, it’s at sorcery speed. However, it gives you the opportunity to decide the damage dealt, as well as going to the head, so I don’t think I’ll miss it that much!
As for Pithing Needle, well, Meddling Mage didn’t make a comeback, now did it? So, unfortunately, there’s nothing even close to this thing. Trickbind? Don’t think so!

4.2.3. Final veredict
Well, Genju is a pretty terrible loss, but Pardic Dragon or Browbeat (so you speed up your deck or kill’em faster) can try to make it last. I think Satanic Sligh will stick around in the new environment, at least for now, unless more powerful builds emerge.

4.3. Dutch Simic Aggro

MAIN DECK:

20 Lands:
6 Forest
3 Island
4 Yavimaya Coast
4 Breeding Pool
1 Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds

27 Creatures:
4 Ohran Viper
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Plaxmanta
4 Ninja of the Deep Hours
4 Trygon Predator
3 Meloku the Clouded Mirror

9 Instants:
4 Mana Leak
2 Remand
2 Spell Snare
1 Repeal

4 Artifacts:
4 Umezawa’s Jitte

SIDEBOARD:

6 Creatures:
2 Arashi, the Sky Asunder
2 Iwamori of the Open Fist
2 Higure, the Still Wind

3 Instants:
3 Hinder

4 Enchantments:
4 Threads of Disloyalty

2 Artifacts:
2 Pithing Needle

4.3.1. What’s out
29 Cards:
4 Umezawa’s Jitte
4 Threads of Disloyalty
3 Hinder
2 Arashi, the Sky Asunder
2 Pithing Needle
2 Higure, the Still Wind

4.3.2. Possible replacements
As I said before, the Legendary Lands from the Kamigawa Block can’t really be replaced, but are not that terrible of a loss.
I’ll say this once and for all: Umezawa’s Jitte is NOT possible to replace. There’s NOTHING as powerful as it is, how often does a single card (that’s not banned, of course) shift the whole metagame for Standard? Check all these builds. What do they have in common? They ALL either HAVE Jitte, or have some way to deal with it. Enough said.
Ninja of the Deep Hours is great. However, depending on the build (namely, if you use Silhana Ledgewalker or not), Ophidian Eye would be almost cooler, as it’d net you more cards on the long run.
Meloku the Clouded Mirror can only find a suitable replacement on the forms of Kher Keep (and that if you’re also using Kobold Taskmaster, Coat of Arms, Fortify, Kjeldoran War Cry or another combat trick like those) or Sacred Mesa (which, by the way, will make Storm Herd pretty neat, worth thinking about), and neither of those are very good with Vinelasher Kuzdu. Actually, they mean nothing to it.
Threads of Disloyalty can’t find a replacement, either, although now you can simply BURN those key creatures with a Psionic Blast!
Arashi’s not that bad to lose, since it was most used for its channel ability, which you can get from Squall Line at instant speed, or soon with Hurricane, at sorcery speed.
Iwamori of the Open Fist is mainly a fatty you’ve lost, so if you REALLY want that fatty back, and specially if it’s just for the sideboard, Spectral Force is the way to go. However, you could consider exchanging a fatty for some staying power, in the form of Verdant Embrace.
Higure, the Still Wind, is not exactly that much of a loss by himself, now is it? If you REALLY miss the “search” ability, then play a Rebel deck!

4.3.3. Final veredict
The deck’s lost its main focus, due to the loss of Meloku. It’ll either need a new fatty, or some shift in strategy. Maybe a Sea’s Claim + Dandan combo to start beating early. Or Moldervine Cloak and Silhana Ledgewalker could also make for a nice twist. As it is, this deck’s just plain dead.

4.4. Black-Blue Winterbalance

MAIN DECK:

24 Lands:
11 Snow-covered Island
5 Snow-covered Swamp
4 Frost Marsh
4 Scrying Sheets

10 Creatures:
4 Dark Confidant
4 Phyrexian Ironfoot
2 Meloku the Clouded Mirror

19 Instants:
4 Hinder
4 Remand
4 Spell Snare
2 Muddle the Mixture
2 Remove Soul
3 Boomerang

2 Enchantments:
2 Counterbalance

5 Artifacts:
3 Sensei’s Divining Top
2 Umezawa’s Jitte

SIDEBOARD:

4 Creatures:
4 Bottle Gnomes

8 Instants:
4 Last Gasp
2 Muddle the Mixture
2 Remove Soul

1 Enchantment:
1 Counterbalance

2 Artifacts:
2 Umezawa’s Jitte

4.4.1. What’s out
13 Cards:
4 Hinder
3 Sensei’s Divining Top
4 Umezawa’s Jitte

4.4.2. Possible replacements
Hinder’s found a BETTER card to replace it, back to back: Cancel! Why stall? Deny the spell altogether!
Sensei’s Divining Top COULD try to find a replacement in Survivor of the Unseen, although the amount of mana it requires seems forbidding. Also, Top was colorless, meaning it could fit in any build, which is hard to, well, top.

4.4.3. Final veredict
There’s no way Survivor of the Unseen can make up for Top with this build, and Meloku rotating out denies it a win condition, so this build is dead unless you can shift its foundations in order to generate more mana for Survivor.

4.5. GhaziGlare

MAIN DECK:

23 Lands:
4 Brushland
1 Eiganjo Castle
4 Forest
2 Plains
3 Selesnya Sanctuary
4 Temple Garden
3 Vitu-Ghazi, the City-Tree

26 Creatures:
1 Arashi, the Sky Asunder
2 Kodama of the North Tree
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Loxodon Hierarch
4 Paladin en-Vec
1 Selesnya Guildmage
4 Watchwolf
3 Wood Elves
2 Yosei, the Morning Star
1 Indrik Stomphowler

5 Instants:
2 Congregation at Dawn
3 Shining Shoal

2 Enchantments:
2 Glare of Subdual

4 Artifacts:
4 Umezawa’s Jitte

SIDEBOARD:

4 Creatures:
3 Iwamori of the Open Fist
1 Selesnya Guildmage

2 Sorceries:
2 Wrath of God

2 Instants:
2 Naturalize

5 Enchantments:
1 Glare of Subdual
2 Worship
2 Freyalise’s Radiance

2 Artifacts:
2 Pithing Needle

4.5.1. What’s out
19 Cards:
1 Arashi, the Sky Asunder
4 Umezawa’s Jitte
3 Shining Shoal
3 Iwamori of the Open Fist
2 Pithing Needle

4.5.2. Possible replacements
Kodama of the North Tree is a beast. Spectral Force tries hard, for sure, but it just doesn’t have what it takes. Of course, if the idea is creating tokens, Wurmcalling could do the trick. You could put 1/1 Wurms into play (What? There’s no rule against that!), until you have enough mana to make a “big” one, but I remind you: it won’t trample. Fists of Ironwood? Well, maybe.
Yosei, the Morning Star is simply not replaceable. Akroma wouldn’t hurt, but Yosei’s just plain better for this build.
Shining Shoal is another card you wouldn’t want to lose... Reverse Damage or Honorable Passage? Yeah, right.

4.5.3. Final veredict
Losing Shoal and Yosei is terrible, but I still think this deck can cut it. Maybe now people will start paying attention to Doubling Season, or even Golgari Germination.

4.6. Counterbalance Ideal

MAIN DECK:

23 Lands:
4 Boreal Shelf
4 Scrying Sheets
7 Snow-covered Plains
7 Snow-Covered Island
1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All

4 Creatures:
4 Court Hussar

8 Sorceries:
4 Wrath of God
4 Enduring Ideal

14 Enchantments:
4 Counterbalance
1 Zur’s Weirding
2 Form of the Dragon
1 Dovescape
2 Confiscate
2 Faith’s Fetters
1 Ivory Mask
1 Meishin, the Mind Cage

11 Artifacts:
4 Azorius Signet
4 Sensei’s Divining Top
3 Coldsteel Heart

SIDEBOARD:

2 Lands:
2 Boseiju, Who Shelters All

4 Creatures:
4 Wall of Shards

9 Instants:
3 Condemn
4 Mana Leak
2 Comandeer

4.6.1. What’s out
12 Cards:
3 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
4 Enduring Ideal
4 Sensei’s Divining Top
1 Meishin, the Mind Cage

4.6.2. Possible replacements
Boseiju’s gone, meaning no more uncounterable spells, but it means it for both players, so get over it. Nothing you can do about it.
Meishin could be replaced by either Blazing Archon or the newly Timeshifted Teferi’s Moat (my personal favorite), although the effect is not that devastating.
Now, Enduring Ideal, what could possibly replace it? Or, for that matter, any of the Epic Spells from Kamigawa? The closest thing to its effect is the text of Zur the Enchanter, and let’s face it, it’s not even nearly as useful.

4.6.3. Final veredict
What can I say? Unfortunatly, this deck’s just plain dead without Enduring Ideal, after all, the whole deck revolved around it.

4.7. Izzetron

MAIN DECK:

23 Lands:
4 Steam Vents
4 Shivan Reef
4 Urza’s Tower
4 Urza’s Mine
4 Urza’s Power Plant
1 Snow-Covered Island

5 Creatures:
4 Keiga, the Tide Star

11 Sorceries:
4 Compulsive Research
2 Tidings
3 Wildfire
2 Demonfire

15 Instants:
4 Mana Leak
4 Remand
4 Electrolyze
3 Repeal

6 Artifacts:
4 Izzet Signet
2 Simic Signet

SIDEBOARD:

1 Creature:

4 Sorceries:
2 Govern the Guildless
2 Pyroclasm

3 Instants:
3 Spell Snare

4 Enchantments:
4 Annex

3 Artifacts:
3 Pithing Needle

4.7.1. What’s out
11 Cards:
4 Keiga, the Tide Star
3 Pithing Needle

4.7.2. Possible replacements
Keiga had some neat ability, aside from being a fatty beater. However, I’m starting to grow fond of Rimefeather Owl every day, and I think it can actually replace it, most of the times, given a large enough snow manabase. On this particular build, however, I’d rather spend all that colorless mana to use Survivor of the Unseen, but then, what would finish a match, right?

4.7.3. Final veredict
So, Psionic Blasts could replace the Keigas, in order to try and burn to the head, and Char could be added, too, but this would deviate the deck from its original purpose, which was to control and burn much later, for the win, so I think this is a dead built, unfortunately.

4.8. Ninja Erayo

MAIN DECK:

18 Lands:
4 Breeding Pool
3 Forest
5 Island
4 Yavimaya Coast

19 Creatures:
4 Ornithopter
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Erayo, Soratami Ascendant/Erayo’s Essence
3 Higure, the Still Wind

4 Sorceries:
4 Sleight of Hand

15 Instants:
4 Mana Leak
4 Remand
4 Repeal
3 Disrupting Shoal

4 Artifacts:
4 Mishra’s Bauble

SIDEBOARD:

7 Creatures:
2 Llanowar Elves
3 Carven Caryatid

1 Instant:
1 Disrupting Shoal

3 Enchantments:
3 Threads of Disloyalty

4 Artifacts:
4 Umezawa’s Jitte

4.8.1. What’s out
26 Cards:
4 Erayo, Soratami Ascendant/Erayo’s Essence
3 Higure, the Still Wind
4 Disrupting Shoal
3 Threads of Disloyalty
4 Umezawa’s Jitte

4.8.2. Possible replacements
Disrupting Shoal could become Comandeer, yes, but what a lack in usefulness, huh? Now, how the hell do you replace Erayo? Nullstone Gargoyle? Sorry, but Erayo’s just gonna leave a big, open hole in our decks and hearts...

4.8.3. Final veredict
Considering the deck’s named after Erayo and he’s out, you should’ve figured out by now that this build is a goner in the new Standard.

4.9. Zoo

MAIN DECK:

20 Lands:
4 Battlefield Forge
2 Brushland
2 Karplusan Forest
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple Garden
4 Stomping Ground

22 Creatures:
4 Kird Ape
4 Savannah Lions
4 Isamaru, Hound of Konda
4 Scab-Clan Mauler
4 Watchwolf
2 Tin Street Hooligan

3 Sorceries:
3 Volcanic Hammer

11 Instants:
4 Char
4 Lightning Helix
3 Giant Growth

4 Enchantments:
4 Seal of Fire

SIDEBOARD:

7 Creatures:
1 Tin Street Hooligan
2 Kami of Ancient Law
4 Paladin en-Vec

2 Instants:
2 Bathe in Light

3 Enchantments:
3 Pacifism

3 Artifacts:
3 Umezawa’s Jitte

4.9.1. What’s out
9 Cards:
2 Kami of Ancient Law
3 Umezawa’s Jitte

4.9.2. Possible replacements
Kami of Ancient Law is Ronom Unicorn, fair and square, no sweat. Now, what could replace Isamaru? The deck’s almost Standard-legal, so what could be neat enough to use? I think that if Giant Growth were to become Moldervine Cloak, the build could be neater, and Isamaru could be replaced for either Silhana Ledgewalker or Skarrgan Pit-Skulk. I think the Pit-Skulk could replace it, even though it would mean a loss in raw power.

4.9.3. Final veredict
I think this deck’s not only alive, but that it’ll give control players quite a headache, ensuring every deck will want to pack at least some form of creature removal. Massive, if possible.

4.10. Structure & Force

MAIN DECK:

24 Lands:
4 Underground River
3 Hallowed Fountain
3 Godless Shrine
2 Watery Grave
1 Adarkar Wastes
1 Tendo Ice Bridge
7 Island

11 Creatures:
4 Court Hussar
4 Dark Confidant

18 Instants:
2 Remove Soul
3 Spell Snare
3 Condemn
2 Muddle the Mixture
4 Remand
4 Hinder

2 Enchantments:
2 Counterbalance

5 Artifacts:
2 Umezawa’s Jitte
3 Sensei’s Divining Top

SIDEBOARD:

7 Creatures:
3 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
1 Grand Arbiter Augustin IV

5 Instants:
4 Last Gasp
1 Muddle the Mixture

3 Enchantments:
1 Threads of Disloyalty
2 Annex

4.10.1. What’s out
20 Cards:
1 Tendo Ice Bridge
2 Umezawa’s Jitte
3 Sensei’s Divining Top
4 Hinder
1 Threads of Disloyalty
1 Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni

4.10.2. Possible replacements
Now, I sincerely believe that, even though it lacks the surprise provided by a ninjutsu and costs more, the effect provided by Debtors’ Knell is a suitable replacement for Ink-Eyes. After all, you DO get to choose from which graveyard you’ll be fetching creatures, right?

4.10.3. Final veredict
Well, this deck’s taken quite a harsh blow, so it’s dead as for now. However, I wouldn’t be surprised to see it revived soon.

4.11. Hand in Hand

MAIN DECK:

23 Lands:
4 Caves of Koilos
1 Eiganjo Castle
4 Godless Shrine
3 Orzhov Basilica
7 Plains
2 Shizo, Death’s Storehouse
2 Swamp

26 Creatures:
4 Dark Confidant
3 Descendant of Kiyomaro
4 Eight-and-a-Half-Tails
3 Ghost Council of Orzhova
4 Hand of Honor
4 Paladin en-Vec

7 Instants:
4 Mortify
3 Shining Shoal

4 Artifacts:
4 Umezawa’s Jitte

SIDEBOARD:

6 Sorceries:
4 Castigate
2 Persecute

6 Instants:
1 Shining Shoal
3 Condemn
2 Last Gasp

3 Enchantments:
3 Phyrexian Arena

4.11.1. What’s out
25 Cards:
1 Eiganjo Castle
3 Descendant of Kiyomaro
4 Eight-and-a-Half-Tails
4 Hand of Honor
4 Shining Shoal
4 Umezawa’s Jitte

4.11.2. Possible replacements
Eight-and-a-half-Tails cannot be replaced. Maybe a Bathe In Light could do the trick, but it’s not that powerful.
White Shield Crusader could replace Hand of Honor, I believe, and to a good enough extent, being even better sometimes. Serra Avenger might just do the trick, too.

4.11.3. Final veredict
This deck’s taken a severe blow to its foundations, I don’t see it recovering anytime soon. It’s dead alright.

4.12. Snakes

MAIN DECK:

22 Lands:
5 Forest
3 Island
1 Novijen, Heart of Progress
4 Breeding Pool
4 Yavimaya Coast
4 Simic Growth Chamber

20 Creatures:
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
4 Sakura-Tribe Scout
4 Coiling Oracle
3 Patagia Viper
3 Ohran Viper
2 Seshiro the Anointed

4 Sorceries:
4 Sosuke’s Summons

8 Instants:
3 Mana Leak
3 Remand
2 Chord of Calling

6 Artifacts:
3 Coat of Arms
3 Umezawa’s Jitte

SIDEBOARD:

2 Lands:
2 Ghost Quarter

4 Creatures:
4 Giant Solifuge

3 Instants:
3 Spell Snare

3 Enchantments:
3 Threads of Disloyalty

3 Artifacts:
3 Pithing Needle

4.12.1. What’s out
24 Cards:
4 Sakura-Tribe Scout
4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
2 Seshiro the Anointed
4 Sosuke’s Summons
3 Umezawa’s Jitte
3 Pithing Needle
3 Threads of Disloyalty

4.12.2. Possible replacements
Ok, I’ll make a generic statement for this one. This is a tribal deck, and no good snakes have been released in Time Spiral, so there’s nothing much one can do about it.

4.12.3. Final veredict
Seen any nice Snakes at the spoiler? Me neither. Let’s throw that last shovel of dirt on it.

4.13. Battle of Wits

MAIN DECK:

91 Lands:
4 Adarkar Wastes
4 Dimir Aqueduct
4 Godless Shrine
20 Island
3 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
4 Orzhov Basilica
12 Plains
4 Quicksand
16 Swamp
4 Tendo Ice Bridge
4 Underground River
4 Watery Grave
4 Azorius Chancery
4 Hallowed Fountain

16 Creatures:
4 Dimir House Guard
4 Kagemaro, First to Suffer
4 Meloku the Clouded Mirror
4 Court Hussar

47 Sorceries:
4 Brainspoil
4 Castigate
4 Compulsive Research
4 Consult the Necrosages
4 Cranial Extraction
4 Cruel Edict
4 Diabolic Tutor
4 Enduring Ideal
1 Eradicate
4 Final Judgment
1 Nightmare Void
1 Persecute
4 Tidings
4 Wrath of God

53 Instants:
4 Clutch of the Undercity
4 Gifts Ungiven
3 Hideous Laughter
4 Hinder
4 Last Gasp
4 Mana Leak
4 Mortify
4 Remand
3 Rend Flesh
4 Repeal
3 Sickening Shoal
4 Telling Time
4 Condemn
4 Spell Snare

15 Enchantments:
4 Battle of Wits
1 Confiscate
4 Faith’s Fetters
1 Form of the Dragon
1 Ivory Mask
4 Night of Souls’ Betrayal

24 Artifacts:
4 Dimir Signet
4 Fellwar Stone
4 Orzhov Signet
4 Sensei’s Divining Top
4 Azorius Signet
4 Coldsteel Heart

SIDEBOARD:

4 Lands:
4 Boseiju, Who Shelters All

3 Sorceries:
3 Persecute

3 Instants:
2 Muddle the Mixture
1 Sickening Shoal

1 Enchantment:
1 Genju of the Realm

4 Artifacts:
4 Bottle Gnomes

4.13.1. What’s out
59 Cards:
4 Cranial Extraction
4 Enduring Ideal
1 Eradicate
4 Final Judgment
4 Gifts Ungiven
3 Hideous Laughter
4 Hinder
4 Kagemaro, First to Suffer
4 Meloku the Clouded Mirror
3 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
4 Night of Souls’ Betrayal
3 Rend Flesh
4 Sensei’s Divining Top
4 Sickening Shoal
4 Tendo Ice Bridge
4 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
1 Genju of the Realm

4.13.2. Possible replacements
Battle of Wits is not a regular deck. It’s so big, that it packs TON of utility cards to stay alive until the Enchantment is out. So, almost any card can be replaced by something strategic, with the exception of Enduring Renewal, which helped GREATLY to have the combo out faster.

4.13.3. Final veredict
Without Enduring Ideal, I think this one’s taken a finishing blow. However, more controlling elements could be added, and Feldon’s Cane would ensure you’d still have enough cards in your library when the time came, so I think it’ll live on.

4.14. Sea Stompy

MAIN DECK:

22 Lands:
2 Yavimaya Coast
4 Shivan Reef
4 Forest
4 Breeding Pool
4 Steam Vents
4 Stomping Ground

23 Creatures:
3 Ohran Viper
4 Kird Ape
4 Birds of Paradise
2 Llanowar Elves
4 Trygon Predator

8 Instants:
4 Remand
4 Mana Leak

3 Enchantments:
3 Seal of Fire

4 Artifacts:
4 Umezawa’s Jitte

SIDEBOARD:

9 Creatures:
4 Carven Caryatid
4 Rumbling Slum

1 Sorcery:
1 Thoughts of Ruin

3 Enchantments:
2 Threads of Disloyalty
1 Seal of Fire

2 Artifacts:
2 Pithing Needle

4.14.1. What’s out
16 Cards:
4 Umezawa’s Jitte
2 Pithing Needle
2 Threads of Disloyalty
1 Thoughts of Ruin

4.14.2. Possible replacements
Volcanic Awakening or Wildfire could both replace Thoughts of Ruin, Wildfire being the better choice.

4.14.3. Final veredict
Unless Silhana Ledgewalker and Ophidian Eye hop in for the rescue, I don’t see that much of a future in this build.

4.15. Gruul Aggro

MAIN DECK:

22 Lands:
1 Skarrg, the Rage Pits
4 Karplusan Forest
4 Stomping Ground
7 Forest
6 Mountain

22 Creatures:
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Kird Ape
4 Burning-Tree Shaman
4 Silhana Ledgewalker
2 Giant Solifuge
4 Scab-Clan Mauler

4 Sorceries:
4 Volcanic Hammer

4 Instants:
4 Char

4 Enchantments:
4 Moldervine Cloak

4 Artifacts:
4 Umezawa’s Jitte

SIDEBOARD:

5 Creatures:
4 Tin Street Hooligan
1 Giant Solifuge

6 Instants:
4 Gather Courage
2 Naturalize

4 Enchantments:
4 Blood Moon

4.15.1. What’s out
4 Cards:
4 Umezawa’s Jitte

4.15.2. Possible replacements
Well, you could maindeck a Solifuge, or try some Browbeat, which I think’ll be the most prominent card to this build as from now.

4.15.3. Final veredict
I not only see this build as alive and fighting, as one of the most powerful builds on the new meta!

4.16. Dark Boros

MAIN DECK:

21 Lands:
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Blood Crypt
4 Caves of Koilos
1 Eiganjo Castle
4 Godless Shrine
4 Sacred Foundry

19 Creatures:
4 Dark Confidant
4 Hand of Honor
4 Savannah Lions
3 Paladin en-Vec

3 Sorceries:
3 Volcanic Hammer

12 Instants:
4 Char
4 Lightning Helix
2 Hit / Run
2 Flames of the Blood Hand

2 Enchantments:
2 Seal of Fire

3 Artifacts:
3 Umezawa’s Jitte

SIDEBOARD:
No sideboard available for this deck.

4.16.1. What’s out
14 Cards:
1 Eiganjo Castle
4 Hand of Honor
2 Flames of the Blood Hand
3 Umezawa’s Jitte

4.16.2. Possible replacements
Flames of the Blood Hand could be replaced by Orcish Cannonade or Grapeshot, but those wouldn’t be that good. Disintegrate would be the most suitable replacement.

4.16.3. Final veredict
This is a tough one. I’m inclined to say it’s dead, but only time will tell us if I’m right.

4.17. Ghost Dad

MAIN DECK:

23 Lands:
4 Godless Shrine
4 Caves of Koilos
6 Plains
6 Swamp
1 Eiganjo Castle
1 Tomb of Urami

24 Creatures:
4 Tallowisp
4 Dark Confidant
3 Kami of Ancient Law
4 Ghost Council of Orzhova
2 Teysa, Orzhov Scion
3 Plagued Rusalka
4 Thief of Hope

8 Instants:
4 Sickening Shoal
4 Shining Shoal

5 Enchantments:
3 Pillory of the Sleepless
1 Indomitable Will
1 Strands of Undeath

SIDEBOARD:

1 Land:

1 Creature:
1 Kami of Ancient Law

5 Sorceries:
3 Cranial Extraction
2 Persecute

2 Instants:
2 Blessed Breath

2 Enchantments:
1 Pillory of the Sleepless
1 Enfeeblement

4 Artifacts:
2 Umezawa’s Jitte
2 Pithing Needle

4.17.1. What’s out
34 Cards:
1 Eiganjo Castle
1 Tomb of Urami
4 Tallowisp
4 Kami of Ancient Law
4 Thief of Hope
4 Sickening Shoal
4 Shining Shoal
1 Indomitable Will
3 Cranial Extraction
2 Umezawa’s Jitte
2 Pithing Needle
2 Blessed Breath

4.17.2. Possible replacements
Sorry, can’t find any for those cards, they’re all too "unique".

4.17.3. Final veredict
Tallowisp is out, Shoals are out. This deck is out. How do you play a combo-ish deck without its combo?

4.18. Simic Graft Aggro

MAIN DECK:

22 Lands:
6 Forest
2 Island
4 Yavimaya Coast
4 Breeding Pool
3 Simic Growth Chamber

25 Creatures:
4 Llanowar Elves
2 Birds of Paradise
4 Vinelasher Kudzu
4 Cytoplast Root-Kin
4 Plaxcaster Frogling
3 Trygon Predator

8 Instants:
4 Mana Leak
4 Remand

4 Artifacts:
4 Umezawa’s Jitte

SIDEBOARD:

2 Creatures:

2 Sorceries:
2 Mimeofacture

8 Instants:
2 Naturalize
3 Repeal
3 Spell Snare

3 Enchantments:
3 Threads of Disloyalty

4.18.1. What’s out
16 Cards:
4 Umezawa’s Jitte
3 Threads of Disloyalty

4.18.2. Possible replacements
Already covered those.

4.18.3. Final veredict
Meloku being out kills Vinelasher, as does Oboro. Kodama is a beast going away. I don’t see that much future with this archetype, I think it need severe changes to stay alive. Again, I’d like to point out the interaction Skarrgan Pit-Skulk, Silhana Ledgewalker, Moldervine Cloak and Ophidian Eye have, when grouped together... Who knows?

4.19. Boros Deck Wins

MAIN DECK:

21 Lands:
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Battlefield Forge
1 Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep
1 Eiganjo Castle
2 Boros Garrison
8 Plains
1 Mountain

19 Creatures:
3 Eight-and-a-Half-Tails
4 Paladin en-Vec
4 Savannah Lions
4 Hand of Honor

4 Sorceries:
4 Volcanic Hammer

8 Instants:
4 Char
4 Lightning Helix

4 Enchantments:
4 Seal of Fire

4 Artifacts:
4 Umezawa’s Jitte

SIDEBOARD:

6 Creatures:
1 Kami of Ancient Law
2 Ronom Unicorn
3 Giant Solifuge

6 Enchantments:
3 Pacifism
3 Blood Moon

3 Artifacts:
2 Manriki-Gusari
1 Pithing Needle

4.19.1. What’s out
18 Cards:
4 Hand of Honor
1 Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep
1 Eiganjo Castle
4 Umezawa’s Jitte
2 Manriki-Gusari
1 Pithing Needle
1 Kami of Ancient Law

4.19.2. Possible replacements
You don’t have to deal with Jitte anymore, so Manriki-Gusari could come out for better cards. If you like the equipment, then at least try out Loxodon Warhammer of Vulshok Morningstar.

4.19.3. Final veredict
I think this one has some power, specially with the aid of cards like Ressurrection, Mogg War Marshal, Browbeat, Disintegrate, Sacred Mesa, Kher Keep, etc.

4.20. Vore

MAIN DECK:

24 Lands:
7 Island
1 Izzet Boilerworks
5 Mountain
4 Shivan Reef
4 Steam Vents

3 Creatures:
3 Magnivore

25 Sorceries:
4 Compulsive Research
3 Eye of Nowhere
4 Sleight of Hand
2 Tidings
1 Demolish
2 Pyroclasm
4 Stone Rain
2 Sowing Salt
3 Wildfire

8 Instants:
2 Boomerang
3 Mana Leak
3 Remand

SIDEBOARD:

1 Land:

1 Creature:
1 Keiga, the Tide Star

7 Sorceries:
4 Volcanic Hammer
2 Pyroclasm
1 Sowing Salt

6 Instants:
1 Remand
1 Mana Leak
4 Repeal

4.20.1. What’s out
11 Cards:
2 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
3 Sowing Salt
3 Eye of Nowhere
1 Keiga, the Tide Star

4.20.2. Possible replacements
Although you’ll be losing some sorceries, Boomerang DOES replace Eye of Nowhere. Also, Avalanche Riders could replace Sowing Salt, as could Ghost Quarter, Demolish or Cryoclasm.

4.20.3. Final veredict
This one is a big bet, but I think I can make it work on the new environment. Since I happen to play Vore, and I don’t want to build a new deck from scratch, I think it’ll survive. It’ll HAVE to! Although Tormod’s Crypt is a big pain.

5. The old Standard VS. The new Standard
As we can see by all the cards and decks analyzed above, the metagame of the former Standard was filled with sheer power, usually consisting on very powerful cards, under less than fair mana cost (seriously, Umezawa’s Jitte and Pithing Needle were just sooooo broken, as were the Dragons from Champions of Kamigawa). The whole meta was shifted by a single card: Umezawa’s Jitte. Every single deck had to have SOME way to deal with it, or they’d be doomed in about 50% of the matches. Considering they could still lose some matches from the other 50% portion, that’s not a very encouraging perspective.
The new Standard, however, is the land of uncertainty. The Timeshifted subset is going to wreak havoc on the very foundations on which Standard has been standing the last couple years, since the fact that your opponent only has green mana does not mean he can’t counter a spell anymore, or that the blue mage across the table can’t Char you to the head with a Psionic Blast, for instance. Also, there’s a huge load of Flash creatures in Time Spiral, that are eager to pop up out of nowhere, any time, any place.
With the rotation of Jitte, artifact removal will fall out of flavor (some sideboard options might still stick around, but not NEARLY as heavily), so a lot of room will pop up on decks, and my guess is that those spots will be filled mostly with creature removal, so aggro decks might fall out of flavor, in favor of control decks, or some hybrid builds. However, only time (and the PTQ’s and other big tournaments) will tell us what’s gonna be of Standard. However, since time IS a bit “shifted” right now, I’ll rush ahead and show some possible builds on the new scenario about to unfold.

6. New Standard decks
These are very raw builds, mainly for fun, but some of them could be tweaked around and, who knows, show up in a PTQ or a card shop near you any time soon! As usual, the “Cobra Cards’ Cost to Create” of each one of them is included, broken by Main Deck and Sideboard.

6.1. Dimir Milling, 60 cards (Main Deck: U$ 267.80 Sideboard: U$ 175.75)

MAIN DECK:

23 Lands:
4 Underground River
4 Watery Grave
4 Gemstone Mine
1 Academy Ruins
3 Duskmantle, House of Shadow
2 Dreadship Reef
3 Godless Shrine
2 Hallowed Fountain

4 Creatures:
2 Dralnu, Lich Lord
1 Szadek, Lord of Secrets
1 Circu, Dimir Lobotomist

19 Sorceries:
4 Glimpse the Unthinkable
3 Blackmail
2 Persecute
2 Psychic Drain
4 Compulsive Research
2 Tidings
2 Zombify

8 Instants:
4 Remand
4 Mana Leak

2 Enchantments:
2 Debtors’ Knell

4 Artifacts:
4 Dimir Signet

SIDEBOARD:

2 Creatures:
2 Avatar of Woe

4 Sorceries:
4 Wrath of God

7 Instants:
4 Psionic Blast
3 Spell Snare

2 Artifacts:
2 Tormod’s Crypt

This deck is a new form to approach milling. I was inspired by the Solar Flare build, which is why I insisted on using creatures like Szadek and Circu, which are both usually “win more” cards, since you can accelerate into them with the help of signets, of reanimate them by means of the Compulsive Research + Zombify combo. Dralnu is there to make sure you can stall the board, since in a pinch you can get a counterspell back, and if you’re not desperate, you can cast Glimpse the Unthinkable again. Glimpsing an opponent will be enough to stall their play, as they’ll be losing some important cards, and maybe evn missing some land drops. Also, Blackmail and Persecute are here to help you slim down your opponent’s hand. With that many creatures hitting graveyards (or at least some good ones), Debtors’ Knell makes for a nice finishing blow.
Academy ruins is good because, if Dralnu get’s burned, you can sacrifice your signets, and get them back, and the storage lands make for a great finish with Psychic Drain.
As for the sideboard, Spell Snare helps against both control and aggro, since let’s face it, almost every deck has a good 2-drop to be countered, letting you gain back tempo. Same goes for Psionic Blast, since even control decks will usually have some targets to it. Wrath of God is OBVIOUSLY there for the aggro match-up, and that’s the real reason for the white mana in your main deck (what? You thought it was to cast Knell?). Last, a GREAT card against aggro: Avatar of Woe. A lot of creatures will be hitting the bin anyway, so it becomes increasingly good! Tormod’s Crypt is there to counter-play Feldon’s Cane, as well as reanimator players.

6.2. UWG Armageddon, 60 cards (Main Deck: U$ 336.40 Sideboard: U$ 39.00)

MAIN DECK:

23 Lands:
4 Academy Ruins
1 Flagstones of Trokair
4 Adarkar Wastes
4 Hallowed Fountain
2 Breeding Pool
2 Temple Garden
2 Gemstone Mine
1 Yavimaya Coast
1 Brushland
1 Plains
1 Island

7 Creatures:
3 Magus of the Disk
1 Blazing Archon
2 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
1 Jolrael, Empress of Beasts

13 Sorceries:
4 Wrath of God
4 Compulsive Research
2 Tidings
3 Resurrection

12 Instants:
4 Remand
4 Mana Leak
4 Cancel

5 Artifacts:
3 Voyager Staff
2 Feldon’s Cane

SIDEBOARD:

2 Creature:
1 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
1 Magus of the Disk

1 Sorcery:
1 Resurrection

4 Instants:
4 Spell Snare

8 Enchantments:
2 Ivory Mask
4 Faith’s Fetters
2 Teferi’s Moat

This deck is a combo-ish build, which has a lot of different ways to approach a match. Counterspells give it some controlling power, and Wraths and Magus stop aggro beats. Then, the beat gets going: you can either go for a reanimate lock by bringing back a Blazing Archon discarded through Compulsive Research, as well as go for a beating bringing back Akroma.
Or, you can go for the board lock, doing the following: have a Voyager’s Staff out, play Magus of the Disk. When he is untapped you can, in response to a player passing the turn, activate his ability, thus clearing the board, but activate the Staff in response, removing the Magus from the game, so it’ll be back on the table again AFTER it’s cleared. Then, activate Academy Ruins to retrieve your staff back again. Mind you, that you must only have ONE Staff out at a time, as the others WILL be destroyed by the Magus’ ability, unless you want him to dodge some Chars and Psionic Blasts until you can lock. After you’ve stabilished control, you can either use one of the previous strategies, or you can play (or reanimate) Jolrael, for an even cooler effect. Either finish off the match with a bunch of 3/3 lands, or, BETTER, turn YOUR OPPONENT’S lands into creatures, and activate the Magus. Done. Armageddon-like effect, late game, which should be enough to wrap things up.
Feldon’s Cane makes sure you never run out of fuel.
The sideboard is to protect you from early death, by means of Faith’s Fetters (stops their best cards, as well as nets you some life points) and Ivory Mask (saves you from burn, milling OR having to sacrifice Akroma to a Cruel Edict). Teferi’s Moat is another great way to stay alive, since if you name Red agains Gruul Beats, for instance, you’ve stopped almost everything they’ve got, as long as you can protect the Moat with counterspells. Of course, Magus kills it, but if you have to use him, you’re either desperate (which means the Moat is not doing its job accordingly), or you’ve stabilished control, which means you won’t need it anymore. Snare helps containing early aggro (although Serrated Arrows could be used, too, depending on your meta, since it’s great for killing creatures like Dark Confidant, AND can be fetched back with Ruins), and another copy of both Resurrection and Akroma are there if you want to get aggressive.

6.3. Simic Board-Lock, 60 cards (Main Deck: U$ 206.40 Sideboard: U$ 13.40)

MAIN DECK:

22 Lands:
4 Academy Ruins
4 Breeding Pool
4 Yavimaya Coast
5 Forest
5 Island

18 Creatures:
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Stuffy Doll
4 Coiling Oracle
2 Simic Sky Swallower

7 Sorceries:
4 Compulsive Research
3 Tidings

8 Instants:
4 Remand
4 Mana Leak

2 Enchantments:
2 Aspect of Mongoose

3 Artifacts:
3 Pariah’s Shield

SIDEBOARD:

1 Creature:
1 Simic Sky Swallower

8 Instants:
4 Cancel
4 Spell Snare

6 Artifacts:
2 Feldon’s Cane
4 Serrated Arrows

This deck uses a lot of acceleration and abuses card-drawing, so you can get out a Stuffy Doll as soon as possible. Then, you equip it with Pariah’s Shield, and all you have to do is wait for your Simic Sky Swallowers to appear. If Aspect of Mongoose hits the board, it’s pretty much game over. If an opponent CAN kill a Stuffy Doll (by means of a Darkblast or something, before you can play Aspect on it, or by dodging Aspect somehow), Academy Ruins will let you get all the pieces of your combo back (Aspect of Mongoose will be already back in your hand if it’s destroyed), letting you lock the board again, just waiting...
The sideboard packs more counter power should you need any, as well as Serrated Arrows, so you can kill annoying accelerators, or even big creatures like Kird Apes and Watchwolves, and still get them back by means of Academy Ruins. Feldon’s Cane does not let you run out of gas, or be milled. Drift of Phantasms could maybe find a place in this build, but so far, I haven’t got any room for it.

6.4. Boros’ Infinite Rage, 60 cards (Main Deck: U$ 216.00 Sideboard: U$ 46.00)

MAIN DECK:

21 Lands:
1 Flagstones of Trokair
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Gemstone Mine
4 Plains
4 Mountains

16 Creatures:
4 Greater Gargadon
4 Thermopod
4 Ornithopter
4 Wild Cantor

16 Sorceries:
4 Wrath of God
2 Demonfire
4 Browbeat
4 Grapeshot
2 Ignite Memories

4 Enchantments:
4 Enduring Renewal

3 Artifacts:
3 Boros Signet

SIDEBOARD:

3 Sorceries:
3 Resurrection

8 Instants:
4 Disenchant
4 Char

2 Enchantments:
2 Spirit Loop

2 Artifacts:
2 Feldon’s Cane

This is the new combo deck I’ve designed, since Heartbeat is gone. Enduring Renewal, in an environment that has Ornithopter and Wild Cantor, is a card BEGGING to be abused, and this deck does just that. If Enduring Renewal hits the board, that means you can sacrifice Cantor, thus adding a red or green mana, and it’ll be returned to your hand, allowing you yo play it again with the mana you just added. Then, you just keep doing this for a gazillion times, until you cast a Grapeshot (it has Storm, remember?) OR an Ignite Memories. Ornithopter is GREAT with this sacrificing engine as well, but it needs something to let you sacrifice it. That’s why I use Greater Gargadon and Thermopod. Thermopod is a finishing blow on its own, allowing you to generate infinite mana, play all your hand, and then Demonfire for the win. Gargadon, well, just picture this: turn 1, suspend Gargadon. Turn 2, play a Signet. Turn 3, play Enduring Renewal and Ornithopter, sac him as much as you want for Gargadon, play him with haste, start beating for 9 a turn. If an opponent kills it in response, it’ll be returned to your hand, and you can do it all over again, only delaying your assault for a turn. Also, your own creatures are immune to your Wrath of Gods, since they’ll be returned to your hand anyway. Browbeat is there mainly for the card-drawing possibility, although burning for 5 ain’t bad either. However, keep in mind the timing when you play Enduring Renewal, as you’ll have to stick with what you’ve got (new creatures will be discarded), so usually, play it only to win on the same turn, starting a combo out.
The sideboard packs Disenchant for using on YOU, too, if you play against a deck that can deny you your creatures, so Enduring Renewal won’t be an auto-loss. Spirit Loop ALSO gets back after you Wrath the board, so playing it on Gargadon will be enough to make aggro cry, since you’ll be gaining A LOT of life per turn. If this is not enough, don’t worry, Char is there too. In case you face counter-heavy decks, Resurrection can get you that much needed Thermopod back (or any other creature you need at that moment), and Feldon’s Cane let’s you start over again.

7. Conclusion
I hope you all liked this article better than both Breaking Coldsnap and Standard: the format of champions!, since it is meant to be a breed from those two (so it should have gotten better), and I sincerely thank you for sticking around THIS long to read it through! As usual, Feedback is appreciated, and let’s have fun at the discussion that’s SURE to arise from my choices (but let’s keep it civilized, people)! Thank you very much!
I don't like YOU.
c3poquino
Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:58 pm
Hey, new article! Shocked That’s big! I’ll read it little by little, and post some feedback and critics to it, probably sometime at the end of the week... Laughing
r2d2quino
Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:03 pm
Hey, I have been absent for a while, but I’m here. Congratulations for winning both contests last month, I’m sure you deserved. This article is not that long as it seems, since you can break down your read easily, concentrating on decklists that you want to read first, reading the others later (the numerical system is quite good for that, good formatting), the same goes for the Time Spiral picks. I think some of those were a little off at first, I’d add some other cards too. Oh, yes, sweet decks on the end, I’ll try that Stuffy Doll thing for sure, seems like fun. That is, if I can get any. It seems that Cobra doesn’t have it on stock yet...
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:03 pm
Thanks, glad you liked it! So, tell me WHAT cards you think should be added/cut out, and WHY, so we can have some discussion going ’round here! Mr. Green
I don't like YOU.
Cobra
Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:23 pm
Someone bought all our Stuffy Dolls already. I think it was Felipe. Laughing

I probably won’t be in on the discussion this time, but I do think it’s great work and you’ve earned a five from me. I’m sure others will have more to say when they’ve finished reading...
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:29 pm
Thanks, Conor! Who knew, and I’ve just finished writing a quicker read, thinking this one might get left aside... Laughing
Too bad some bubble buster had to come and buy all you Stuffy Dolls and Enduring Renewals, right? (btw, get me a forth if you can, will ya? Wink )
Oh, and any chances Ravnica might see some restocking anytime soon? I have a HUGE order of Remands to make (every single one of them, to be exactly, and I’m serious, if you get 50, I’m ordering 50! Twisted Evil ), not to mention some Moldervine Cloaks and Carven Caryatids! Oh, and Halcyon Glaze, too! Mr. Green
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:29 pm
I think you could have gone on some forum sites and found some better new decks- things like star spangled spanking (R/W/u agro), Neo-husk (B/W husk + Nether Traitor+midgets +bad moon+teysa), or even a new style gruul beats for your standard section- I would have liked to seen some more things that will be rocking around at tournaments near you.

The rest of the article looks really good except some minor issues with the individually selected cards:

Call to the Netherworld- you can’t really pop this back with drekvak unless you’re playing drek beyond turn two or if you managed to get something killed turn one, one of which is bad, the other unlikely. I think it’s a decent card, but not for that reason.

Curse of the Cabal- SLOW!

Deathspore Thallid- SLOW!

Fallen Ideal- missing the combo with fists + bramble

Lim-Dul- SLOW!!

Living End- Slow!!! This can’t be played using standard cards before turn six, using previous turns to accelerate and get out other combo parts. That’s slower than husk even if it isn’t disrupted.

Nether Traitor- Missed the synergy with Husk!

Fathom Seer- AMEN. Also works well against discard, don’t forget that.

Ophidian Eye- What about Niv-Mizzet? The big dragon feels all alone.

Paradox Haze- Do people play cumulative upkeep? Could have fooled me...

Most of this looks good. I woudl have liked if you’d done something like just analyze rares, but I understand that isn’t always very exciting.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:38 pm
Damn it, I forgot to mention Ophidian Eye with Mizzet?!?!? That’s the reason I actually liked the card in the first place, infinite Standard combos! Thanks for pointing that out!
Some of the card choices, as I said, are not really because they are good, but because they are fun, or because they APPEAR to be good and in fact are not, like some you mentioned.
I didn’t use the decks from other Forums, because I wanted the material to be fully original. Also, the decks are meant to show how fun and crazy the new meta can/will be, although my Boros-combo might see some play, if slightly altered, I miss having some card drawing in it! Sad
However, as you speak, I’ve just posted a quick article on a new Standard deck, and a very unusual but powerful one, for that matter! Check it out when you have the time! Very Happy
Yeah, about Nantuko Husk + Nether Traitor, I missed that one up, actually. Rolling Eyes Cool interaction, indeed! Fixed now, about Traitor and the Eye!
I still look forward to seeing some Golgari Husk (powered by Golgari Germination, maybe, with Doubling Season?), now that Promise of Bunrei is out of the way! Mr. Green
And about the Thallid, well, I’m trying to work on a fungus deck, and you’d be surprised on how fast it gets if you build it Golgari-oriented, with acceleration for Doubling Season! Doubling Season means you put double the spore counters, AND you get double the saprolings, believe me, it can get to pretty crazy levels! If I can ever wrap it up to 60 or so cards (so much I want to play, I keep making 80-card decks! Dang! Evil or Very Mad ), I’ll post it on the Deck Clinic! I’m currently using some Mindlash Slivers and Hivestones, not to mention Gemhide Slivers, so I can play Wurmcalling on crazy levels due to the overburst of Saprolings, now that Night of Souls’ Betrayal AND Hideous Laughter are out of the way, I might even try some Coat of Arms soon! (And THAT’S why I can’t get to 60 cards... Wink)
Oh, and about Fathom Seer, man, he’s a BEAST, insn’t he? Can you imagine the damage he’ll do in Extended with Azusa, Lost but Seeking, and some other cards that either flip down morphs or return them to your hand? That’s evil!
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:01 pm
Yeah.. what I meant about the forums is you see things you would have missed. Like my thread on MoTL about the husk deck that mentions all of those Razz

I think golgari husk may be too slow, so I’m looking at Nether Traitor, Teysa, and Sengir autocrat to take it’s place.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest