LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:12 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
2Hilan, Soldier of Esgaroth Gandalf
Companion • Man
Strength: 5
Vitality: 3
Resistance: 6
Knight.
For each threat you can spot, Hilan is strength +1 (limit +3).
Each time Hilan wins a skirmish, you may remove a threat.
Long without battle but also long under siege, the men of Laketown have kept their skills—and spears—sharpened for battle.

Awesome. Don’t change the abilities.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
2Tarn, Esgaroth Watchman Gandalf
Companion • Man
Strength: 6
Resistance: 6
Knight.
For each threat you can spot, Tarn is strength +1 (limit +2).
Response: If an opponent plays a minion, exert Tarn and a Gandalf Man to remove [X], where X is the vitality of that minion.
“‘The lights again! Last night the watchmen saw them start and fade from midnight until dawn.’”

I’d drop his strength to 5 and increase the limit to +3. I also think he’d be more balanced if his ability exerted him twice, instead of exerting him and another Gandalf Man.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 Esgaroth Long Sword Gandalf
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be a Gandalf knight.
Skirmish: If you cannot spot three threats, add two threats to make bearer damage +1.
Though known throughout the northern lands for their skill with bow and spear, the Lakemen were proficient swordsmen as well.

Maybe damage +2?

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:53 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 Esgaroth Long Sword Gandalf
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be a Gandalf knight.
Skirmish: If you cannot spot three threats, add two threats to make bearer damage +1.
Though known throughout the northern lands for their skill with bow and spear, the Lakemen were proficient swordsmen as well.

Maybe damage +2?

How about this:

Skirmish: If you cannot spot three threats, add two threats to make bearer damage +1. Then you may add another threat to make him or her damage +1 again.

I’ll make the changes you recommended to Hilan and Tarn.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:41 am
Dáin’s DC Duos #30

Today we cross into the 30s (we’re flying by with these, aren’t we? Very Happy), so to celebrate (and make up for no Duo yesterday), you get a trio of some of my favorite Gandalf Men cards today. Smile Enjoy!

2Armed and Ready Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot 2 Gandalf Man companions.
Maneuver: Exert a Gandalf Man to play up to 3 Gandalf possessions from your draw deck. Discard this condition.
Maneuver: Exert a Gandalf Man to take up to 2 Gandalf archery or skirmish events into hand from your draw deck. Discard this condition.
“Every vessel in the town was filled with water, every warrior was armed, every arrow and dart was ready, and the bridge to the land was thrown down and destroyed....”

I believe this was actually inspired by one of Menace64’s cards back in the day. It’s unique to prevent things from getting out of control, but it’s hard to justify NOT having one of these when using Gandalf Men. Is it too powerful? Too weak? Just right? You tell me. Smile

2 Not Lost! Gandalf
Event • Response
Tale.
If your Gandalf companion is about to be killed or discarded, spot 2 Gandalf Men and add a threat to return that companion to your hand instead.
“And in the very midst of their talk, a tall figure stepped from the shadows. He was drenched with water, his black hair hung wet over his face and shoulders, and a fierce light was in his eyes. ‘Bard is not lost!’ he cried.”

This card was originally a condition, but I realized that having this card stick around could get a little out of hand. So instead, you have to either clog your hand or find a way to pull this from your deck.

Also note that, unlike many Gandalf Men cards, this one works on ANY Gandalf companion. Sure, you still need to spot a couple Lakemen to trigger it, but you can save Trees, Ents, and even Gandalf himself with this, too.

1The King Beneath the Mountains Gandalf
Condition
Vitality +1
Tale. To play, spot a Dwarf.
Bearer must be a Gandalf Man companion. Bearer gains the Thorin signet.
Maneuver: Spot a unique Dwarf companion and exert bearer to heal each other Gandalf Man. Discard this condition.
“‘The streams shall run in gladness, / The lakes shall shine and burn, / And sorrow fail and sadness / At the Mountain-king’s return!’”

This may be my favorite Gandalf Men condition in the whole set. I really don’t know what else to say about it. I try not to get a big head when I make these cards, but there are still a few that I get a little proud about. This is one of them. I don’t even know why, exactly. I just think it’s cool. Mr. Green

EDIT: Changes made to the first two cards after SoP and AC reviewed.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:22 am; edited 3 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:12 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Dáin’s DC Duos #30

Today we cross into the 30s (we’re flying by with these, aren’t we? Very Happy), so to celebrate (and make up for no Duo yesterday), you get a trio of some of my favorite Gandalf Men cards today. Smile Enjoy!

2Armed and Ready Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
Maneuver: Play up to 3 Gandalf possessions from your draw deck. Discard this condition.
Maneuver: Take up to 2 Gandalf archery or skirmish events into hand from your draw. Discard this condition.
“Every vessel in the town was filled with water, every warrior was armed, every arrow and dart was ready, and the bridge to the land was thrown down and destroyed....”
with the second ability it needs to be draw deck. cut the first ability down to 2. and possible add, exert a gandalf man to both abilities.

2 Not Lost Gandalf
Event • Response
Tale.
If your Gandalf companion is about to be killed or discarded, spot 2 Gandalf Men and remove a threat to return that companion to your hand instead.
“And in the very midst of their talk, a tall figure stepped from the shadows. He was drenched with water, his black hair hung wet over his face and shoulders, and a fierce light was in his eyes. ‘Bard is not lost!’ he cried.”
it works. though IMO there should be a ! after lost in the title.

Condition
Vitality +1
Maneuver: Spot a unique Dwarf companion and exert bearer to heal each other Gandalf Man. Discard this condition.
“‘The streams shall run in gladness, / The lakes shall shine and burn, / And sorrow fail and sadness / At the Mountain-king’s return!’”
works for me
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:46 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:
2Armed and Ready Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
Maneuver: Play up to 3 Gandalf possessions from your draw deck. Discard this condition.
Maneuver: Take up to 2 Gandalf archery or skirmish events into hand from your draw. Discard this condition.

Wow, that’s very very powerful. I’d take SoP’s advice and add an exertion or two to both abilities.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
2 Not Lost Gandalf
Event • Response
Tale.
If your Gandalf companion is about to be killed or discarded, spot 2 Gandalf Men and remove a threat to return that companion to your hand instead.

Hmm.... with all the ways that Gandalf Men have to add threats, it seems like removing a threat would help more than hinder. I’d switch it to adding 2 threats, just so it doesn’t get out of hand.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Condition
Vitality +1

Nice. I like the fact that it’s unique; otherwise it’d be too good.

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:19 am
sickofpalantirs wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
2Armed and Ready Gandalf
Condition • Support Area

with the second ability it needs to be draw deck. cut the first ability down to 2. and possible add, exert a gandalf man to both abilities.

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
Wow, that’s very very powerful. I’d take SoP’s advice and add an exertion or two to both abilities.

Okay. I’ll add an exertion to each. And fix that silly "draw" error" Good catch, SoP.

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
2 Not Lost Gandalf
Event • Response
Tale.

Hmm.... with all the ways that Gandalf Men have to add threats, it seems like removing a threat would help more than hinder. I’d switch it to adding 2 threats, just so it doesn’t get out of hand.

I’ll change it adding a single threat. I don’t want it to be TOO cost prohibitive.

Oh, and I’ll add an exclamation point to the title, SoP. Smile

Thanks for the reviews, guys. Next Duo goes up very soon.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

NBarden
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:27 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Dáin’s DC Duos #30

2Armed and Ready Gandalf
Condition • Support Area
Maneuver: Exert a Gandalf Man to play up to 3 Gandalf possessions from your draw deck. Discard this condition.
Maneuver: Exert a Gandalf Man to take up to 2 Gandalf archery or skirmish events into hand from your draw deck. Discard this condition.

Very balanced. Nice.

I believe this was actually inspired by one of Menace64’s cards back in the day. It’s unique to prevent things from getting out of control, but it’s hard to justify NOT having one of these when using Gandalf Men. Is it too powerful? Too weak? Just right? You tell me. Smile

2 Not Lost! Gandalf
Event • Response
Tale.
If your Gandalf companion is about to be killed or discarded, spot 2 Gandalf Men and add a threat to return that companion to your hand instead.

Nice....but kinda, um...powerful. Make it exert to Gandalf men

This card was originally a condition, but I realized that having this card stick around could get a little out of hand. So instead, you have to either clog your hand or find a way to pull this from your deck.

Also note that, unlike many Gandalf Men cards, this one works on ANY Gandalf companion. Sure, you still need to spot a couple Lakemen to trigger it, but you can save Trees, Ents, and even Gandalf himself with this, too.

Condition
Vitality +1

Nice

This may be my favorite Gandalf Men condition in the whole set. I really don’t know what else to say about it. I try not to get a big head when I make these cards, but there are still a few that I get a little proud about. This is one of them. I don’t even know why, exactly. I just think it’s cool. Mr. Green

EDIT: Changes made to the first two cards after SoP and AC reviewed.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:06 pm
Dáin’s DC Duos #31

Today we have one of the more interesting Gandalf Man companions, as well as the return of a long-lost type of possession. Enjoy!

2 Laketown Banner-bearer Gandalf
Companion • Man
Strength: 6
Resistance: 7
To play, spot a Gandalf Man.
While bearing Banner of the Lake, this companion is strength +1.
Response: If an opponent plays a minion, discard a hand weapon borne by this companion and add a threat to return that minion to its owner’s hand. Any Shadow player may discard an unwounded minion or a Shadow condition to prevent this.
“‘...we bid him consider well the claims that have been urged, or be declared our foe.’”

Let’s look at his response ability first. Give him one of the Lakemen’s myriad of hand weapons, and you get a nice little ability to stall. If a Shadow player drops an expensive (and probably tough) minion, you can frustrate them by making them scoop that minion right back up (after paying its cost, of course). This can be a killer for big baddies like Smaug and Trolls and, of course, minions like the Balrog and Sauron. The Shadow player could leave themselves too short on twilight and other costs to play that minion again, at least until the next turn.

As for his other text....

1 Banner of the Lake Gandalf
Possession • Hand Weapon
Bearer must be a Gandalf Man companion.
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, spot another Gandalf Man and a minion to add or remove a threat.
Response: If bearer wins a skirmish, discard this possession to liberate a site.
“They bore with them...the blue banner of the Lake, and they advanced until they stood right before the wall at the Gate.”

This is a direct nod to the Towers block’s banners (Banner of Elbereth, Banner of Westernesse, Banner of the Mark and others). I always thought that was a nifty idea that really could have taken off if Decipher had focused more attention on it.

This card is critical to Gandalf Men decks because of its easy threat removal. It’s non-unique, so you can have up to four out if you want to. It’s a good card to slap on your Gandalf archers (who don’t really need the bonuses other, more traditional hand weapons give) or, of course, the Banner-bearer above, who gets a modest strength boost from it.

Okay, there’ll be another Duo today if this gets reviewed early enough. Also, keep an eye out for a poll later to see what type of cards you want to see next after Gandalf Men are done. Smile

EDIT: Slight tweaks after the reviews. Thanks, all!
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:36 pm; edited 3 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

BattleWarg
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:44 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Response: If an opponent plays a minion, discard a hand weapon borne by this companion and add a threat to return that minion to its owner’s hand.
“‘...we bid him consider well the claims that have been urged, or be declared our foe.’”

Plus, to make it slightly better is the fact that generally your opponent will realize you have the ability to do this, so there’s a slightly less chance of going up against the higher cost minions (especcially with multiples of this guy).
I like it overall.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Possession • Hand Weapon
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, spot another Gandalf Man and a minion to remove a threat.
Response: If bearer wins a skirmish, discard this possession to liberate a site.
“They bore with them...the blue banner of the Lake, and they advanced until they stood right before the wall at the Gate.”

Actually this looks pretty good. The first ability is a little off though. Right now, it’s an automatic ability, so should be able to take effect before the minion even is wounded.
As a mandatory action, I think the wording is actually good, but could see removing the "and a minion" from the text. As an optional (putting it after mandatory actions such as wounds), just add in "you may" and it is good too.

As a side note, I loved the idea behind the banners, but I didn’t think they quite worked right. These actually do help with it.
NBarden
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:51 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Dáin’s DC Duos #31

Today we have one of the more interesting Gandalf Man companions, as well as the return of a long-lost type of possession. Enjoy!

Companion • Man
Response: If an opponent plays a minion, discard a hand weapon borne by this companion and add a threat to return that minion to its owner’s hand.

Maybe make it discard that minion.

Let’s look at his response ability first. Give him one of the Lakemen’s myriad of hand weapons, and you get a nice little ability to stall. If a Shadow player drops an expensive (and probably tough) minion, you can frustrate them by making them scoop that minion right back up (after paying its cost, of course). This can be a killer for big baddies like Smaug and Trolls and, of course, minions like the Balrog and Sauron. The Shadow player could leave themselves too short on twilight and other costs to play that minion again, at least until the next turn.

As for his other text....

Possession • Hand Weapon
Each time bearer wins a skirmish, spot another Gandalf Man and a minion to remove a threat.

Nice

This is a direct nod to the Towers block’s banners (Banner of Elbereth, Banner of Westernesse, Banner of the Mark and others). I always thought that was a nifty idea that really could have taken off if Decipher had focused more attention on it.

This card is critical to Gandalf Men decks because of its easy threat removal. It’s non-unique, so you can have up to four out if you want to. It’s a good card to slap on your Gandalf archers (who don’t really need the bonuses other, more traditional hand weapons give) or, of course, the Banner-bearer above, who gets a modest strength boost from it.

Okay, there’ll be another Duo today if this gets reviewed early enough. Also, keep an eye out for a poll later to see what type of cards you want to see next after Gandalf Men are done. Smile
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards