LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
How playable is Where Now the Horse?

5 (best)  
40%
  [ 2 ]  40%

40%
  [ 2 ]  40%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (worst)  
20%
  [ 1 ]  20%

Total Votes : 5
Cobra
Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:26 am

A skirmish pump that gives +5 strength, but only to Frodo, and only when he’s accompanied by a Rohan companion -- sounds reasonable to me.

What’s that you say? Little Frodo must win his skirmish, or his Rohan bodyguard gets discarded? No thanks!

Where Now the Horse could potentially be a good combo with Aragorn, Defender of Rohan and/or Eomer, Northman, protecting Frodo well enough for their powerful abilities to kick in. But if your opponent has just one more pump up his sleeve than you expected, you’re gonna be in bad shape. I expect some argument on this one, but I think the new "let the Ring-bearer fight!" sub-strategy is just way too risky. It’s hard enough to keep a fellowship intact without playing cards that do the Shadow player’s work for him!

Call me old-fashioned, but I’d much rather play companions who are always strong, and pumps that are more generally useful. Make your opponent get rid of companions the hard way, and for goodness’ sake don’t put Frodo in harm’s way any more than you need to.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:03 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
I think that we haven’t seen all the cards, so as with Orkish assassin I think I will wait until all cards are spoiled before passing judgment. As NB said there are plenty of ways to pump frodo, or you cancel Frodo,FF’s skirmish with No visitors after you have reaped the benefits from Eomer and Aragorn.
Last edited by sickofpalantirs on Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in totalArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:50 am
I can’t see this being useful. Not only do you have to put Frodo in danger, you also have the danger of discarding the Rohan companion.

One combo I have noticed is to use Frodo, Frenzied Fighter with the pump - since he isn’t the Ring-bearer, the card isn’t as risky. Yeah, still not very good, but still an interesting idea. Wink
Last edited by AnxiousChieftain on Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in totalMODS RULE. - lem0nhead
NBarden
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:03 pm
I personally like a killer frodo idea. I already run a fighting Frodo deck. And with a bounder, nothing to worry about. (Or severed his bonds).

Then with Sting, Oh Elbereth Gilthoniel, The One Ring, such a weight to carry, on Frodo, Weary from the Journey, you can easily drop minons with him. Where now the horse? Try worst case scenario base strength 13. (if the shadow doesn’t lower strength). Plus, Aragorn and Eomer’s abilities kick in.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
JayPL
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:22 am
I love this card Dancing
Just imagine possibilities of playing Riders of the Mark all over in your Rohan wounding deck Mr. Green
and, if the minion skirmishing Frodo somehow does become too powerful, you still have Power According to His Stature, Second Breakfast or Cliffs of Emyn Muil Very Happy

five from me Applause
eomund
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:38 am
Don’t forget the last turn possiblilities of this event.

What’s that you say? A strength 12 minion is skirmishing Frodo on the last turn, and he’s about to be overwhelmed? Well, I play Where Now the Horse? Frodo only gets a burden - and I still win the game. Do I care if my companion is discarded? No. It’s the last turn.

sickofpalantirs wrote:
I think that we haven’t seen all the cards, so as with Orkish assassin I think I will wait until all cards are spoiled before passing judgment.

I agree. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see a bunch of minions who force Frodo to skirmish, making cards like Where Now the Horse? neccesary.
corvus
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:37 pm
Joined: 13 Oct 2006 Posts: 1696 Location: Roaming, but dangerous!!!
This card is the main component of the ninja frodo/rohirrim deck, along with Eomer and Gorn. Can’t wait to see more cards from this strategy. AND i wouldn’t hate to draw some of those babes as i prepare for my 7-9, especially if i’m on the final crucial skirmishes.
Click here if you want to trade some foils away Wink
Far, Far beyond the island we dwelt in shapes of twilight
Through draught and weary days
Through grief and endless pain
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:32 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Another combo that’s been mentioned is that of using Rohirrim Warrior to soak up a couple of minions, then discarding him before he can get killed! This is an awesome idea...sweet!
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion