LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions
tycho santack
Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:53 am
OK, i’m relatively new to the game and i’m not clear on gameplay or cardplay yet. I am really confused about allies. Primarily, When can you play them. Can you only play them at there listed home site? Can you play them at there home site and every following site? or can you play them anywhere but with the +2 twilight roaming fee when not at there home site.

Secondly, I am confused about the role of minions, I am under the impression that minions are a one time thing, that they are dicarded after the end of a players turn. If that is true, where do they go? Doesn’t there limited play make them extremely ineffective? Does the fellowship still move if they are beaten by some minions? Can minions stay out similar to companions?

Thanks for the help
-Tycho
Cobra
Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:09 pm
tycho santack wrote:
OK, i’m relatively new to the game and i’m not clear on gameplay or cardplay yet. I am really confused about allies. Primarily, When can you play them. Can you only play them at there listed home site?...

Allies can be played during any of your fellowship phases, no matter what site you’re at. The main thing to understand is that they are not part of your actual fellowship -- they’re not companions, they don’t add twilight when you move, they don’t count toward the Rule of 9. They do not participate in archery fire or skirmishes, except when the fellowship is at their home site. That’s the basic purpose of the "home" keyword.

tycho santack wrote:
Secondly, I am confused about the role of minions, I am under the impression that minions are a one time thing, that they are dicarded after the end of a players turn. If that is true, where do they go? Doesn’t there limited play make them extremely ineffective?...

That is correct. When the Free Peoples player ends his turn, all minions in play are discarded. (To the discard pile.) That doesn’t make them ineffective, it just makes them a different type of card.

In terms of gameplay, minions being discarded at the end of the turn gives the Free Peoples player a crucial decision to make: should I move again (assuming no modifications to the move limit, your Fellowship can move twice per turn), or should I stop at the site I’m on? If you move again, you’ll be that much closer toward site 9, but your fellowship will usually suffer because you’ll be facing the minions played at the first site and those played at the second site, all at once.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:01 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
tycho santack wrote:

Secondly, I am confused about the role of minions, I am under the impression that minions are a one time thing, that they are dicarded after the end of a players turn. If that is true, where do they go? Doesn’t there limited play make them extremely ineffective? Does the fellowship still move if they are beaten by some minions? Can minions stay out similar to companions?

You are correct about the ineffectiveness of minions as a counterpart to companions. However, they’re not counterparts to companions. Basically, they’re supposed to be a tool to wound your opponent’s companions, and not a lasting force. That’s why your shadow deck should be at least half-minion. You just keep playing and playing them. It actually gives you a huge advantage with regards to wounds: you know that your minions can take a wound if it means wounding a companion, and you’ll be waaay in the lead.
syndrome
Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:29 pm
Minions are grossly overpowered (as are there dynamics) to make up for them being discarded every turn.
http://myspace/delicatesituation

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions