LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
How playable is Madril, Loyal Lieutenant?

5 (best)  
16%
  [ 2 ]  16%

41%
  [ 5 ]  41%

33%
  [ 4 ]  33%

8%
  [ 1 ]  8%

1 (worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 12
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:42 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.

Personally I love this Madril. He can still boost site numbers, but it takes more exertions, something IB already needs a lot of. Also at 6 strength + hunter 1 and an IB he can take on minions easier then his predecessor.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
NBarden
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:52 pm
Here’s why they Xd the old madril. They have a substitute. Not as good, but here’s his replacement. Thanks to Madril, Defender of Osgiliath getting Xd, this card is going to see a lot of play.

The Ithilien Blade is going to use this new Madril a lot, and thus is going to need to include A LOT more healing. Maybe D will release a maneuver healing card. And Houses of Healing is finally viable thanks to Madril’s text, as is an extremely broken Boromir, Doomed Heir / Guarded City / Heirs of Gondor combo.

Of course over here in expanded, Long Live the Old Madril!

But overall, a 5.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:05 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
I almost posted it myself. I think Cobra dozed off somewhere. Wink

I can easily see the justification for a 5, but I’m giving it a 4 in protest of this new penchant Decipher has for increasing the twilight cost of 6/3 companions from 2 to 3 and covering it up with a hunter 1. I consider it a sloppy way to slap more text on a card and justify it with a higher-than-normal twilight cost, but perhaps that’s just me. I think others like the older Elite Rider and Ranger of Ithilien are okay because of their easy cost reduction and strength +2 boost. But I’m not a fan of this new "bright idea".

That all said, this card is certainly very playable in most any format, and I applaud the designer(s). His first ability is a good one for any Gondor-heavy deck to have, and his maneuver ability fits well with ranger decks. And while I still don’t like the twilight boost, the fact that he can rather easily get up to 7 strength is nice.

So yeah. I’d give it a 5 if it wasn’t for my protest. Razz
corvus
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:07 pm
Joined: 13 Oct 2006 Posts: 1696 Location: Roaming, but dangerous!!!
I agree, i’d love to keep the old Madril instead of this one. Yes, he does get a decent strength bonus and yes, he does still boost the IB strategy but his high twilight cost and steep exert maneuver ability make him too hard to replace the old one with.

The only combo i can think of is using the other new ranger to make him defender +1 in the starting fellowship, in case sth goes wrong...
Click here if you want to trade some foils away Wink
Far, Far beyond the island we dwelt in shapes of twilight
Through draught and weary days
Through grief and endless pain
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:36 pm
I don’t think his first ability will be too useful; after all, Buckland Homestead is arguably the most common form of condition removal and it triggers before the Freeps really has a chance to make a minion roaming. So, that first ability doesn’t strike me as very good.

His 2nd ability is nice, but even so, it takes 2 exertions for just +2 site number. That’s a lot of exertions for such a small bonus, and I think I’d rather use the new Soldier’s Cache and/or the fortification from ROTK to increase the site number.

Madril only gets a 3 from me.

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
elf lvr
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:58 pm
Soldier’s Cache and ROTK fotifications are better for site bonuses. But he’s very good as a last resort, or if you’re playing against nazgul and moving to site 9. Still, I’d like him a lot more if he costed 2. At least you can start him with a prowler if you absolutely have to.

I don’t care about the old Madril getting X-ed, I always play my IB deck Expanded anyways (for the faramir).
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Cobra
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:32 pm
Sorry guys, it’s been a busy day... Laughing Thanks for taking the initiative, SoP!

Madril, Loyal Lieutenant is clearly much worse than his predecessor, but reading between the lines I think there’s some good news for fans of Ithilien Blade decks.

IB was regarded by almost everyone as being overpowered, and I wouldn’t have been surprised if Decipher had decided to hose the deck completely by X-listing the central pin -- Ithilien Blade itself. (Remember Demoralized?) Instead they just replaced an overpowered supporting card with a less powerful version. (It seems clear that the addition of Madril, Defender of Osgiliath to the X-list has been planned for some time; otherwise the Decipher team certainly wouldn’t have bothered designing Loyal Lieutenant.) With Rise of Saruman we also get some new cards for the decktype, most notably Soldier’s Cache, which shows that Decipher intends to continue supporting it.

So yes, everyone will hate the new Madril for not being the old one, and IB decks won’t be as powerful as before. But they’ll still be around, and will still be very playable IMO.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:52 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
AnxiousChieftain wrote:
I don’t think his first ability will be too useful; after all, Buckland Homestead is arguably the most common form of condition removal and it triggers before the Freeps really has a chance to make a minion roaming. So, that first ability doesn’t strike me as very good.

Actually, I think Buckland Homestead technically triggers off a site, which is not a Shadow card. So...it’s viable any time. But that is a nice bit of work...and it’s especially a good defense against You Do Not Know Fear.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:59 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
I don’t know if I should post again on the thread i started but,
until ROTK is rotated, third level is going to be very good methinks. Yes but buckland homestead will always be a pain in the proverbial rear end Wink.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Eoweenie
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:22 pm
Third Level is not going to very good. It’s during skirmish, so you can’t blade people with this fortification.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion