LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
Raistlin
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:49 pm
--- description ---
I’ve seen a lot of decks around Mishra, this incredible card, but none of them is standard legal. That’s very expected because a lot of good artifact cards have place in Mirrodin block, with Ravnica block very poor in artifacts compared to Mirrodin. I tried to make one for standard format and that’s the result:
--- end description ---
I’ve seen a lot of decks around Mishra, this incredible card, but none of them is standard legal. That’s very expected because a lot of good artifact cards have place in Mirrodin block, with Ravnica block very poor in artifacts compared to Mirrodin. I tried to make one for standard format and that’s the result:

Main Deck (60 Cards)

// Lands
7 Swamp
6 Mountain
7 Island
4 [TSP] Terramorphic Expanse

// Creatures
4 [TSP] Stuffy Doll
4 [TSP] Mishra, Artificer Prodigy
2 [CS] Phyrexian Snowcrusher

// Spells
3 [GP] Dimir Signet
4 [RAV] Pariah’s Shield
4 [TSP] Strangling Soot
2 [TSP] Foriysian Totem
3 [DIS] Rakdos Signet
4 [CS] Jester’s Scepter
3 [RAV] Clutch of the Undercity
3 [RAV] Brainspoil

Sideboard (15 Cards)

3 [9E] Blood Moon
4 [TSB] Tormod’s Crypt
4 [TSB] Serrated Arrows
4 [RAV] Last Gasp

How it works (strategy):

The deck works around Mishra, who is a legendary creature with a great ability for a deck which is running artifacts. On goal is to achieve combination of Stuffy Doll and Pariah’s Shield, something that will give to our opponents hard times. I’ve added some signets, which will give us the necessary mana boost in order to play earlier in play our key cards (Mishra, Stuffy Doll and Pariah’s Shield). With Mishra in play, when we play one signet we can retrieve another one from our library, which means double extra mana for us. Foriysian Totem is a mana producing artifact and an activated 4/4 giant with trample for after game. Some removal for the deck is Strangling Soot, for the early game and with buyback for later, and Brainspoil, which was added due to a most important reason: its transmute ability. With the transmute, we can search for Stuffy Doll or Pariah’s Shield if he have the doll already in play. For the same reason I’m using Clutch of the Undercity, which is a useful card by itself, but we can transmute it and search for a Mishra there. The Jester’s Scepter is an excellent card, which can mess up the opponent’s game just with one in play. With Mishra we can play two at once, removing ten cards from opponent’s library and countering anything nasty we see there. Stuffy Doll is an excellent card by itself, giving us protection from any single ground attack. Equipped with Pariah’s Shield is giving us protection from any damage source, any damage is redirected to it and finally to our opponent. If we managed to play Mishra before Pariah’s shield, we have two of them just in case, and our opponent has to find a solution for two artifacts. Phyrexian Snowcrusher is just a heavy creature, which can become stronger for every single amount of mana we pay for its ability, good finisher.
animefiend7
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:48 am
i honestly have never seen a deck like this, ever! i tried it in apprentice and it seems to work, but i have only been using mishra for my tinker/colossus deck cause having four darksteel colossus out by 3rd turn is freaking amazing. anyways, like the deck and love the name, mr raistlin majere...i am only guessing thats what you were going for! Homage
Raistlin
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:16 pm
Well, thank you for you good words my friend! Yes that’s what I was going for, another Dragonlance fan! Mr. Green
elf lvr
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:48 pm
Yet another Dragonlance fan right here! Raistlin rocks, seriously.

Looks like a sweet deck, except for one thing: How do you plan to deal with artifact hate? Seems like some good destruction could really get you down.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Raistlin
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:31 pm
Well that’s a problem, but that’s why I use Mishra to take all the important artifacts in couples, the opponent will need 2 putrefy or shatter to get rid off the 2 Jester’s Sceptre or the 2 Pariah’s Shield. And don’t forget that Stuffy Doll is indestructible. But if that’s not enough we can always use Academy Ruins! That’s could mess up our mana base a little, but we could retrieve our artifacts from the graveyard. Our mana base in that case would be like this:

6 Swamp
5 Mountain
6 Island
4 Terramorphic Expanse
3 or 4 Academy Ruins

Thanks a lot for your observation!
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:13 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
I’m actually more worried with how you’re going to deal 20 damage with this deck before being crushed... I mean, yeah, you play Stuffy Doll, and bam, Sudden Death... Your sideboard is waaay off, I’ll get back to this later if you want, but for now, let’s focus on main. I see a cool idea, and a cool combo, but I don’t see a lot of consistency, and you lack protection for your combo pieces. Also, Snowcrusher consumes WAAAY too much mana, and as for now, Mishra seems like he could go, and that’s the whole point of the deck. Not really sure what we could do here... Perhaps go with Clutch of the Undercity, some counterspells, signets, Traumatize, Glimpse the Unthinkable, etc, and go for milling? THEN Jester’s Scepter would be cool. Also, a cool mini-combo with Mishra that people tend to miss: Phyrexian Totem. Activate it, sac the Scepters, get one back with Ruins, play both again.
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)