LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
Gamblore
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:35 pm
--- description ---
I started this deck as a junk rare build around Muse Vessel. Basically you want to stall til you draw one and then steal your opponent’s hand. There is a lot of different ways to try to stay alive up til that point, however. This deck is very versatile and can create very annoying problems for your opponent but it’s not quite a great standard deck yet.
--- end description ---

Lands - 24
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Boreal Shelf
5 Snow-covered Plains
11 Snow-covered Island

Creatures - 10
4 Rimewind Taskmage
4 Mangara of Corondor
2 Temporal Adept

Other Spells - 26
4 Boomerang
4 Fellwar Stone
2 Wipe Away
2 Compulsive Research
2 Icy Manipulator
4 Muse Vessel
4 Annex
4 Wrath of God

Sideboard
3 Teferi’s Moat
4 Disenchant
3 Faith’s Fetters
1 Heidar, Rimewind master
4 Serrated Arrows

Strategy: I could use a little help with this deck, but it does have some strong points. I tried it in a Standard Tournament at a Local Card shop where it either blew my opponent out of the water or stayed alive for a long time before losing the round.

One nice thing about the deck is that if you have the first turn and can cast a boomerang, there’s a chance you can hold them to 1 or 2 lands for the whole game, it actually happens more often than you might think. Also, there is a lot of creature hate in the deck and there are some popular Standard decks that it can hose (Boros Deck Wins, Green Scryb/Force, etc.).

Also, if you don’t get your lucky mana-lock hand you can save that boomerang for later and play in a different direction. There are 18 Cards in the deck that can be aimed at either Artifacts, Creatures, or Lands so if mana-denial isn’t an option, try stopping their creatures or bouncing durring combat tricks.

Drawbacks are that it has a tough time against Control and below average against Dragonstorm. Anyone have ideas for improvement?

Budget Players: Swap out Hallowed Fountain for Terramorphic Expanse and Wrath of God for Pacifism and it will play almost the same but be about 60 bucks cheaper to build. I’ve only 2 Wraths and no fountains so thats usually how I play it.
MadHornist
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:53 pm
In place of the wraths you could play a few Magus of the Disk.

They’re way cheaper and wipe out EVERYTHING....which can be tricky. Ghostway can be used to save your critters...

I’d also consider going Tron, since you have duals anyway.

Then you could add the recursive spell burst for total lock down later in the game.

With Tron, Evangelize (with buyback) can be very effective as well.
Gamblore
Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:43 pm
Wraths are definately more useful than Magus of the Disk would be, mainly because you don’t have to wait a turn to use them.

While there are some nice bounce tricks you could do, I probably only want to wipe out creatures anyways because If i have an icy and a muse vessel on the table I don’t wanna kill my own stuff.

Also, ghostway is kind of pointless as my creatures are really only there for supportive abilities and It doesn’t usually hurt my game to have them killed. I’d rather play a spell that counters or hurt my opponent in place of ghostway.

However, your idea of going tron is pretty interesting. I might’ve tried it already if I actually had the dual lands but unfortunately right now I’m playing terramorphic’s in their place. I’m worried that the deck would simply boil down to a martyr tron deck eventually.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:12 am
Gamblore, what he’s suggesting is using magus of the disk so you can activate + ghostway, saving your own men. This requires less mana than wrath + ghostway.

My advice would actually not be more stall, but to play more bombs. I would recommend adarkar valkyrie and remand. Maybe something like this.

4 Wrath of God
4 Muse Vessel
4 Compulsive Research
4 Remand
4 Spell Snare
4 Mangara of Corondor
4 Faith’s Fetters
4 Azorius Signet
3 Adarkar Valkyrie
3 Akroma, Angel of Wrath

22 Lands etc.

Try it out and see how that runs!
Gamblore
Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:38 pm
Ouch!

Is it just me or is that build really slow?

Mana Curve:
1:4
2:8
3:8
4:12
6+:6

Well, I might not use the same build but I have considered doing another thing you did with your decklist and that is swapping out bounce effects for counterspells. If I were to do that my muse vessel would lose a lot of power though. One great way to remove a creature is to boomerang it and then untap and muse vessel (after his hand is empty of course).

I’m not opposed to using counters, but I want the main focus of the deck to be the muse.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:50 pm
My build is slow, but effective. Remand on the last card can power up muse vessel. If you really want to focus on a card like that, I’ll have to warn you the deck won’t be competitive, but you could always play vision skeins.

My build is slow because it’s intended for signet turn two, then make big effects (Wrath) turn three, and start countering until a bomb can come play.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)