LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion
Cobra
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:07 am
I never thought this would ever be seriously considered, but unless Paul Sottosanti is pulling our legs, the Planar Chaos design team had a brand new color in mind as a way to suggest an alternate Magic: The Gathering reality! Check it out:

The Color Purple

IMHO a new color would only be welcome if it brought something really unique to the table, AND fit intuitively into the scheme of alliances/enemies among the colors, AND did both of these without having to retool the identities of the existing colors. I’m not sure that’s feasible, so I think we’re better off sticking with the original five-slice color pie.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
physcosick
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:21 am
In all honesty, people have been bringing up speculation on a 6th color for years. Almost everytime a new set comes out that sounds redifining, people automatically think "is this the set where they are going to introduce the 6th color?"

The thing is, I dont see how they could do it. They would probably have to errata a lot and Purple would be extremely weak! I mean... it’s 13 years behind! The only way to make it balanced and actually make purple good is if they print some crazy spells but that would cause problems for type 2 and extended.

It will be very hard for wizards to be able to come up with something unique. As you can tell, from the article, they were pretty much adjusting the color wheel slightly to accomodate it. Taking away things from other colors and giving them to purple, thats not unique.

But like i said, it’s a reaccuring theme in rumor mills. And Mark roosewater knows it. Which is why he can always be found saying some interesting things in his articles which in return raise suspicion even more. But i guess they were seriosuly considering it. But in the end, Mark decided it wasn’t a good idea, so he discarded it. If he doesnt think it’s a good idea, it’s not going to happen. So until he is thoroughly convinced, i dont see it happening. I don’t think I want to see it happen, it’ll just be stupid... but i would love to play a purple deck, i like purple... but cave? cave?! comeon...
Cobra
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:05 am
I’ve heard the rumors but hadn’t seen anything that made me believe it was a real possibility!

Cave was only one option discussed; I believe City was mentioned as another.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:05 pm
I read this article the day it came out... Twice. And I’ve determined that for my money, I bet they’ll never be a 6th color. A few reasons

1) The Color pie
2) The color has none of the keys to success- thing that every color has, like moxen, Kami-dragons, guilds, and more wouldn’t be there.
3) It would have to be all in one set/block. That means they would either be totally useless in standard or way too strong in limited.
4) This past chance is the best time they’ll ever have to make a new color and they didn’t.
5) Cave is a lame name Razz
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:55 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
And what’s with purple? I’m cool with Cave, but it should be for Brown!
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:02 am
I think purple because purple is one of those colors that doesn’t really occur much in nature. That would be fitting for a theme of time. Brown would have to be based around a more natural mechanic, being found on the earth with incredible frequency.
BattleWarg
Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:25 am
I do remember a few years ago seeing purple cards... and yellow...

I think that it was fairly early in the game, before the gold cards, and I forget what the purple cards basic land was. However, the yellow cards had deserts as the basic land type.

I really don’t think it will be added, although it could work with dream cards.

Although, a small set with almost all purple cards might be able to pull it off, I’m not sure. But it should have something other than what the current cards do, which I think cover mostly anything.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion