LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
menace64
Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:29 pm
I’ve only been playing Magic for a few months now, and this is my first deck to truly call my own. I’ve known how to play for years, so this deck isn’t the typical "noob" deck.

I wanted something to fit my style, which is making things as painful and backbreaking for my opponents as possible. So, naturally, when I was doing preliminary research, I gravitated towards Black and Blue.

To start this deck off, I bought the Snowscape starter from Coldsnap. I kept the spine of that deck intact (snow lands, creatures to spot those snows and use them), but I dismantled the rest and, after several long searches at the local shop, had a deck I was proud to call my own.

Here is my deck, and afterwards I’ll break it down.

Creatures (17):
Chilling Shade x3
Heidar, Rimewind Master x3
Keening Banshee x3
Nekrataal x4
Rimefeather Owl x4

Sorceries (1):
Exhaustion x1

Instants (20):
Dark Banishing x4
Evacuation x4
Last Gasp x4
Rune Snag x4
Sudden Death x4

Lands (22):
Frost Marsh x4
Mouth of Ronom x3
Scrying Sheets x2
Snow-covered Island x6
Snow-covered Swamp x7

Deck Size: 60 Cards

Sideboard:
Blizzard Specter x4
Dimir Signet x2
Drift of the Dead x2
Frost Raptor x4
Locket of Yesterdays x3

Okay.

This deck sets up very slowly. In an ideal opening hand, get 1 of each mana land and 1 or 2 easy counter cards like Rune Snag and Last Gasp. Save the Snags for enchantments and the Gasps for creatures it can take out (and for the bigger ones, use Dark Banishing or Sudden Death).

The basic premise of this deck is to clear the opponent’s side of the table as quickly as possible and for as long as possible, giving you time to draw into a few Rimefeather Owls and hit hard with them (they usually play at 13/13 in this deck). The smaller creatures, Keening Banshee and Nekrataal, are adept at killing creatures, and when combined with Sudden Death or Last Gasp not much can survive.

If you run into a player using cards like Shielding Flax that protect enchanted creatures from spells or abilities (in other words, putting a brick in my deck), play Evacuation, returning all creatures to their owners’ hands. Your own creatures will benefit from this (Nekrataal can kill even more), and the creatures will be stripped of their enchantments. However, if you can Rune Snag the problematic card when it’s played, all the better.

I want to note that Heidar, Rimewind Master was a once-overlooked card in my deck. I had him in there, but didn’t really use him. Once I did, however, I realized just how much of a speed bump he could be to an opponent. Since my deck does take a while to set up, throwing a Heidar out and effectively stopping my opponent has been a great benefit to me.

I only have 1 Exhaustion in the deck because, well, I only have 1. I want to get at least 1 more, because - like Heidar - it has some great stopping power. The longer I can keep my opponent crawling the better my finish will be.

My sideboard is actually just cards I used to run in this deck, but have cycled out to keep the deck as slim as possible. I prefer flying creatures because, obviously, they have a severe advantage over ground-locked creatures.

My deck hasn’t seen a lot of unique action, because the only person I’ve been playing against is my brother. He builds new decks fairly often, but I think I’m about ready to take it to the next level. There’s a big expanded tournament coming up, and - even though my deck is standard type 2 - I think I should give it a shot.
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:37 pm
This seems to be a pretty good deck to start with. A few things, though...

I don’t like evacuation with all the kill spells. If you’re going to concentrate on killing their stuff, yours is coming back to hand, and I know it’s good to recur nekrataal and banshee, but they’re too expensive to recur like that.

The deck’s mana curve seems to be a little bit too high. You’ll probably get rushed in the standard tourney.

I would play more counterspells. On a curve this high, you need more counters than just snag.

Signets are powerful. There’s a reason every top control deck runs them. I would do my absolute best to find room for them.

Mouth of ronom is a keeper only if you add signets. Otherwise, you’re going to have problems with color screw.

Sorry for a semi-bashing there Razz I didn’t mean it like that. Here’s what I found great:

You used nekrataal, a very underused card that I personally like a lot.

Daring to make a snow deck that isn’t mono.

You can remove a ton of threats.

Keep plugging away at this deck. I would try some simulating online or something before taking this to a really serious tourney. FNM would probably be fine, but you’ll need to make sure your deck is perfect before you take it beyond there.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)