LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
25%
  [ 2 ]  25%

37%
  [ 3 ]  37%

37%
  [ 3 ]  37%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 8
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:01 pm
I find it interesting that you say I’m Spike to the gut. Recently, I’ve been working on Magic decks I can play by spoils rules. I’ve been making combo decks, timmy decks, and nothing spikewise.

When I become a Spike it’s because I think somebody needs assistance construction the best deck they can play, so I do research and things.

So, to fit my self-made, unnatural personality, I did some more research. Black rack was #3 on the week ending Jan 6th. Here’s the list.

4 x Flagstones of Trokair
4 x Caves of Koilos
4 x Godless Shrine
1 x Orzhov Basilica
9 x Swamp
4 x Ravenous Rats
2 x Mindslicer
4 x Dark Confidant
4 x Jotun Grunt
2 x Funeral Charm
3 x Last Gasp
4 x Stupor
4 x Cry of Contrition
4 x The Rack
4 x Smallpox
3 x Mortify

Two things occur to me. One, it splashed another color. Two, it’s playing a much lower mana curve to make a faster build. Without going into detail about how many playsets there are, suffice to say it’s quick and consistent, as well as playing another color.

Long story short- I don’t intend to be "closed-minded". I said nothing about your theme when I could have said that no black control decks have been successful in standard even remotely since death cloud, I held my tongue when you wanted to play control and miss dark confidant. I was trying to help you make your style of deck better and I’m sorry you didn’t like the advice. Like I said before, if you don’t want to take it, then don’t! I don’t know what kind of decks you all want to play. All I can possibly know is what I like to play and what the stats say, and I like to try and spam as much knowledge about a particular topic as I can easily find.
Cobra
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:06 am
I’ve removed all the off-topic posts from this thread so that future readers don’t have to wade through our bickering. Wink If I have accidentally deleted something that’s relevant to the discussion of this article, please feel free to post it again or edit it into one of your existing posts, as appropriate.

Article writers, remember that by posting your work in a contest you are by definition opening it up to criticism. Make sure your skin is thick enough. And everyone, remember that there’s ALWAYS a way to get your point across without being hostile about it.

That’s all I have to add... Suffice it to say that there have been olive branches extended, and I think we can move on. Cool

This post will also be removed in a day or two.

Cheers,
Cobra
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
Barry Gibb
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:27 am
Im sorry im new to this and it felt as you were being a bully and unaccepting to new people. I see that was not your true intent so i do forgive you and i belive i understand now.
inresponse
Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:28 pm
that black rack list is just one of the lists played on mtgo right now (errr, a couple weeks ago). Most of the lists are mono black, Karsten just uses that example because it encompasses all the stratgies used in the multiple versions of the archetype. Here’s a list of plain old black rack:

4 ravenous rats
4 dark confidant
4 stromgald crusader
4 plagued rusalka
4 cruel edict
4 smallpox
2 phyrexian arena
4 cry of contrition
4 stupor
4 the rack
2 ghost quarter
20 swamp

as you can see, the two lists function almost identically. The only difference is in the removal spells, the creatures, and the lands.

I like the monoblack version a little better because having ghost quarter vs. desert is extremely important in the already mediocre dralnu match up.
Cobra
Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:11 am
The second-place contenders this month present a bit of a challenge for me. Barry Gibb’s article is ahead of Felipe’s by an eighth of a point. However, we had several votes that were admitted to be artificially high (or low) as a "correction" to an article’s overall rating, and this is definitely stretching the rules. If the votes in question were adjusted, Felipe’s article would be ahead by an eighth of a point.

Since we have two strong articles with very little difference in rating, and the grounds for declaring either of them the winner are rather shaky, I’m simply calling this a tie.

So, congrats to our newcomer Barry Gibb for tying for 2nd Place ($5.00 store credit) in January’s Magic: The Gathering strategy article contest. Cool
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:30 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Applause Very good for a first attempt, dude! Homage Keep’em coming.
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest