LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions
elf lvr
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:49 pm
Hello. I’m new to MTG, and I’m utterly overwhelmed by the sheer number of card abilities that have been slapped onto cards over the ages.
Haste, Trample, Vigilance, Dredge, Ninjutsu, Hellbent.... and so many more!
Is there anyone out there who could provide me with (whether writing it themselves or sending me to a site that has it) a list of card abilites with what they do and what colors they are normally associated with? This would be extremely helpful.
If no one has the time to do this, I understand. It would just be a major help to me.
Definate gp to whoever does it (not like I need to bribe you).
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
physcosick
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:00 pm
Here is a dictionary of slang:
http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/3656.html

as for abilities, i’m not going to descirbe the basic ones but i’ll list them:

Affinity for []: Card costs one generia mana less for each [] you control. Mostly artifacts, blue, and red. See frogmite.

Banding - A special ability which allows a creature to combine with other creatures for attack or defense. Mostly white.

Bloodthirst: Bloodthirst X (If an opponent was dealt damage this turn, this creature comes into play with X +1/+1 counters on it.). Red and green.

Bushido: Bushido X (When this blocks or becomes blocked, it gets +X/+X until end of turn.). Red, Black, and white

Channel: Pay a cost and discard the card from your hand and there is a special ability. Not color specific. See Arashi, the Sky Asunder.

Convoke- Each creature you tap while playing this spell reduces its cost by 1 generic mana or by one mana of that creature’s color. Green and white.

Cumulative Upkeep- Example: Cumulative Upkeep 1: During your upkeep, sacrifice this card unless you pay it’s Cumulative Upkeep cost. First upkeep the cost is 1, second upkeep the cost is 2, thirsd upkeep the cost is 3, etc. It is not color defined.

Cycling- Discard the card from your hand to either draw a card or search for a basic land, depending on what type of cycling and what the card reads. Not color specific.

Defender: Creature can not attack. Not color specific.

Dredge: skip your draw and remove the specified number of cards from the top of your graveyard and return the dredge card from your graveyard to your hand. Green and Black

Double Strike: Creature deals both first strike damage and regular damage. Mostly red and white.

Echo: A card with echo has to be sacrificed at the beginning of the next upkeep unless you pay the echo cost (you only have to pay the echo cost once, and the first upkeep after it’s in play). Not really color specific

Equip: Equip X (X: Attach to target creature you control. Equip only as a sorcery. This card comes into play unattached and stays in play if the creature leaves play.). Artifacts. See bonesplitter.

Fear: Creature can’t be blocked except by Artifact and Black creatures. Mostly black

First Strike: Creature deals it’s damage before any other creature deals damage, unless the blocking creature(s) have first strike. In which case they deal the damage at the same time. Mostly white and red but also can be black.

Flanking- Blocking creatures get -1/-1 until end of turn. White and Red

Flash- You may play the card as an instant. Not color specific.

Flying- Creature can only be block by creatures with flying or creatures that can block as though they have flying. not color specific

Forecast: Pay a cost and reveal the card from your hand during your upkeep and there is a special ability that the card does. White and Blue

Graft: Graft X (This creature comes into play with X +1/+1 counters on it. Whenever another creature comes into play, you may move a +1/+1 counter from this creature onto it.) Blue and green

Haste: can tap the turn it comes into play. Mostly red.

Haunt- When you play this card, there is an ability, then the card haunts target creature. When the haunted creature goes to the graveyard, the ability occurs again. Black and White. See Blind Hunter.

Hellbent — If you have no cards in hand, this card gets a special ability. Red and Black

Indestructible: “Destroy” effects and lethal damage don’t destroy it.

Land walk- Some creatures specify a basic land type in which they can not be blocked if an opponent controls that land. mostly creatures that are the same color as the land listed.

Modular: Modular X (This comes into play with X +1/+1 counters on it. When it’s put into a graveyard, you may put its +1/+1 counters on target artifact creature). Artifacts.

Morph- pay 3 mana to play it face down as a 2/2 and you can pay the morph cost to flip it up. Does not use the stack so you can respond to anything, even Split Second. Not color specific.

Ninjutsu: Ninjitsu X (X, Return an unblocked attacker you control to hand: Put this card into play from your hand tapped and attacking.) Blue and black.

Poison - Some creatures will poison a player when damaging him or her. When any player has 10 (or more) poison counters, they lose the game. Poison was first introduced in the Legends expansion set. I believe this is green and black

Protection from X: (X can be white, blue, black, red, green, artifacts, sorceries, instants, enchantments, etc) card can not be targeted by X spells, can not be blocked by X creatures, and can’t be dealt damage by X creatures.

Radiance: spells that target a creature and benefits or hurts other creatures of the same color. See Brightflame. Red and White.

Rampage - For each blocker other then the first, an attacking creature with rampage: x gains +x/+x until the end of the turn. mostly green and red

Regeneration - Creatures on the way to the Graveyard may be regenerated under special circumstances. In this case, they return to play with any enchantments on them intact. Creatures become tapped when regenerated, but they need not have been untapped before regenerating. Mostly Green and Black.

Replicate- You can copy a spell as many times as you want by paying a cost. Blue and Red. See Gigadrowse.

Ripple- Ripple X: when you play this card, reveal the top X cards of your library. If you reveal a card with the same name as the one you played, you may play it with out paying it’s cost. Not color specific.

Scry: Scry X (Look at the top X cards of your library. Put any number of them on the bottom of your library and the rest on top in any order.)

Shadow- can only block creature with shadow, only creatures with shadow can block this creature. White, black, and blue.

Splice onto Arcane: As you play an Arcane spell, you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its splica cost. If you do, add this cards effect on to the Arcan spell that you played. Not color specific.

Split Second- while this card is on the stack, no one can play spells or abilities. Not color specific.

Storm: copy the spell for the number of spells played before it this turn. 3 spells this turn, 4 copies of the card on the stack. Not color specific.

Soulshift: kind of hard to explain but a creature with Soulshift X says "when this card goes to the graveyard, return a spirit creature to your hand with converted mana cost of X or less. Mostly green but i think there might be a couple black ones.

Sunburst: gets X counters when you pay the cost with X different colors. Artifacts

Suspend- Card gets rfg with X time counters on it instead of being played immediately. Every upkeep, a time counter is removed. When all time counters are gone, the card is played. Not color specific.

Threshold- card gains a special ability if you control more then 7 cards in your graveyard. Not color specific.

Trample - excess damage (attacking creature’s power minus blocking creatures’ total toughness) go from a blocker directly to the defending player.

Transmute: Transmute X. Pay the cost and search your library for a card with converted mana cost of y where y is equal to this card’s converted mana cost. Blue and Black. See Muddle the Mixture.

Vigilance: Attacking doesn’t cause it to tap. Mostly white.

Hopefully I didn’t miss any. If anyone sees any that I missed, I’ll go back and edit it.
Last edited by physcosick on Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
elf lvr
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:06 pm
Thanks! That’s an awful lot, even though you say you aren’t done...
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Cobra
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:50 pm
You’re a very helpful guy, physcosick. Very Happy At a glance it looks pretty thorough; some of these I’ve never had an opportunity to learn myself. "Protection" comes to mind as one that you missed.

Wikipedia has a very thorough entry on Magic: The Gathering keywords as well. It’s probably a little overwhelming for new players, but I’d recommend reading it at some point. It includes some specific examples and rulings, as well as "historical" information relating the keywords to certain colors and MTG expansions.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
elf lvr
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:13 pm
It’d be especially cool if we could get an orgainized list of these up and stickied. Wink

Thanks again, physcosick (I hope I spelled it right), a good amount of gp goin to ya.

EDIT: I missed Buyback in here, too. Wink
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:01 pm
I’m going to go over protection, as a slightly more advanced rule than some like say buyback or trample.

Protection from X means the creature cannot:

Be blocked by creatures of that color/type/whatever
Cannot be targetted by spells of that color
cannot be dealt damage by spells of that color

CAN be affected globally (a creature with pro. white can be wrathed away)

Just to clear up trample- lethal damage has to be assigned. If I burn a creature before stacking damage, I can stack that much more at the player. Of course, I could have always just burned they player, but you get the point. It’s lethal damage total, not from the trampling creature.

LMK if you have any more questions/need clarifitcations on anything.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions