LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
If you could play only 1 format, what would it be?

Standard  
25%
  [ 3 ]  25%

Expanded  
50%
  [ 6 ]  50%

Open  
8%
  [ 1 ]  8%

FotR Block  
8%
  [ 1 ]  8%

TTT Block  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

RotK Block  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

War Block  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Movie Block  
8%
  [ 1 ]  8%

Sealed/Draft  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Other - please post  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 12
hawkeyespf
Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:45 am
Why is it that everyone seems to prefer any format over Standard? All I ever see updates for are Expanded, or Open, or even a Block format. I never got any feedback for the deck I posted in the Standard section, even though it got more than a few looks.

Most (if not all, I haven’t actually looked at every single one) of the strategy articles are based on Expanded Format.

Why is this? Is everyone so in love with their old cards that they can’t bear to play a game without them? Does noone have any confidence in their own abilities that they must use (abuse is more like it) older cards in order to win games and have fun? The "infinite loops" thread is the perfect evidence of this phenomenon.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:55 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
I like my old cards and I don’t want to keep having to spend money on new cards to make my deck be ’standard" my friends wouldn’t want to do it so I couldn’t play anyone anyway. i will be playing expanded until no one wants to play with me.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
elf lvr
Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:46 am
In my eyes, standard format and the rotation of cards is simply Decipher’s way to keep players buying cards, and so make more money. Obviously, this isn’t working too well.

Simply because I have hardly any access to newer cards (the only Hunters cards I got were in trades), I prefer expanded format. Open is okay when I’m playing with my friends, because none of us has ever tried to make a "Fruit Loops" or similar deck. But with expanded, I actually get to use the cards I have. I couldn’t have any decks whatsoever, really, without cards from TT, and some from FotR as well. I just don’t have enough stuff from later series, and even if I did, no one who I have a chance to play with does either.

So, I like expanded.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:51 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
actually in open the only broken combo we can afford is steadfast champion/ Treebeard KOTW which can be countered fairly easily
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Hazael
Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:00 pm
cus i like southrons Shame on you
Some of the best scenarios on EE...
Up All Night Productions
Glamdring
Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:40 pm
I typically tend to lean more towards the Open format. Wink
Great minds think alike.~CarpeGuitarrem
Rangers will rule the World!! (CC's Official Ranger Lover)
My Haves/Wants Please look!!

...much debate much hard feelings. ~SOP
Merrick_Hale
Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:02 am
Personally, I liked the game best in Fellowship Block. There were lots of different decks you could do that were fun and competitive (until everyone started playing degenerate things such as Uber Choke and Uruk Beatdown with Saruman). I quit buying cards during most of Two Towers block as I didn’t like the card design and only started again when some fresh ideas came out of Return of the King. I wasn’t happy about the minion re-organization, but still found some fun and interesting decks to play during shadows block. The delay in the release of Bloodlines, the disintegration of the local play group and then the uninspired design of Hunters didn’t make me want to buy any of the cards did not make me want to buy any more cards.

So, let’s see I could play with my now non competitive decks using only cards from Shadows block (Mostly Shadows and Black Rider as I didn’t purchase that much Bloodlines) or I could play with the cards that I already have, love and still haven’t explored all the competitive and fun decks with in the Open, Expanded or Block formats.

Pretty easy choice if you ask me. LotR as a competitive game is pretty much dead. I was surprised that more than 20 people showed up at Gencon to play it. I would be surprised if we get that many people next year or two years from now.
Aaron Rhinehart
Rider of Rohan (retired)
DAgent #417 (retired)

This Incognito is a smooth operator - Lem0nhead

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion