LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
BattleWarg
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:40 pm
NBarden wrote:
Hm...Gondor minions? You know, save yourself a lot of trouble and put, "While skirmishing a Gondor man, bearer is strength +2."

Yep, there will be Gondor minions. I assume you were thinking "While skirmishing a Gondor Man, Ulaire Enquea is strength +2."

So, top choices would probably be:

A: "Muster. While skirmishing a Gondor Man, Ulaire Enquea is strength +2.
Assignment: Assign a Man to skirmish Ulaire Enquea."

B: "Muster.
Assignment:
Assign a Man to skirmish Ulaire Enquea. While skirmishing a Gondor Man, Ulaire Enquea is strength +2 until the end of the skirmish phase."

or C: as written.

These all have slightly different effects, particularly in a multi-culture attack with more minions than companions... I suppose that A could work pretty well. It’s the simplest, and I’d say in the middle for power.

Still thinking on the others...
NBarden
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:59 pm
Okay...wait a minute. Don’t you get to assign the Gondor man anyway? I mean, Enquea is a companion, and gondor men are wraiths.

Confused
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
BattleWarg
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:10 pm
NBarden wrote:
Okay...wait a minute. Don’t you get to assign the Gondor man anyway? I mean, Enquea is a companion, and gondor men are wraiths.

Confused

Gondor men are minions, you mean? (As there will be Gondor Wraiths at some point...)

But, yes, you would assign the Gondor Man. Unless they have an Assignment ability or event. In this case, you are able to assign him before your opponent has a chance. Then they can use an ability/event, and afterward the back and forth, you’ll get to assign normally.

B and C options would force the use of ability in order to get the strength boost against Gondorians. A and B would require Ulaire Enquea to be actively fighting a Gondor Man to get the boost.
BattleWarg
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:29 pm
Updated cards:

1 Formless Shadow Wraith
Condition
-1 Strength
Bearer must be a Nazgul. Bearer is enduring.
Fellowship:
Discard bearer to play a Nazgul; its twilight cost is -2. You may play Formless Shadow from the discard pile on the Nazgul played this way.

4 •Ulaire Enquea, Ren Wraith
Companion • Nazgul
8 Strength
4 Vitality
7 Resistance
Sauron Signet
While you can spot a Nazgul, Ulaire Enquea’s twilight cost is -2.
Maneuver: Exert Ulaire Enquea to make a Nazgul gain Muster until the end of the regroup phase.

4 •Ulaire Enquea, The Unclean Wraith
Companion • Nazgul
7 Strength
4 Vitality
7 Resistance
Witch-king Signet
Muster. While skirmishing a Gondor Man, Ulaire Enquea is strength +2.
Assignment: Assign a Man to skirmish Ulaire Enquea.
Last edited by BattleWarg on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
BattleWarg
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:31 pm
Okay, been working on getting the card list added to, and today will introduce the Hillman subculture of Dunland...

2 Wild Hillman Dunland
Companion • Man
6 Strength
2 Vitality
3 Resistance
Hillman.
While you can spot a unique Hillman, this companion is resistance +2.
At the start of each skirmish involving this companion, you may add 2 to make him strength +2.
’"I looked on the hillmen and they seemed over large to me."’
DC22

2 Hills of Dunland Dunland
Condition • Support Area
When you play this condition, you may spot a Dunland Hillman to place 2 Dunland tokens on this condition.
Regroup: Discard this condition or remove a token from this condition to remove 2.
DU13

1 Rage of the Wild Men Dunland
Event • Skirmish
Make a Dunland Man strength +2 (or +4 if skirmishing a Rohan Man).
DC19
Last edited by BattleWarg on Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:52 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
BattleWarg wrote:
2 Formless Shadow Wraith
Condition
-1 Strength
Bearer must be a Nazgul. Bearer is enduring.
Fellowship:
Discard bearer to play a Nazgul; its twilight cost is -2. You may play Formless Shadow from the discard pile on the Nazgul played this way.

Unless this is supposed to be unique, you should say "this card" instead of "Formless Shadow" in the gametext.

The fact that this can play Nazgul only from hand makes this balance out, barely. However, considering that it costs 2 and gives back only 2 each time used, it doesn’t really pay off until you use it at least twice.

You may want to make it clear that this only works with Nazgul companions, just to avoid confusion. Up to you, though.

BattleWarg wrote:
4 •Ulaire Enquea, Ren Wraith
Companion • Nazgul
8 Strength
4 Vitality
5 Resistance
Sauron Signet
While you can spot a Nazgul, Ulaire Enquea’s twilight cost is -2.
Maneuver: Exert Ulaire Enquea to make a Nazgul gain Muster until the end of the regroup phase.

"Ren"? I don’t follow you on the subtitle.

I understand the reason for the strength drop, but it still strikes me as...weird. I don’t know. Maybe that’s just me. I don’t see anything wrong with it, though.

BattleWarg wrote:
4 •Ulaire Enquea, The Unclean Wraith
Companion • Nazgul
7 Strength
4 Vitality
7 Resistance
Witch-king Signet
Muster. While skirmishing a Gondor Man, Ulaire Enquea is strength +2.
Assignment: Assign a Man to skirmish Ulaire Enquea.

Heh. I was just about to suggest a WK signet. Beat me to it. Razz

Again, no problems here. Kinda specific, but that’s okay. Good card.

One question: why does one version have 7 resistance and the other version only have 5?

BattleWarg wrote:
2 Wild Hillman Dunland
Companion • Man
6 Strength
2 Vitality
3 Resistance
Hillman.
While you can spot a unique Hillman, Wild Hillman is resistance +2.
At the start of each skirmish phase involving Wild Hillman, you may add 2 to make him strength +2.

You can drop "phase" and just go with "At the start of each skirmish involving...." He’s good otherwise.

BattleWarg wrote:
0 Hills of Dunland Dunland
Condition • Support Area
When you play Hills of Dunland, you may spot a Dunland Hillman to place 2 Dunland tokens on this condition.
Regroup: Discard this condition or remove a token from this condition to remove 2.

Again, unless this is unique, the gametext should say "this card" or "this condition", not the title.

I think this is a little bit too good. I’d give it a cost of 2, so it doesn’t pay off right away.

BattleWarg wrote:
1 Rage of the Wild Men Dunland
Event • Skirmish
Make a Dunland Man strength +2 (or +4 if skirmishing a Rohan Man).

Good! Perfect for Dunland companions.

Neat ideas, once again. Smile
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
BattleWarg
Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:54 am
Thanks for the review. Cards are updated.

No, Formless Shadow is supposed to be non-Unique. The key ability for it was originally giving the Nazgul enduring (indicating the ’twilight’ form more than physical).

I realize the confusion that Formless Shadow could cause, but this isn’t intended to be used with the current cards (although The Ruling Ring should work just fine with the set) - although I’m definitely going to see about getting it to allow a combination (considering the ability to have a Witch-king Ring-bearer, Gollum, Smeagol and 6 Hobbits and Orcs in the fellowship).

Ulaire Enquea, Ren is a reference (as is the other Enquea) to one of the nine Nazguls named in MERP/MECCG - Each of the other Nazgul (except The Witch-king) have a sub-title of the name of the closest Nazgul as I could figure it. Enquea, in this case, is Ren the Unclean.

There will also be the Saruman signet (mostly Isengard, and Dunland will be able to gain the signet) and a Balrog signet (Moria culture, with the possibility of some outside influence)

As for Hills of Dunland, assuming you play it without a Hillman, it’s only useful to a fellowship that is moving during the regroup (or to prevent the Free Peoples player from playing regroup abilities/events) and still has 2 twilight out (although with a hillman, getting 6 out is significant...).

Right now, I’m going to keep Hills of Dunland non-unique, but this would be near the top of the list to be made unique.

And yes, Rage of the Wild Men is intended as a basic skirmish pump. and crosses over almost perfectly.

One thing I discovered while making the cards, though... Normal, the Free Peoples player controls the fellowship and is opposed by the Shadow players. Although it may work better when crossing over to have it be the same, I feel really strange having a fellowship with a Troll, The Witch-king and Saruman being the Free Peoples.
So, I’m going to use it as the Shadow player controls the fellowship and is opposed by the Free Peoples players.
BattleWarg
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:34 pm
Now the other Dunlendings, the savages. These were the first to ally with Saruman, and while the hillmen are the skill, the savage are the strength behind a Dunland army.

2 Devotion Dunland
Condition • Support Area
To play this condition, wound a Dunland companion and spot an Isengard or Sauron companion. When you play this condition, put a Dunland token on it.
Dunland companions are resistance +1 (or +2 if savage) for each token on this condition.
’"They will not give way now for dusk or dawn."’
DU8

3 •Freca, Savage Chieftain Dunland
Companion • Man
7 Strength
3 Vitality
3 Resistance
Savage. To play, spot 2 Dunland Men (or a Dunland savage). Each Isengard companion is damage +1.
Each time Freca wins a skirmish, you may draw a card.
Each time Freca wins a fierce skirmish, you may heal another Savage companion.
’The hugest Orcs were mustered, and the wild of the Dunland fells.
DR12

2 Savage Dunlending Dunland
Companion • Man
4 Strength
3 Vitality
3 Resistance
Savage. To play, spot a Savage companion.
At the start of each skirmish involving this companion, exert each character involved in his skirmish.
’Again trumpets rang, and a press of roaring men leaped forth.’
DR21
Last edited by BattleWarg on Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:01 am; edited 4 times in total
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:54 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
BattleWarg wrote:
2 Devotion Dunland
Condition • Support Area
To play this condition, wound a Dunland companion and spot an Isengard or Sauron minion. When you play this condition, put a Dunland token on it.
Dunland companions are resistance +1 for each token on this condition.

I think you should tie in savages somehow. Couple suggestions:

To play this condition, wound a Dunland companion (or spot 2 savage Dunland companions) and spot an Isengard or Sauron minion.

...OR...

Dunland companions are resistance +1 (or +2 if savage) for each token on this condition.

Just a thought. Or...a couple thoughts, I guess. Razz

BattleWarg wrote:
3 •Freca, Savage Chieftain Dunland
Companion • Man
7 Strength
3 Vitality
3 Resistance
Savage. Each Isengard companion is damage +1.
When Freca wins a skirmish, you may draw a card.
When Freca wins a fierce skirmish, you may heal another Savage companion.

Maybe require spotting a savage companion or a couple generic Dunland companions to play him, so you don’t just splash him in with a group of Isengard companions. And instead of "when", do "each time". Other than that, he’s very good.

BattleWarg wrote:
1 Savage Dunlending Dunland
Companion • Man
4 Strength
3 Vitality
3 Resistance
Savage. To play, spot a unique Savage.
At the start of each skirmish involving this companion, exert each character involved in his skirmish.

Eh, I’d drop the "unique" part in the spotting. I’m a big advocate for that sometimes, but in this case, I think that’s a bit much.

Also, you MAY want to consider either raising his cost to 2 or having his text only work when he wins a skirmish.

Nifty cards, though. I like Freca especially.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
BattleWarg
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:36 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Think adding an additional token for spotting a savage would work? I like the first idea, but it’s indicating the pledge to Saruman (which is able to be made to Sauron instead) so I feel that removing the need to wound (however its done) would weaken the flavor.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Maybe require spotting a savage companion or a couple generic Dunland companions to play him, so you don’t just splash him in with a group of Isengard companions. And instead of "when", do "each time". Other than that, he’s very good.

Yeah, I’m not sure what I was thinking on the ’When’s...

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Eh, I’d drop the "unique" part in the spotting. I’m a big advocate for that sometimes, but in this case, I think that’s a bit much.

Also, you MAY want to consider either raising his cost to 2 or having his text only work when he wins a skirmish.

I think raising it would work. I was thinking that him having to exert (if possible) would balance out the skirmish ability a bit.

I’m thinking on decks now, though... Saruman RB, Grima and Freca as the fellowship...

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards