LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded
Mythdracon
Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:24 pm
Shadow (35)
Gollum, Stinker x1 (Battle of Helm’s Deep)–gains strength with burdens, can add burden if he wins.
Gollum, Mad Thing x1 (Mount Doom)–add burden or he is strength+3
Gollum, Dark as Darkness x1 (Reflections)--Most flexible Gollum!
Mauhur, Relentless Hunter x1 (Hunters)—Can exert to assign himself to a non-hunter companion. There is great power in this choice, and even more power in the fact that the FP player can’t prevent this.
Shelob, Last Child of Ungoliant x2 (Siege of Gondor) –Enduring and fierce, can put archery wounds on it to make it stronger.
Ulaire Toldea, Winged Sentry x1 (Ents of Fangorn)—for each skirmish won by him, exert a companion or add burden.
Covetous Wisp x4 (Wraith Collection)—Enduring, cheap at 2, you can remove 2 twilight and spot another covetous wisp to add a burden.
Candle Corpses x2 (Wraith Collection)--Spot a covetous wisp or candle corpse and remove 2 twilight to wound a companion it is skirmishing.
The Witch-King, Lord of the Nazgul x2 (Mines of Moria)—can wound RB twice if he wins.
Horror of Harad x2 (Expanded Middle Earth)—fierce, muster, damage +1.
Ulaire Nertea, Servant of the Shadow x2 (Bloodlines)—fierce, low resistance (3 or less) companions mean he costs only 2 twilight.
Crazed Hillman x3 (Black Rider)—7 strength and cheap, and fierce. If it survives the initial skirmish round, it is 14-20 strength in fierce mode vs. companions with 4 resistance or less. Potential to overwhelm.
Ulaire Toldea, Wraith on Wings x1 (ROTK)—With initiative and another Nazgul, this guy is fierce, free and 12 strength!
Morgul Creeper x3 (Siege of Gondor)–archery total +2 if you can spot 3 burdens
Ulaire Nertea, Thrall of the One x2 (Siege of Gondor)—fierce, enduring, lowers site no. of Wraith minions (of which there are quite a few in this set).
The Witch-King, Captain of the Nine Riders x1 (Shadows)—fierce, muster and can be toiled into play.
Bill Ferny, Swarthy Sneering Fellow x1 (Mines of Moria)—good vs alternate RBs. Nazgul not roaming.
Goblin Marksman x2 (FOTR)—7 strength archer, costs 3.
Uruk Plains Runner x2 (TTT)—cheap at 2 cost, fierce, and can gain damage too.
Isengard Worker x1 (Realms)—exert in regroup to make FP wound a companion.
Ulaire Cantea, Duplicitous Assassin x2 (RoS)--Fierce, but also: Each unbound companion has -1 resistance for each card they bear (therefore discourages those annoying followers)--then exert Cantea to exert a companion with 2 or less resistance. Potential to inflict 4 wounds.

Description/Strategy
With enough cheap minions to play, card cycling shouldn’t be too much of a problem. The cheap minions here selected tend to be at around 1-3 in cost, and each have certain abilities that make them suitable for the deck--whether it’s the fierce and damage +1 (Uruk Plains Runner) or the ability to add burdens (Covetous Wisp). Others, like Morgul Creeper and Crazed Hillman, have the potential to be absolutely deadly, and have decent strength to begin with (7-8 ).

As for the strong minions, the Nazgul can wound, exert and add more burdens upon winning. Shelob saps up archery (and gains strength after taking the wounds) and is fierce. Some Nazgul will cost less or nothing at all (Ulaire Nertea and Ulaire Toldea). Ultimately, there will be too many burdens and wounds for the FP player to deal with if the companions aren’t overwhelmed in the first place.

Corruption, too, is always a risk, and the burdens help most of these minions’ special abilities even if corruption doesn’t occur. Power According to His Stature is therefore discouraged, and even if used to prevent the effects of Crazed Hillman, will ultimately help the Shadow in the long run.

Suggestions and advice welcome! Thanks for reading!
Last edited by Mythdracon on Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:55 am; edited 13 times in total
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:29 pm
I count 5 copies of Gollum. Only 4 are allowed. Very Happy
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
Mythdracon
Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:41 pm
Thanks for reminding me. Now we have two Horrors of Harad. Very Happy
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:42 pm
Much better. Smile

Interesting deck!
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
Mythdracon
Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:43 pm
Thanks! Anything I can do to make it better, you think?
NBarden
Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:41 pm
Ambush is not added until the minion is assigned to a skirmish. And its only added if the FP assigns the minion.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
drveni
Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:49 pm
Joined: 01 Jan 2007 Posts: 18 Location: Velika Gorica, Croatia
Bill Ferny, Swarthy Sneering Fellow x2 ... this is open format ’cause only one copy is allowed in expanded

To many cards
Mythdracon
Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:46 pm
Thanks for the input! Now it’s 35 cards, and Horror of Harad is described differently. As far as too many cards go: most of the minions are pretty cheap, so the cycling will go fine. Originally I thought I had too few tough minions, to be honest.

Anything else, strategically speaking?
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:02 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
out of curiosity, how is Cobra going to decide who gets the goods?
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Mythdracon
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:52 pm
Erm...I don’t see what that has to do with my deck, but the voting is going on and you seem to have cast your votes already. XD

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded