LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Open
mithrandirmatt
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:02 pm
--- description ---
Play on Gandalf bearer of obligation
--- end description ---

-48 cards total including Gandalf and the Ring-

Starting Fellowship:

Gandalf, Bearer of Obligation
The One Ring, The Ring of Rings

Sam, Great Elf Warrior
Aragorn, Strider
Frodo, Old Bilbo’s Heir
Merry, Friend to Sam

Allies:

Bilbo Baggins, Retired Adventurer x2
The Gaffer, Sam’s Father
Rosie Cotton, Hobbiton Lass
Hobbit Party Guest x2
Bounder x2

Possessions:

Narya x4
Glamdring, Foe-Hammer x2
Shadowfax, Unequaled Steed x2
Sting, Weapon of Heritage x2
Hobbit Sword x2
Gandalf’s Pipe x2
The Gaffer’s Pipe x2
Aragorn’s Pipe
Frodo’s Pipe x2
Old Toby x4
Longbottom Leaf x4

Conditions:

A Promise x4

Events:

Final Account x3

Good news is you start your entire Fellowship at once. Bad news is of the Five only three are formidable at the start. In order to survive you will need to pull Bilbo and Narya pretty quick, if you don’t start with Narya mulligan cause chances are you might not survive the horrible burden adding. Sam’s Gametext allows him to start a strength 6 for the three hobbits you can spot. Use Merry to Pump your characters(exspecially nice once you have a hobbit sword on him) and heal him with Frodo’s Pipe. Remove burdens with Gandalf’s pipe when needed, Glamdring, Foe-hammer and Sting, Weapon of Heritage will peel off burdens like crazy especially when you get all the A promise out and pump him with Merry, Friend to Sam. Final Account allows you to directly pull out Pipeweed from your discard to burn up on whatever the needs may be. Hopefully getting out Gaffer’s Pipe will help keep the twilight pool dry enough to survive for a while. Bounder should help keep you from being overwhelmed and Rosie pumps and heals Sam and the Gaffer heals Sam or Frodo, the Hobbit party guest heals two other allies (Preferably Bilbo to keep cycling you pipeweed into your draw deck) Don’t know if this will work or not, but I didn’t really spend a whole lot of time thinking about it. I am sure there are other ways to make this work, time will tell.
OneFathom
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:59 pm
Mithrandirmatt:

Frodo, Old Bilbo’s Heir CANNOT be used in your starting fellowship unless he is the ring-bearer. Alternate ring-bearers like Gandalf, Bearer of Obligation, Gimli, Bearer of Grudges or any of the other alternate ring-bearers can play either as the ring-bearer or a standard companion, but not Frodo, Old Bilbo’s Heir or any other Frodos except for Frodo, Frenzied Fighter. Note his twilight cost of 2.
legoles3333
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:54 pm
Joined: 28 Nov 2006 Posts: 861 Location: In a place that is beyond your imagination
One fathom’s right, no frodo EXCEPT Frodo, Frenzied fighter can be used as a regular companion, and isn’t final account x-ed?
NBarden
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:02 pm
legoles3333 wrote:
isn’t final account x-ed?

You’re in open. Nothing’s x-ed. Only cards that are restricted are cards like Steadfast Champion that give you an automatic win.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
OneFathom
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:46 pm
Here’s a tidbit that might help clarify things. Any Frodo that has the word "ring-bearer" in its game-text HAS to be played as your ring-bearer, no exceptions. With Gandalf, Bearer of Obligation, notice how the first sentence in his game-text says something to the extent of: "While Gandalf is the ring-bearer...". This would lead one to assume if he isn’t played as the ring-bearer, you can ignore his game-text, which is true. I wouldn’t recommend playing Gandalf, Bearer of Obligation as anything but your rb strictly because he starts off with 5 resistance and has no game-text, technically making him the WORST Gandalf a player could ever use.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:20 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
i think if you tossed in another party guest you would be fine.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Pywils
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:47 pm
Incredibly interesting deck! I’ve tried to use Gandalf in an ENt deck and a Gandalf men deck, but this is the only one like it i’ve ever seen.

First of all you’ll have to find other pumps for Sam like Depart Silently, because A Promise only works with Frodo. I love the pumped Sam with Merry and Sting though.
mithrandirmatt
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:35 am
While you can spot Frodo and Sam and neither is exhausted, each is strength +1.

Each is strength +1. Pumps both you see.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:41 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
but you need frenzied fighter, you can’t use bilbo’s heir unless he is the ring-bearer
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Open