LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
BattleWarg
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:12 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
0 Into the Dark Gollum
Event • Regroup
Discard a Gollum condition to choose one: remove a burden or a threat to return Gollum to his owner’s hand; or discard Gollum to add 2 burdens or 2 threats.
“‘It won’t see us, will it, my precious? No. It won’t see us, and its nassty little sword will be useless, yes quite.’”

Honestly, I think this is well made. I’m not sure that discarding a condition and Gollum would be right for 2 burdens or 2 threats.
It does vary on the situation, though, so it might be... A fully healthy Gollum and a useful Gollum condition of yours, and 2 burdens seems almost too weak. An exausted Gollum that will be killed/discarded if the fellowship moves anyway and your opponent’s best Gollum condition, and 2 threats seems almost too strong.
So, if I were to change it, I might say "Discard your Gollum condition...", but with the Gollum cards, I’d say it’s a suggestion if you want to change it.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
0 What Iss He? Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Play Gollum from your draw deck or discard pile to add a burden.
“The hobbit jumped nearly out of his skin when the hiss came in his ears, and he suddenly saw the pale eyes sticking out at him.”

This is directly inspired by Captured by the Ring, which is exactly the same, but adds a threat instead of a burden.

Well, with my group, this would be strictly better than Captured by the Ring, although with a burden removal, low companion deck, it might not be...
Also, you can’t use any Shadow abilities on Gollum. That’s the disadvantage I can see... As opposed to a burden in place of a threat.

Ideawise, this is great, and I could see leaving it as it is. But it seems just a bit much, and I’m not sure what, if anything could make it better...
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:29 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
sickofpalantirs wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
By the way, if the cards in #40 STILL aren’t to your liking, let me know and I’ll fix them again. Mr. Green

Only curious’s strength bonus needs to be until the regroup phase.

It already is.

BattleWarg wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
0 Into the Dark Gollum
Event • Regroup
Discard a Gollum condition to choose one: remove a burden or a threat to return Gollum to his owner’s hand; or discard Gollum to add 2 burdens or 2 threats.
“‘It won’t see us, will it, my precious? No. It won’t see us, and its nassty little sword will be useless, yes quite.’”

Honestly, I think this is well made. I’m not sure that discarding a condition and Gollum would be right for 2 burdens or 2 threats.
It does vary on the situation, though, so it might be... A fully healthy Gollum and a useful Gollum condition of yours, and 2 burdens seems almost too weak. An exausted Gollum that will be killed/discarded if the fellowship moves anyway and your opponent’s best Gollum condition, and 2 threats seems almost too strong.
So, if I were to change it, I might say "Discard your Gollum condition...", but with the Gollum cards, I’d say it’s a suggestion if you want to change it.

I’ll consider that. I purposefully allowed it be a Shadow or FP condition, but I do see your point.

sickofpalantirs wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
0 What Iss He? Gollum
Event • Maneuver
“The hobbit jumped nearly out of his skin when the hiss came in his ears, and he suddenly saw the pale eyes sticking out at him.”

its to good. Make it 1 twilight an it might be OK 2 might be better.

BattleWarg wrote:
Well, with my group, this would be strictly better than Captured by the Ring, although with a burden removal, low companion deck, it might not be...
Also, you can’t use any Shadow abilities on Gollum. That’s the disadvantage I can see... As opposed to a burden in place of a threat.
Ideawise, this is great, and I could see leaving it as it is. But it seems just a bit much, and I’m not sure what, if anything could make it better...

Glad you picked up on the phase, BW. It’s been so long since I made this that I forgot to point that out. Embarassed I think that balances a lot out since, as you said, you can’t use Shadow events.

However, I’ll go with SoP’s suggestion and give it a low cost. I think I’ll do 1.

Thanks, guys. I think that was your first review in this thread, BW, so have a GP. GP You can use them in the forum shop to buy an avatar and signature and such.

I think I’ll wait until tomorrow for more cards, so if anyone that wants to review this or any earlier Duo, you’ve got plenty of time. Smile
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:08 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
0 Into the Dark Gollum
Event • Regroup

The first part seems underpowered, since Gollum will clog your hand till your next Shadow phase, but the second part is a bit overpowered. Here’s what I suggest:

0 Into the Dark Gollum
Event • Regroup
Discard a Gollum condition to choose one: return Gollum to his owner’s hand; or discard Gollum to add a burden or 2 threats.

Still useful, but more balanced.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 What Iss He? Gollum
Event • Maneuver

Hmm.... that seems like a pretty easy way to add a burden. Maybe allow a buyout for the Freeps player, such as exerting a companion once (or maybe twice).
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
Mouth of Saruman
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:56 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
0 Into the Dark Gollum
Event • Regroup
Discard a Gollum condition to choose one: return Gollum to his owner’s hand; or discard Gollum to add a burden or 2 threats.

The flavor text was in the card text area. I corrected it in the quote but you may want to edit your post to fix this. Other than that, I really like this card. Smile

DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 What Iss He? Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Play Gollum from your draw deck or discard pile to make the Free Peoples player choose to either add a burden or exert 2 companions (or exert a Ring-bound companion).

Nice. No complaints. Homage
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:51 pm
Wow. What a crazy day. I almost didn’t get a Duo in at all today.

Dáin’s DC Duos #42

I don’t have time for a lot of comments...maybe in a couple hours. But for now, I’ll just say that the Ring-bearer is going to hate putting on The One Ring when Gollum’s around. Enjoy!

0Brooded For Ages Gollum
Condition • Support Area
Each time the Ring-bearer puts on The One Ring, you may exert Gollum and spot X burdens to exert X Ring-bound companions.
“Gollum’s mind had jumped to a guess quicker than his...he was always afraid of its being stolen.”

0 Suspicion Grew In His Mind Gollum
Event • Response
If the Ring-bearer puts on The One Ring, remove a threat to choose one: spot Gollum to add a burden; remove a burden to make Gollum fierce until the regroup phase; or remove 2 burdens to make Gollum strength +1, fierce, and damage +1 until the regroup phase.
“‘What has it got in its pocketses?’ The sound came hissing louder and sharper, and as he looked towards it, to his alarm Bilbo now saw two small points of light peering at him.”
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:16 am; edited 1 time in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Mouth of Saruman
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:04 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1Brooded For Ages Gollum
Condition • Support Area
Each time the Ring-bearer puts on The One Ring, you may exert Gollum and spot X burdens to exert X Ring-bound companions.

“Gollum’s mind had jumped to a guess quicker than his...he was always afraid of its being stolen.”

I’d drop the cost to zero. It’s unique, requires an exert, and targets a specific category. Other than that, good job.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
Event • Response
If the Ring-bearer puts on The One Ring, remove a threat to choose one: spot Gollum to add a burden; remove a burden to make Gollum fierce until the regroup phase; or remove 2 burdens to make Gollum strength +1, fierce, and damage +1 until the regroup phase.

“‘What has it got in its pocketses?’ The sound came hissing louder and sharper, and as he looked towards it, to his alarm Bilbo now saw two small points of light peering at him.”

I love this one, Excellent. Now we just need more ways for Gollum to force the Ring-bearer to put one The One Ring! Smile
NBarden
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:48 am
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Dáin’s DC Duos #42

I don’t have time for a lot of comments...maybe in a couple hours. But for now, I’ll just say that the Ring-bearer is going to hate putting on The One Ring when Gollum’s around. Enjoy!

1Brooded For Ages Gollum
Condition • Support Area

Nice. Especially with the new burden adding cards

Event • Response

Nice. Of course, here you assume that you’re running Gollum threats and burdens.

Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:28 am
Thanks for the reviews, guys. I dropped the cost of Brooded For Ages to 0, as suggested.

Dáin’s DC Duos #43

Today, we have another card that benefits Gollum when the Ring-bearer puts on "the precious", and another card that really ties that and yesterday’s cards together. This is a strategy I didn’t intend to do much with--originally I only had Suspicion Grew In His Mind and that was it--but I saw major potential to some interesting things, so I expanded it and came up with a small set of cards that give Gollum some very cool, very old-school abilities.

Anyways, on to the cards. Enjoy!

1 Creepy and Tricksy Gollum
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot Gollum (or Sméagol) and remove a threat.
You may exert Gollum and remove 1 to play this condition during the skirmish phase.
While the Ring-bearer wears The One Ring, each Gollum minion is strength +2 and fierce.
“‘It slipped from us, after all these ages and ages! It’s gone, gollum....The Baggins has got it in its pocketses; the nassty noser has found it, we says.’”

Granted, both Gollums in Lasting Alliances are already fierce, so it’s not quite as powerful with them. But splash it with other Gollums (or another Gollum minion like, say, Shelob? Twisted Evil) and you’ve got a potential killer...especially since it’s non-unique and, therefore, stackable! Mwahaha! Twisted Evil Plus, you can play it during the skirmish phase for some added costs. But why would you want to do that? Maybe this will answer your question:

1 What Have I, I Wonder? Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Exert Gollum to make the Ring-bearer put on The One Ring until the regroup phase. The Free Peoples player may exhaust the Ring-bearer to prevent this.
“He put his left hand in his pocket. The ring felt very cold as it quietly slipped on to his groping forefinger.”

And finally, the key card that ties these all together. Chances are the FP player is not going to want to exhaust the Ring-bearer, so more than likely, they’ll put on the Ring and take their chances. Throw down Brooded For Ages, Suspicion Grew In His Mind, and Creepy and Tricksy (which allows you can pay a little more and surprise the opponent by dropping it AFTER you play What Have I, I Wonder?) and they’ll be wishing they could take it all back.

Question: should I go back and add some "play during the maneuver phase" ability (with an added cost) for Brooded For Ages?

EDIT: Tweaks made, especially to What Have I, I Wonder?, after SoP’s and BW’s reviews.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:08 pm; edited 2 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:45 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Dáin’s DC Duos #42

0Brooded For Ages Gollum
Condition • Support Area
fine by me

Event • Response

IMO cut an option. make the second ability exert gollum IMO
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:50 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Thanks for the reviews, guys. I dropped the cost of Brooded For Ages to 0, as suggested.

Dáin’s DC Duos #43
Anyways, on to the cards. Enjoy!

1 Creepy and Tricksy Gollum
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot Gollum (or Sméagol) and remove a threat.
You may exert Gollum and add 1 to play this condition during the maneuver phase.
While the Ring-bearer wears The One Ring, each Gollum minion is strength +2 and fierce.
“‘It slipped from us, after all these ages and ages! It’s gone, gollum....The Baggins has got it in its pocketses; the nassty noser has found it, we says.’”
somewhat useful, I woudl make the second ability to play it during the skirmish phase. EVIL PURE EVIL!

0 What Have I, I Wonder? Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Exert Gollum to make the Free Peoples player choose to either exhaust the Ring-bearer or make the Ring-bearer put on The One Ring until the regroup phase.
“He put his left hand in his pocket. The ring felt very cold as it quietly slipped on to his groping forefinger.”
make it IMO 1 twilight and or either add burden and put on the...

Question: should I go back and add some "play during the maneuver phase" ability (with an added cost) for Brooded For Ages?

fine by me
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards