LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion
Cobra
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:11 pm
I grew up on the old Star Wars CCG, and more recently on Lord of the Rings TCG. Both these games involve starting with a few crucial cards already on the table, and the rules allow for drawing several cards each turn. (In fact, SWCCG and LOTR TCG players plan to see at least 90% of their deck each game!) So bad hands aren’t really an issue.

Contrast that type of system with Magic: The Gathering, where you start with absolutely nothing and generally draw one card per turn, and knowing when to mulligan becomes incredibly important. I find myself with no clue what to do a lot more often than I’d like. Laughing

Obviously anything that’s ridiculously low or high on land (0-1, 6-7) gets tossed. Apart from that, what principles do you guys use to decide when you need to mulligan?
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
shieldelf
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:27 am
When I used to play, I mulliganed when eather:
A) My opponant has a better card out that I have in my hand
B)I have no lands, or
C)I have all lands

I have quit MTG mostly cuz I find LotR much funner. But that is when I would mulligan.
Elfs pwn, need I say more??? Wink
My RPG
My DC contest
My trade list
physcosick
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:45 am
Well, generally speaking, it depends on both your deck and your opponent’s.

If your playing with an aggro deck, you obviously want to out speed your opponent so curving out is important. An example of curving out would be like...
Turn 1: Savannah lion
turn 2: soltari priest
turn 3: suspend rift bolt, magus of the scroll, savannah lions

something like that, where you are tapping out every turn, constantly playing threats. You wouldn’t want to keep a hand with more then 3 lands, but since you probably are only running 20 in boros, that shouldn’t be an issue. A slow hand to where you are not able to play a threat till turn 3 or so is not good at all and needs to be pitched back.

If your playing control, you need to make sure you have a hand of 3 lands and some control cards. It’s ok to go with 2 lands assuming the hand also includes remands and mana leaks to where even though you are missing land drops, you can still stall and cantrip into the necessary land drops. Control is all about hitting land drops. In today’s day and age, a control deck has to reach 5 mana, if they never reach it, they are screwed, if they take a while getting there, they are screwed. Why 5 mana? Teferi.

If your playing combo, it depends on a lot but of course you need to have some of your pieces in your hand. As an example, let me reference dragonstorm. I love this deck and one thing i like is how different it plays out. Against mid range decks you can time stuff like Lotus Bloom to finish suspending the turn you go off (based on statistics and your telling times, etc. Against aggro decks, you have to go crazy fast trying to get it set up. Against control is totally different.

Aggro decks, I need to have most of the combo in hand, it’s a most, or I lose. Control decks, though, is a lot more fun because I can’t play dragonstorm, it will get countered and I just looked like an idiot. Instead, i like to see a remand, 2 hellkites, some accel, and some lands, storage lands are a must, and of course at least one gigadrowse.

Keep in mind also, the mana costs of the cards. The cmc (converted mana cost) is important for "curving" but pay close attention to the type of mana needed for each card and what you have in your hand. Obviously, your not going to keep a hand full of green spells with 2 islands. Also, your prolly not going to want to keep a hand full of double colored spells (ie 3UU) if you don’t have at least 2 lands of that mana.

Another important feature in mulliganning and playing your deck in general is a common phrase called "knowing your role". In most matches there is always an aggro and a control. You have to realize what you have to do to beat your opponent (out race him or control him) and keep a hand that fits that need. This concept was populated by mike flores in an article he wrote for the dojo and I don’t remember the name of the article off hand but if you can find it, it’s a good read, even though i despise mike flores.

if u tell me ur deck i can be specific on examples.

also, there was an article on mtg.com about mulliganing....
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/nw38

shieldelf wrote:
When I used to play, I mulliganed when either:
A) My opponent has a better card out that I have in my hand...
You have to decide to keep or mulligan before any players play anything.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion