LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
40%
  [ 2 ]  40%

60%
  [ 3 ]  60%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 5
Glamdring
Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:34 pm
--- description ---
How do you use Aragorn’s text correctly? In this article I will explain the uses of Aragorn and how to use them in your games.
--- end description ---
Table of Contents:
Hey fellas! Here is the Table of Contents, just use ctrl+F to find what you need. I will also admit this is a very long article, so please take time in reading it...

1.Introduction
2.Explanation of Aragorn
3.Popularity
4.Ups and Downs
5.Prime Strategies with Aragorn
6.The Many Types of Aragorn
6.1.Aragorn, Ranger of the North
6.1.1.How to use him in your games
6.2.Aragorn, King in Exile
6.2.1.How to use him in your games
6.3.Aragorn, Heir to the White City
6.3.1.How to use him in your games
6.4.Aragorn, Heir to Elendil
6.4.1.How to use him in your games
6.5.Aragorn, Wingfoot
6.5.1.How to use him in your games
6.6.aragorn, defender of the free peoples
6.6.1.How to use him in your games
6.7.aragorn, captain of gondor
6.7.1.How to use him in your games
6.8.aragorn, driven by need
6.8.1.How to use him in your games
6.9.aragorn, elessar telecontar
6.9.1.How to use him in your games
6.10.aragorn, guide and protector
6.10.1.How to use him in your games
6.11.aragorn, isildur’s heir
6.11.1.[i]How to use him in your games
6.12.aragorn, strider
6.12.1.How to use him in your games
6.13.aragorn, isildur’s heir
6.13.1.How to use him in your games
6.14.aragorn, swift hunter
6.14.1.How to use him in your games
6.15.aragorn, thorongil
6.15.1.How to use him in your games
7.Conclusion
8.End Credits
8.1.Felipe Musco
8.2.J.R.R. Tolkein
8.3.To Cobra
8.4.To Decipher
8.5.To you

1.Introduction:
What are the Uses of the different version of Aragorn? How do you splash certain versions of Aragorn in your deck? Hey fellas! This strategy section goes step by step to explain the many uses of different Aragorns and how to splash them into your decks. It will also (hopefully!) let you learn something new about Aragorn and how powerful he is when splashed in your deck or decks. I will go through each of the questions and answer the each of them I asked above, and more.

2.Explanation of Aragorn:
Ever since Aragorn was introduced into LOTR cards, everybody used him in basically every deck, especially when the Fellowship Block first came into appearance. Unfortunately, some of the Aragorns are X-listed or R-listed in some of the formats, because he is (or was!) so good! I will go through each of the Aragorns and rate them on how good they are (5* means best) and I will also put by their explanation a note if they are X-listed or R-Listed just in case many of you guys use many formats involving the R-listed or X-listed cards.

3.Popularity
How popular is Aragorn in LOTR? The popularity of Aragorn was and still is very popular, especially Aragorn, Ranger of the North/Aragorn Strider, and (of course!!) Aragorn, Thorongil. Most of the most popular Aragorns are at least $3.00 to $19.00 each, and Strider used to be $4.00 bucks, but went down in price to $0.75! So if most of the popular Aragorns are at least $3.00 and up, how do I get the ones I need? If you fellas are worried about this type of problem, and you are barely scrapping enough money, or you are a money saver, try trading with us CC members. I bet most of the CC members will have what you need or want if they will be willing to trade them!. (By the way if you are in need of Aragorn, Strider, I have him in FOIL and will be willing to trade him if needed.)

4.Ups and Downs
What are the Ups and Downs of Aragorn? The Ups and Downs explain the good and bad of any version of Aragorn, and helps you learn more about his strengths and weaknesses.(hopefully!)

The Ups of Aragorn:
The ups of Aragorn are that he is high strength, there are many different varieties to splash in, and great (usually) at splashing in your decks.
The Downs of Aragorn:
The Downs of Aragorn is that he is 4 twilight, sometimes hard to splash in, and some versions of Aragorn are R-listed or X-Listed. Also, if he is in your starting fellowship, you can only start with him, unless of course you use Aragorn, Strider.

5.Prime Strategies with Aragorn:
What are the Prime Strategies involving Aragorn? Prime strategies with Aragorn all depend on what Aragorn’s text you are using and how you are using it effectively. For instance, you don’t want to stick in Aragorn, Defender of the Free Peoples with a knight deck because it does not give any bonuses. Here are 5 steps to find out how to splash in Aragorn:

1.First of all, try thinking about the main strengths of your deck and try to have most of the cards focusing towards the strengths of your deck.
2.Second, decide if you really need Aragorn to be splashed in your deck and do what you decide.
3.Third, find what cards you will be willing to take out that don’t follow the purpose of your deck or go off on bunnytrails, and replace them with the desired Aragorn or desired cards.
4.Test your deck and play it as many times as you can to see if it works well, if it turns out bad each time you play it, try to find the cause of the problem and fix it.
5.Have Fun!!

6.The Many Types of Aragorn:
Okay, here are the many types of Aragorn, I will go through and give the explanations based on my opinions. I will also rate the versions with 1-5*. Thanks for reading and have fun discovering the many types of Aragorn.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6.1.***Aragorn, Ranger of the North: This particular version of Aragorn, is cool because of his special and unique abilities that help a lot of decks when splashed in and he is also great at swarm, and protecting your ringbearer if needed. A pretty %*#&! good Aragorn if you ask me, but he is about $3.00 USA! Anyway, This type of Aragorn can be used to splash in almost any deck, and pretty powerful against swarm, I think he is pretty useful in some ways, but also a little useless in other ways.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6.1.1.How to use him in your games:
Using aragorn, ranger of the north in your games is pretty easy, all you have to do is look at his strengths. Here are some possibilities:

1.Choke decks: This version of Aragorn is probably the best with choke, since his ability can protect Frodo, or your alternate ringbearer, and acts like two or three companions.
2.With Elves: Since elves can’t make them defender+1, it probably would be good to stick him in just in case you are playing against a wound prevention strategy.
3.Knights: Possibly knights if you are playing against a Moria sneak bomb, or some other bomb or swarm. I personally would not recommend it, since most knights use Isildur, Bearer of Heirlooms, but if you are in need of ringbearer protection, an obvious choice.
4.Hobbits: Hobbits may go well with Aragorn, but when splashing in Aragorn, try using the Prime Strategies with Aragorn to help splash in the needed Aragorn. (Note: Gandalf probably works better with hobbits, but give Aragorn a try!)

6.2.**Aragorn, King in Exile: This particular version of Aragorn rocks! He heals other companions with Aragorn signets, and when combined with armor/flaming brand/athelas/kingsfoil/skirmish canceling hobbits, it can beat almost any beatdown deck! Really fun to play with because you just chunk off the wounds, and cream (most) shadow sides. (Note: This type of Aragorn does not work with shadow’s cards and on up since most of the shadow’s cards have resistance instead of signets. That is why I rated him 2* because of his limited abilities)

6.2.1.How to use him in your games:

1.Hobbits: Like I said earlier, this Aragorn works wonders with hobbits and heals companions with aragorn signets, so any beatdown deck would have a hard time winning against this version.
2.Knights: Great with knights if you have many Aragorn signets in your deck, but Aragorn, Captain of Gondor might work better if you don’t have Aragorn signets.
3.Dwarves: I know this sounds really weird, but it possibly might be of use if you have dwarves with Aragorn signets. Because most dwarves don’t heal very fast or well, this might work.

6.3.****Aragorn, Heir to the White City: Now, it happens to be that this Aragorn was (and is) still popular and used so much in many decks that he was R-listed or X-listed in some formats. He is really good at removing twilight during the Fellowship phase, and choking the opponent out after moving. Aragorn, Heir to the White City is a pretty versatile Aragorn, but is R-listed or X-listed in many formats.

6.3.1.How to use him in your games:

Choke decks: Really good at choke decks since he removes twilight on him, and when combined with
Dwarves: Really good when combined with choking dwarves. Aragorn, Heir to the White City really does hurt people’s shadow sides by choking them spotless.
Elves: Maybe, might work well if used right, but if you are afraid to spend to much twilight in the Fellowship phase, use this fella. He removes valuable twilight the shadow player is going to use.
Rangers: Possibly good, again he removes twilight and is a ranger, so must be a great splash in this type of deck.
6.4.***aragorn, heir of elendil: Pretty useful in many games, and sometimes is better than Aragorn, Ranger of the North, but depends on how you use him. He doesn’t have any cost to make him defender +1 which is so cool for many builds, and helps with swarm a bit. Basically just made to be a companion that is defender +1.

6.4.1.How to use him in your games:
Since this Aragorn’s only game text is that he is defender +1, he can be okay in some games, especially when you want to have an Aragorn in your deck but don’t know which one, this is a match. He is pretty versatile, so there are many uses for him.

Elves: Pretty good with elves, when combined with Aragorn’s Bow, and Knife of the galadrihm. Works pretty well if you need to have Aragorn assigned to two minions to sack him in the place of others.
Dwarves: Possibly compatible with dwarves, if you need a guy to protect your dwarves, or just need him in a Dwarven/Slaked Thirsts wounding deck with Knife of the Galadrihm.
Hobbits: Great when combined with skirmish canceling hobbits, and with Aragorn’s game text, minions might not hang around.
Rohan I know one guy who did this and placed brego on Aragorn, Heir of Elendil and it was a killer! Works super with Rohan.

***aragorn, wingfoot: As you can see, this Aragorn relies on wounding minions during the regroup phase by spotting unbound hobbits. He is so wonderful when combined with the hobbits from Shadows and on up since most of the hobbits are unbound!! He also is great with hobbit wounding (unheeded/shadowplay/gandalf, powerful guide etc..)and double moves quickly. A pretty great version if you ask me, but doesn’t have much universal abilities as the other versions we are going to look at.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------How to use him in your games:
Here are the explanations of how to use him in your games:

Hobbits: Like I said in the wingfoot explanation, this particular version works quite well with hobbits, doubles moves quickly. A pretty good match if you want him splashed in....
Any build with unbound hobbits: Yep, if needed, use this version to win some games. Basically all he is good at is just double moving while spotting hobbits to accomplish this task.

6.6.****Aragorn, Defender of the Free Peoples: Now this is one cool Aragorn! He has a ton of game text and works perfectly with token strategies. He can heal dwarves like mad, double move quickly with Rohan, and win a lot of skirmishes when combined with elves. He is very versatile in token decks and works super well with token Rohan decks. He should be thought of when thinking about splashing him in your decks, but would be pretty worthless if there were no tokens.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------6.6.1.How to use him in your games:
Since this version of Aragorn has to do quite a bit with tokens, and your deck uses a lot of tokens Elves/Rohan/and Dwarves, splash him in if you have room!

Elves: Great with token elves and kills minions. If you can find a way to reinforce Elven tokens, this Aragorn will be a splash!
Dwarves: Super! Since most dwarves can’t heal very fast, and you have dwarven tokens, try splashing him in their. He might be of use if you have problems healing your dwarves!
Rohan: Such a good combination! Double move with Aragorn, Defender of the Free Peoples and reinforce the tokens with the token reinforcing Rohan cards (there are quite a bit of them).

6.7.Aragorn, Captain of Gondor: Great Aragorn. Used in basically everyKnight deck there is. He is super because of the ability to heal companions at the start of the Fellowship, which helps many [gondor] companions, especially Knights and rangers. Really convenient at keeping your [gondor] companions healthy but He also adds a lot of twilight if not carefully observed.

6.7.1.How to use him in your games:
Since this version of Aragorn focuses mainly on healing [gondor]companions at the start of the fellow ship phase, His explanations might be few.

Gondor: All the other cultures would be worthless to splash in Aragorn, Captain of Gondor, so this is the only culture that allows him to work efficiently. Anyway, this version of Aragorn is such a wonderful card to place in Knight decks. Since Knights need healing, this guy is money. In Ringbound Ranger builds, This might be an okay card, but usually they have Aragorn, Strider in their Starting Fellowship.
6.8.***aragorn, driven by need: Really cool when used with aragorn’s bow, ranger’s longbow. He also gets high strength, and removes annoying threats. Perfect when combined with Gondor Wraiths, and other threat adding Fellowship sides. That is basically all this version of Aragorn can do, just removing threats. Now if you want a strong Aragorn and you add some threats, this Aragorn will do since he is usually 10 strength if you can spot 3 threats. He is even stronger with ranger’s sword or anduril, flame of the west.

How to use him in your games:
Since this version of Aragorn has to a lot with threats, I would splash him in your deck if faced against threat adding Shadow sides, or you need threat removal for your Free Peoples side.

Gondor Wraiths: So miraculous with Gondor wraiths. The wraiths add a ton of threats, so because of the need to remove threats, this guy is a key card.
Rangers" Like I mentioned before, when combined with aragorn’s bow, ranger’s longbow, it is a killer by adding threats to wound minions, and then removing threats during the regroup phase to kill all over again. Don’t try this against Sauron Orc grind. The Sauron orcs will use hate to kill the exhausted companions and slaughter your Free Peoples.
Elves: Possibly, if you add threats, and need an Aragorn in there to give your elves a boost, otherwise just use the some of the Elven cards that remove threats.
Knights: Maybe, if you have threat adding cards for instance: knight’s spear/hidden knowledge/ and duty of two. If you have many of the cards in your knight deck and desire for threat removal, here is the key of removing threats. Otherwise, just use aragorn, captain of gondor if you are needing healing which most knight decks do....

6.9.****aragorn, elessar telecontar: The ultimate physician! He heals the exhausted by exerting companion of one culture and healing another. Great at healing the companions you exert a lot, and heals the exhausted that can’t heal. Only problem though, you must have different cultures in your deck for this to work efficiently, otherwise forget about using him. Just so good by healing a companion when you play him, at the start of the fellowship phase you may exert a companion of one culture to heal another companion of a different culture! Best splashed/combined with multi-culture fellowships, or any fellowship side that has at least 2 cultures and needs healing. He has many uses.

Since He is very wonderful at healing, basically any deck that has 2 or more cultures would be nice if you need healing. Great with multi-culture decks.

Elves: If you can’t find a way to heal your elves quick, or efficiently, just throw him in to heal your companions.
Dwarves: Like I said above, if you dwarves need healing, use this version of Aragorn!
Ents: Probably good if you really need healing.
Hobbits: Great with them too...
Multi-Culture decks: Super good!! Stick him in there if needed.

All this boils down to healing companions... Also note that if you have a hobbit deck, and you stick in aragorn, elassar telecontar, you can still heal companions by exerting him to heal the hobbits. Just be careful when he is your only other culture inside your deck.

6.10.****aragorn, guide and protector: Really capable of wounding minions, which help a ton with Rohan/Rangers/and any other wounding decks that have [gondor] skirmish events in them. A lot more universal than many of the Aragorns.

6.10.1. How to use him in your games:
Okay, first off: this version is money to many Ranger decks! He helps wound minions and whatever to kill minions.

Rangers: Like I said above, this version helps a ton with Rangers, (depends on which kind though....) and wounds minions with strong abilities.
Rohan Irresistible with brego on him, and when combined with [rohan] skirmish events, this guy is a killer.
Any type of wounding deck: Let me rephrase that: Any type of wounding deck with [gondor] skirmish events in it. Yeah, if you have any [gondor] skirmish events in your build, stick him in as needed.

6.11.****aragorn, strider: Probably the one of the more popular versions, because of his unique ability to start in your starting fellowship. Great with basically any deck, and because he is a ranger, gives a lot of bonuses to ranger decks, or cards that use rangers to accomplish their task. aragorn, strider, is really a wonderful card, except that he doesn’t have any game text besides ranger and each time the fellowship moves, add 1. Other than that, He is very versatile in many games. Take a look at the How to use him in your games.
6.11.1How to use him in your games:
All right, since this version of Aragorn is pretty versatile, take a look at the following:

Hobbits: Really easy to fit him in your starting fellowship. Plus he acts like a stronger companion than most hobbits(except merry, loyal companion) and he bonuses towards ranger bonuses to in case of need.
Elves: Same as the Hobbits explanation, if needed in your starting fellowship, or you use him to play knife of the galadhrim, he works well.
Knights: Maybe, I don’t see really any purpose for him in knight builds, but if you think it’s fine, just splash him in.
Dwarves: Now we are getting really weird.... Possibly if you have a purpose for him, splash him in with decks like dwarven wounding/slaked thirts builds.

This all boils down to that this version is mostly superb at the starting fellowship. I know one guy who played aragorn, strider with no stranger to the shadows. It was hard to beat.....

6.12.**aragorn, isildur’s heir: Sort of good, but gears only towards [gondor] tokens. If you have a [gondor] token deck, great, just throw him in. If not, no need to... But when combined with [gondor] tokens, he is one hard dude to slaughter. Plus He gets pretty strong when you can spot at least 3 cards with [gondor] tokens on it. Pretty good....

6.12.1How to use him in your games:
As I stated earlier, this version doesn’t seem to be quite as universal as the other versions.... So the explanations might be narrow.

Knights: Possibly, if you do use [gondor] tokens.
Noble Leaders: Yes!! The noble leaders has to do a lot with tokens... An obvious choice unless you use Strider in your starting fellowship.
Rangers: As I said in the Knights explanation, possibly if you do use tokens.

6.13.**aragorn, swift hunter: Great at being 9 strength most of the time, and works wonderfully with the three hunters. (gimli, eager hunter/legolas, eager hunter) He also can be used in decks because of his 9 strength most of the time, or game text. He doesn’t work to well when fighting against hunter minions.

6.13.1.How to use him in your games:
Well, since he has game text referring to hunters/non hunter minions, I will go through and explain him:

The three hunters: Like I stated earlier, he would be doing wonderful in these types of decks, but Thorongil might be a bit better, depending on your deck design.

That’s all?! Well, I couldn’t give any more explanations because of the only ability towards hunters....

6.14.*****aragorn, thorongil: The most expensive card on Cobra Cards right now!!! Due to his game text, many LOTR players have loved his abilities for the last few months. His ability to add a threat to wound a minion with lower strength than Aragorn’s, just creams swarm, especially with threat removal. Just a card that many players enjoy and use a ton. There will be a lot of explanations after this.....

Okay, after being around $16-$18, he is one $(@*& good version.

Elves: Yes!! He works wonderfully with elves, and when combined with aragorn’s bow, ranger’s longbow, he is one monster!
Knights: Also wonderfully wonderful. He gets around +2 strength every time he skirmishes, minions don’t hang around very long....
Rangers:[b] Almost to cheaty. The ability of pippin, wearer of black and silver with hardy garrison Aragorn, Thorongil, and many other wounding cards with this version can just obliterate the minions you are facing.
[b]Dwarf/slaked thirts wounding:
Yep, another good match. Just zip to site 9 and destroy minions.
Multi-Culture wounding: Again, another good matchup..... Just remember to have threat removal to be a beastly...
Wounding: Basically any wounding build that removes threats should put this in, he helps a lot!

7.Conclusion:
As you can see, Aragorn can be very helpful to many builds and also be a bane to many decks. It ’tis a good thing that these versions can be very helpful and very mean to minions. By the way, aragorn, thorongil is such a devastating killer with aragorn’s bow, ranger’s longbow.... Have fun splashing/winning and you name it....

8.1.Felipe Musco: Thanks to Felipe for designing the method of organization for the Table of Contents, and letting I, and many other CC members use it.
8.2.J.R.R. Tolkein: Thanks to Tolkein for designing the LOTR books, and letting us read them.
8.3.Conor Brace: Thanks to Connor for the World’s best card deals on the internet and letting us being able do discuss about LOTR and such with our usernames.
8.4.To Decipher: Thanks to Decipher for creating the LOTR trading card game that many of us enjoy playing.
8.5.To You: Thanks to you for reading and putting input on this strategy article.

Well, Thanks for reading,

-Glamdring-
Great minds think alike.~CarpeGuitarrem
Rangers will rule the World!! (CC's Official Ranger Lover)
My Haves/Wants Please look!!

...much debate much hard feelings. ~SOP
Glamdring
Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:41 pm
Has anyone reviewed my deck yet? It has been here a while...... Confused

bobtheorc
Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:04 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
I will vote later
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:05 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Great article a good effort. you get a 5
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Turin06
Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:34 am
Very detailed and well researched but you failed to keep my interest towards the end. Still a nice solid 4.
WitchKingBlkCapt
Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:37 pm
It was a good article but I had just two problems with it. I found it very repetitive which in turn makes it hard to keep reading it until the end. I still give it a 4 though.
"Do not stand between a nazgul and his prey."
MySpace
Glamdring
Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:50 pm
Thanks, I do tend to get a little repetetive.... So sorry about that. Surprised

NBarden
Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:37 am
You missed one crucial point on the Aragorn, Driven by Need. You need to mention how well it works with Merry, Rohirrim Squire and Pippin, Sworn to Service. These cards also work well with Trust Me As You Once Did. I would give you a five, but you missed that crucial bit of info. 4.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Gagnut
Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:07 am
It looks like you put in time and reasearch, I give it a five. And a gold coin.
I don't have an avatar, I don't have a sig, my posts speak for themselves.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest