LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
BattleWarg
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:09 am
It’s been quite a while since I’ve made cards and longer since I’ve played, so I thought, hey, why not start with something that’s been being attempted since the start of the game?

The idea behind this set is a what if, taking that the Ring was captured by the forces of Shadow at some point, and now need to get it to the Tower of Barad-dur in Mordor so that Sauron is now unstoppable. Rules are basically the same as normal. Resistance is the loyalty to Sauron, with burdens indicating that they are becoming more likely to make a bid for power of their own. Sites are going to have the same type of order as they did in the movie sets, although regions may be referenced as well.

This will result in odd scenarios, such as the Nazgul going off on their own, and possibly later Sauron trekking back to Barad-dur with the Ring.

Please note that these are not intended to be used with the official cards, although they should be compatable. I’m still working on the cards, so any suggestions for cards to be made are welcome, and these cards are very open to change, as there isn’t much of a basis for stats in particular.

As of right now, there will be four Signets: Sauron, Balrog, Saruman and Witch-king.
The new keywords (currently) are: Hillman (unloaded), Savage (unloaded)

So, to start this off, the Ring and Ring-bearers:

•The One Ring, Lost Band
+2 Strength
+1 Vitality
While wearing The One Ring, each time bearer would take a wound, add a burden instead.
Skirmish: Exert bearer to have the Ringbearer wear The One Ring until the regroup phase. If bearer has the Sauron signet, add 2.
DR1

4 •Saruman, The White Hand Isengard
Companion • Wizard
7 Strength
4 Vitality
5 Ringed Resistance
Saruman Signet
While Saruman is the Ring-bearer, at the start of each skirmish involving him, add 2 burdens or discard an Isengard condition.
Fellowship: Remove X Isengard cards in your discard pile from the game to play an Isengard Orc or Isengard Uruk-hai from your hand or discard pile; its twilight cost is -X.

4 •The Witch-king, Terror of the North Wraith
Companion • Nazgul
8 Strength
4 Vitality
6 Ringed Resistance
Sauron Signet
While The Witch-king is the Ringbearer, at the start of each skirmish involving him, add 2 burdens or place 2 wounds on Nazgul.
Maneuver: Exert The Witch-king to take a Wraith event into your hand from your discard pile.
Last edited by BattleWarg on Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:18 pm; edited 11 times in total
menace64
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:21 am
If I may suggest, you should have one ’basic’ Ring-bearer that doesn’t have a built-in penalty. I’m not sure who that would be though.
Riddle 9
When I came to Abraham I let him live just a moment longer. When I came to Moses I saved his life more than once. But the salmon... I regret to say I had a hand in its death.

Who am I?
BattleWarg
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:33 am
Yeah, that would make sense. Do you think The Witch-king would work without his penalty? Or should it be a weaker character (Gollum, perhaps?) to replace Frodo? So...

2 •Gollum, Gifted Gollum
Companion
4 Strength
4 Vitality
8 Ringed Resistance
While Gollum is the Ringbearer, he may not be overwhelmed unless his strength is tripled.
Skirmish: Add a burden to make Gollum strength +2.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:14 am
BattleWarg wrote:
Yeah, that would make sense. Do you think The Witch-king would work without his penalty? Or should it be a weaker character (Gollum, perhaps?) to replace Frodo? So...

2 •Gollum, Gifted Gollum
Companion
4 Strength
4 Vitality
8 Ringed Resistance
While Gollum is the Ringbearer, he may not be overwhelmed unless his strength is tripled.
Skirmish: Add a burden to make Gollum strength +2.

Whoa! Way overpowered. No way you can knock that RB out. Cut the skirmish and make his strength 3. Then it would work.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
BattleWarg
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:57 am
What about having the abilities be unstackable? Like:

2 •Gollum, Gifted Gollum
Companion
3 Strength
4 Vitality
8 Ringed Resistance
While Gollum is not the Ringbearer, he may not be overwhelmed unless his strength is tripled.
Skirmish: If Gollum is the Ringbearer, add a burden to make him strength +2.

The thought being, if he doesn’t have the ring, he stays until he becomes able to get it, even against things that should stop him. If he does, he becomes fiercer in his defence of it, although it corrupts him easier.

Or maybe for the first line ’When Gollum would be overwhelmed, you may shuffle him into your draw deck instead.’ - indicating an escape from an opponent much too powerful for him to take on at the time. He survives by disappearing for a time. He can’t do that with the ring, so he’d still be limited to his strength boost as the Ring-bearer, but keeps the Free Peoples busy trying to find him.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Slap a limit on the burdens.
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:09 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
NBarden wrote:
Slap a limit on the burdens.

Yeah. Maybe like:

Skirmish: If Gollum is the Ring-bearer, add a burden to make him strength +2 (limit +6).

Maybe even +4.

And make sure you don’t use "Ringbearer", but "Ring-bearer". Don’t make Decipher’s sloppy mistakes too! Razz
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:55 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
sweet idea! I will try to drop in from time to time and toss in some reviews. For now Have a GP and good work!
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
BattleWarg
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:06 pm
Quote:
And make sure you don’t use "Ringbearer", but "Ring-bearer". Don’t make Decipher’s sloppy mistakes too!

True. Like I said, it’s been quite a while.

Let’s see here...

2 •Gollum, Gifted Gollum
Companion
3 Strength
4 Vitality
8 Ringed Resistance
While Gollum is not the Ring-bearer, he may not be overwhelmed unless his strength is tripled.
Skirmish: If Gollum is the Ring-bearer, add a burden to make Gollum strength +2 (limit +4).

I think I’ll throw into the mix a ’support’ Nazgul and a condition...

2 Formless Shadow Wraith
Condition
-1 Strength
Bearer must be a Nazgul. Bearer is enduring.
Fellowship:
Discard bearer to make each Nazgul’s twilight cost -1.

4 •Ulaire Enquea, Ren Wraith
Companion • Nazgul
8 Strength
4 Vitality
5 Resistance
Sauron Signet
Maneuver: Exert Ulaire Enquea to make a Nazgul gain muster until the end of the regroup phase.

4 •Ulaire Enquea, The Unclean Wraith
Companion • Nazgul
7 Strength
4 Vitality
7 Resistance
Witch-king Signet
Muster.
Assignment:
Assign a Man to skirmish Ulaire Enquea. If that Man was a Gondor Man, Ulaire Enquea is strength +2 until the end of the skirmish phase.
NBarden
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:12 pm
BattleWarg wrote:
Quote:
And make sure you don’t use "Ringbearer", but "Ring-bearer". Don’t make Decipher’s sloppy mistakes too!

True. Like I said, it’s been quite a while.

Let’s see here...

2 •Gollum, Gifted Gollum
Companion
3 Strength
4 Vitality
8 Ringed Resistance
While Gollum is not the Ring-bearer, he may not be overwhelmed unless his strength is tripled.
Skirmish: If Gollum is the Ring-bearer, add a burden to make Gollum strength +2 (limit +4).

Better

I think I’ll throw into the mix a ’support’ Nazgul and a condition...

2 Formless Shadow Wraith
Condition
-1 Strength
Bearer must be a Nazgul. Bearer is enduring.
Fellowship:
Discard bearer to make each Nazgul’s twilight cost -1.

Nice. Cut the fellowship ability, or do something cool. I would never use it, personally.

4 •Ulaire Enquea, Ren Wraith
Companion • Nazgul
8 Strength
4 Vitality
5 Resistance
Sauron Signet
Maneuver: Exert Ulaire Enquea to make a Nazgul gain muster until the end of the regroup phase.

? Other than the strength +1 bonus he starts with, there’s no reason I’d use him.

4 •Ulaire Enquea, The Unclean Wraith
Companion • Nazgul
7 Strength
4 Vitality
7 Resistance
Witch-king Signet
Muster.
Assignment:
Assign a Man to skirmish Ulaire Enquea. If that Man was a Gondor Man, Ulaire Enquea is strength +2 until the end of the skirmish phase.

Hm...Gondor minions? You know, save yourself a lot of trouble and put, "While skirmishing a Gondor man, bearer is strength +2."

Anyways, nice

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards