LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
Thranduil
Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:17 pm
As a reminder, this is part of the first of 3 sets:
H1 - The Hobbit (300 cards, 110C 100U 90R)
H2 - The Battle of the Five Armies (200 cards, 70C 70U 60R)
H3 - The White Council (200 cards, 70C 70U 60R)

And it’s more or less complete, I just need the approval of the talented DCers of the cobracards forum!

Here is a (very brief) summary of the block mechanics featured in the first set:

Terror X (Each time this character is assigned to skirmish an opponent’s character, they may make that opponent exert X of their characters.)

Winged (This character can only take 1 wound per phase, regardless of its source.)

Locked - (A card that is Locked has blank game text, unless it is Unlocked. An ability or keyword that is Locked is nonexistent unless it is Unlocked.)

Unlocked - (A card can only be Unlocked if a card allows it to be. A card with no Locked text cannot be Unlocked.)

A seriously detailed description of the last two can be found at this link: http://lotrtcgdb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=4434 (below the Dwarven cards)

Here’s the culture break down, and clicking on finished cultures will take you to their card lists.

Ring - 2
Dwarven - 58
Elven - 27
Gandalf - 38
Gollum - 21
Orc - 68
Sauron - 28
Shire - 36
White - 22

And here’s the ring (obviously the second one is the ruling ring):

• The One Ring, Birthday Present Ring
Str: +1
Res: +1
Manuever: Add a burden to wear the One Ring until the regroup phase.
While the Ring-bearer wears the One Ring, all text on them, and all cards borne by them, are Unlocked (and cannot be Locked) and each time he or she is about to take a wound, add a burden instead.
My birthday-present... that’s what we wants now, yes, we wants it.’
H1 R 1

Dwarven

0 Ancient Memories Dwarven
Event • Fellowship or Maneuver
Each time a minion is killed in a skirmish involving a Dwarf, you may add a threat to take this event into hand from your discard pile.
Unlock, until the end of the regroup phase, a Dwarf and all cards borne by that Dwarf.
’Long ago in my grandfather Thror’s time our family was driven out of the far North...’
H1 U 3

4 • Balin, Dwarf-Lord Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Str: 7
Vit: 4
Res: 8
Locked: Skirmish: Exert Balin to make a Dwarf strength +2 (limit +4).
’A little bear would suit me better, if it’s all the same to you, my good sir... But I don’t mind some cake - seed-cake if you have any.’
H1 C 4

4 • Balin, Son of Fundin Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Strength 7
Vitality 4
Resistance 7
Bilbo is Strength +1.
Skirmish: Exert Bilbo to make Balin strength +2.
Then Balin, who had grasped Bilbo’s plan better than the rest, led an attack.
H1 R 5

2 • Bifur, Dwarf of Erebor Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Str: 6
Vit: 3
Res: 6
Fellowship: Discard the top 2 cards of your draw deck and exert Bifur to take a Dwarven event into hand from your discard pile.
’At your service!’ said Bifur, Bofur and Bombur standing in a row.
H1 R 6

2 • Bifur, Unexpected Guest Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Locked: Regroup: Discard a Dwarven tale and exert Bifur to make an opponent discard a Shadow card from their support area.
’And raspberry jam and apple tart,’ said Bifur.
H1 C 7

2 • Bofur, Dwarf of Erebor Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Fellowship: Discard the top card of your draw deck and exert Bofur to take a Dwarven possession into hand from your discard pile.
’I haven’t ventured to introduce them before, but here they are.’
H1 C 8

2 • Bofur, Unexpected Guest Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Locked: Maneuver: Discard a Dwarven tale and exert Bofur twice to make a Shadow player return one of their minions to their hand.
’And mince pies and cheese,’ said Bofur.
H1 C 9

2 • Bombur, Stout Dwarf Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Str: 5
Fellowship: Discard the top 3 cards of your draw deck and exert Bombur to take a Dwarven condition into hand from your discard pile.
’Bombur is the fattest and will do for two.’
H1 R 10

2 • Bombur, Unexpected Guest Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Locked: Regroup: Discard a Dwarven tale and exert Bombur to heal another Dwarf for each Dwarven instrument you can spot.
’And pork pie and salad,’ said Bombur.
H1 C 11

0 Caverns Old Dwarven
Event • Skirmish
Add a threat to make a Dwarf strength +2 and damage +1 (or damage +2 if at an underground site).
Far over the Misty Mountains cold...
H1 C 12

1 Clarinet Dwarven
Possession • Instrument
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
While you can spot 3 threats, bearer is Unlocked..
Fellowship: If bearer is Bifur or Bofur, Lock a Dwarven tale until the regroup phase to heal a Dwarf.
... Bifur and Bofur went out too, and came back with clarinets they had left among the walking sticks.
H1 U 13

2 • Danger Dwarven
Condition • Support Area
While threats cannot be added, each Dwarf is vitality +1.
... all traveling expenses guaranteed in any event, funeral expenses to be defrayed by us and our representatives...
H1 R 14

0 • Dangerous Paths Dwarven
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot a Dwarf.
While you can spot 3 threats, each site’s shadow number is -1.
Each time the fellowship moves, exert a Dwarf or discard this condition.
Now they had gone far into the Lone-Lands, where there were no people left, no inns, and the roads grew steadily worse.
H1 R 15

0 Dark Business Dwarven
Event • Fellowship
Exert a Dwarf to play a Dwarven possession from your discard pile (or a Dwarven instrument from your draw deck).
The dark came into the room from the little window that opened in the side of The Hill...
H1 C 16

4 Deserted Caverns Dwarven
Condition • Support Area
Toil 2. Tale.
Maneuver:
Exhaust a Dwarf with 3 or more vitality. Until the regroup phase, each minion skirmishing a Dwarf is Locked. Discard this condition.
’So my grandfather’s halls became full of armour and jewels and carvings and cups...’
H1 R 17

2 • Dori, Decent Fellow Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Strength 6
Vitality 3
Resistance 6
Each time a Dwarven card removes one or more threats, you may heal a Dwarf.
He made the hobbit scramble on his shoulders as best he could with his tied hands, and then off they went at a run...
H1 R 18

0 Dungeons Deep Dwarven
Event • Skirmish
Add a threat to make a Dwarf strength +3 (and damage +1 if he is skirmishing an Orc).
The dwarves of yore made mighty spells... // In places deep where dark things sleep / In hollow halls beneath the fells.
H1 C 19

1 • Durin’s Day Dwarven
Condition • Support Area
Tale.
Each time a Dwarf wins a skirmish, you may draw a card.
Each time a Dwarf loses a skirmish, discard the top card of your draw deck.
At the start of the regroup phase, exert a Dwarf or discard this condition.
’We still call it Durin’s Day when the last moon of autumn and the sun are in the sky together.’
H1 R 20

3 • Dwalin, Brother of Balin Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Strength 7
Vitality 3
Resistance 6
While you can spot a Dwarf, Dwalin’s twilight cost is -1.
Skirmish: Exert Dwalin to make a Dwarf damage +1
It was a dwarf with a blue beard tucked into a golden belt, and very bright eyes under his dark green hood.
H1 R 21

3 • Dwalin, Unexpected Guest Dwarven
Locked: Fellowship: Discard a Dwarven possession borne by Dwalin to play a Dwarven tale from your draw deck.
As soon as the door was opened, he pushed inside, just as if he had been expected.
H1 C 22

2 • Dwarf Drum Dwarven
Possession • Instrument
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
While bearer has 2 or more vitality, he is Unlocked.
Skirmish: If bearer is Bombur, exert him and spot X Dwarven instruments to make a Dwarf strength +X (limit once per phase).
... Bombur produced a drum from the hall...
H1 R 23

0 Dwarf Music Dwarven
Event • Fellowship
Add 2 threats to heal each Dwarf bearing an instrument.
And suddenly first one and then another began to sing as they played, deep-throated singing of the dwarves in the deep places of their ancient homes...
H1 C 24

2 Dwarven Battleaxe Dwarven
Possession • Hand Weapon
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
While bearer is damage +X, bearer is strength +X.
Thorin wielded his axe with mighty strokes, and nothing seemed to harm him.
H1 U 25

1 • Dwarven Fortitude Dwarven
Condition • Support Area
While you can spot 5 threats, no Dwarf can take more than 1 wound in a skirmish.
... for dwarves can roll along at a tremendous pace, I can tell you, when they have to...
H1 U 26

0 Dwarven Mail Dwarven
Possession • Armor
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
Response: If bearer is about to exert, add a threat (or discard a possession borne by bearer) to place no token for that exertion.
Each one of his folk was clad in a hauberk of steel mail that hung to his knees.
H1 U 27

0 Face of Danger Dwarven
Event • Fellowship
Spot a Dwarf companion and add a threat to draw 2 cards.
’We shall soon before the break of day start on our long journey, a journey from which some of us, perhaps all of us... may never return.’
H1 C 28

1 Fiddle Dwarven
Possession • Instrument
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
While bearer is Locked, he is strength +2.
Maneuver: If bearer is Kili or Fili, Lock bearer until the regroup phase to take a Dwarven event into hand from your discard pile.
Fili and Fili rushed for their bags and brought back little fiddles...
H1 U 29

2 • Fili, Young Adventurer Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Kili’s twilight cost is -1.
While you can spot Kili, Fili is damage +2.
’Fili is the youngest, and still has the best sight.’
H1 U 30

1 Flute Dwarven
Possession • Instrument
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
While bearer is Locked, he is damage +1.
Fellowship or Maneuver: If bearer is Dori, Ori or Nori, Lock bearer until the regroup phase to Unlock a Dwarven card until the regroup phase.
... Dori, Nori and Ori brought out flutes from somewhere inside their coats...
H1 C 31

1 Forgotten Treasures Dwarven
Condition
Tale.
To play, spot 3 Dwarves.
Plays on any card.
Bearer is Locked.
You may exert a Dwarf to play this condition during the maneuver phase.
’But we have never forgotten our stolen treasure.’
H1 U 32

3 • Gloin, Dwarf of Erebor Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Strength 7
Vitality 3
Resistance 6
Gloin’s twilight cost is -1 in your starting fellowship.
Fellowship: Exert Gloin to reveal the top 3 cards of your draw deck. For each of those cards, you may add a threat to take it into hand. Replace the rest in the same order.
’What!’ cried Gloin. ’One of those simpletons down in the shire?’
H1 R 33

3 • Gloin, Faithful Companion Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Gloin’s twilight cost is -1 in your starting fellowship.
Fellowship: Add a threat and play a Dwarven possession. Its twilight cost is -3.
’Will he do, do you think?’
H1 C 34

1 • Grandson of Kings Dwarven
Condition
Str: +2
Bearer must be Thorin.
At the start of each fellowship phase, exert a Dwarf companion or discard this condition.
... my grandfather was King under the Mountain again, and treated with great reverence by the mortal men...’
H1 R 35

1 Great Warriors Dwarven
Condition • Support Area
While you can spot 3 threats, each Dwarf is damage +1.
... for they sounded much too adventurous...
H1 C 36

2 Hidden Uses Dwarven
Toil 1.
Spot a Dwarf to Unlock X Free Peoples cards until the regroup phase, where X is the number of Dwarven tales you can spot.
’There is one point that you haven’t noticed,’ said the wizard, ’and that is the secret entrance.’
H1 U 37

1 Hilt of Sword Dwarven
Event • Skirmish
Add 2 threats to make a Dwarf strength +6.
On silver necklaces they strung / The flowering stars on crowns they hung.
H1 U 38

0 • Homecoming Dwarven
Condition • Support Area
Tale.
At the start of the fellowship phase, you may spot 3 threats and exert a Dwarf to Unlock a Dwarven card until the regroup phase.
’I am Thorin son of Thrain son of Thror King Under the Mountain! I return!’
H1 R 39

0 Into the Fire Dwarven
Event • Fellowship
Spot a Dwarf companion and add a threat to reveal the top 4 cards of your draw deck. Take into hand any Free Peoples cards revealed and discard the rest.
Thorin came last - and he was not caught unawares.
H1 C 40

2 • Kili, Young Adventurer Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Fili’s twilight cost is -1.
While you can spot Fili, Kili is strength +3.
’Kili at your service!’ said the one, ’And Fili!’ added the other, and they both swept off their blue hoods and bowed.
H1 U 41

1 King’s Followers Dwarven
Condition • Support Area
Tale.
To play, spot 2 Dwarves.
Maneuver: Lock this card until the regroup phase to Unlock another Free Peoples card until the regroup phase.
Skirmish: Discard this condition to make a Locked Dwarf strength +2.
’To me! To me! Elves and Men! To me! O my kinsfolk!’ he cried, and his voice shook like a horn in the valley.
H1 U 42

0 Long Awaited Vengeance Dwarven
Condition • Support Area
Response: If a Dwarf companion is killed, discard this condition to remove all threats. Wound a companion and a minion for each threat removed in this way.
’We still mean to get it back, and to bring our curses home to Smaug - if we can.’
H1 R 43

0 May Never Return Dwarven
Event • Response
If a Dwarf wins a skirmish, add or remove a threat.
’You will all (possibly) live to thank me...’
H1 C 44

2 • Nori, Faithful Companion Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Each time a shadow card removes a threat, you may exert Nori to add or remove a threat.
He had hardly turned the knob before they were all inside, bowing and saying ’at your service’ one after another.
H1 U 45

3 • Oin, Faithful Companion Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Oin’s twilight cost is -1 in your starting fellowship.
Fellowship: Play a Dwarven possession on Oin to draw a card.
... Oin and Gloin were their names... and off they marched with their broad hands stuck in their gold and silver belts to join the others.
H1 R 46

2 • Orcrist Dwarven
Possession • Hand Weapon
Str: +2
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
Bearer is damage +1.
Maneuver: If bearer is Thorin, exert him to make him strength +2 (and defender +1 if you can spot an Orc) until the regroup phase (limit twice per phase).
They had called it Orcrist, Goblin-cleaver, but the goblins called it simply ’Biter’.
H1 R 47

2 • Ori, Faithful Companion Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Each time a Dwarven event is played, you may exert Ori to add or remove a threat.
Gandalf whistled again; but Nori and Ori were there almost before he had stopped...
H1 U 48

2 • Race of Durin Dwarven
Condition • Support Area
Tale. Each time a Dwarf is about to exert, you may add a threat and 1 to place no token for that exertion.
He was the father of the eldest race of dwarves, the Longbeards...
H1 R 49

1 Secret Door Dwarven
Condition • Support Area
Each time the fellowship moves, Lock a Dwarven card until the regroup phase or discard this condition.
Locked: Each time the fellowship moves, you may make each Shadow player Lock one of their Shadow cards until the regroup phase.
No sign of post or lintel or threshold, nor any sign of bar or bolt or keyhole.
H1 U 50

0 Songs Come True Dwarven
Event • Response
If a special ability on a Dwarven instrument is used, choose one: make an opponent discard the top 2 cards of their draw deck; remove 2; or transfer that instrument to another eligible bearer.
... Bilbo forgot everything else, and was swept away into dark lands under strange moons, far over The Water and very far from his hobbit-hole under The Hill.
H1 C 51

1 Stout Companions Dwarven
Condition • Support Area
While you can spot 4 threats, each Dwarf is strength +1.
For one thing, Bombur was immensely fat and heavy.
H1 C 52

1 Strength of Dwarves Dwarven
Event • Skirmish
Add 2 threats to make a Dwarf strength +4 and damage +2.
They had brought with them a great store of supplies; for the dwarves can carry very heavy burdens...
H1 U 53

4 • Thorin, King In Exile Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Res: 5
Locked: Thorin is strength +3 and damage +1.
... an enormously important dwarf... who was not at all pleased at falling flat on Bilbo’s mat...
H1 C 54

4 • Thorin, Oakenshield Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Damage +1
While you can spot 3 Dwarves, Thorin is strength +1 for each threat you can spot.
It is said that Thorin’s shield was cloven and he cast it away and he hewed off with his axe a branch of oak and held it in his left hand to ward off the strokes of his foes...
H1 R 55

1 • Thorin’s Harp, Golden Instrument Dwarven
Possession • Instrument
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
While bearer bears an artifact, he is Unlocked.
Fellowship: If bearer is Thorin, exert him to play a Dwarven tale from your discard pile.
It was a beautiful golden harp, and when Thorin struck it the music began all at once...
H1 R 56

1 • Thror’s Key Dwarven
Artifact
Plays only on a Dwarf companion.
Bearer must be a Free Peoples card, which is now Unlocked.
Regroup: Exert bearer to transfer this card to another eligible bearer.
’... with the map went a key, a small and curious key. Here it is!’ he said, and handed to Thorin a key with a long barrel and intricate wards, made of silver. ’Keep it safe!’
H1 R 57

2 • Thror’s Map, Family Heirloom Dwarven
Artifact • Map
Bearer must be a Dwarf companion.
Maneuver: Exert bearer to play a Dwarven possession on him from your discard pile.
Locked: Regroup: Discard a Dwarven possession borne by bearer to draw a card.
’Your father could not remember his own name when he gave me the paper, and he never told me yours; so on the whole I think I ought to be praised and thanked.’
H1 R 58

0 Traveling Pony Dwarven
Possession • Mount
To play, spot a Dwarf.
Bearer must be a Dwarf or Hobbit.
Each time the fellowship moves, you may add 2 to heal bearer.
They were on ponies, and each pony was slung about with all kinds of baggages, packages, parcels and paraphernalia.
H1 U 59

1 Viol Dwarven
Possession • Instrument
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
While you have 4 cards in hand, bearer is Unlocked.
Fellowship: If bearer is Balin or Dwalin, Lock a Dwarven tale until the regroup phase to draw a card.
They came back with viols as big as themselves...
H1 U 60

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:05 am; edited 26 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
NBarden
Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:30 pm
Um...yes. Please explain the Locked and Unlocked mechanic.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:20 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
NBarden wrote:
Um...yes. Please explain the Locked and Unlocked mechanic.

I second that. I just don’t seem to get it. Not talking
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Foresight
Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:14 pm
Thranduil wrote:
Terror X (Each time this character is assigned to a skirmish an opponent’s character, they may make that opponent exert X of their characters.)

Should say: "...assigned to skirmish an opponent’s..." Seems a bit strong, I’d limit the usage of this keyword to those who are REALLY deserving of it. Witch-king comes to mind.

Thranduil wrote:
Flyer/Winged/Flight - what do people think? (This character can only take 1 wound per phase, regardless of its source.)

Flyer gets my vote! Thumbs Up That’s a keyword for your Gandalf eagles, right?

Thranduil wrote:
Locked -this one gets a bit complicated (A card, ability or keyword that is Locked is considered to be blank or nonexistent. Race, culture and card type can never be Locked. A card with blank game text cannot be Locked. Any card of which any part of its game text is Locked is considered to be a ’Locked card’. Game text can only be Locked if a card allows it to, or if it has Locked: before it on the card itself.)

Uh, no. Scrap this keyword. I’ll review your cards that use this mechanic, but I still don’t think you should use it.

Thranduil wrote:
Unlocked - it’s not bold ever (Any card of which no part of its game text is Locked is considered to be an ’Unlocked’ card. A card can only be Unlocked if a card allows it to be. A cuard with no Locked text cannot be Unlocked.)

See Locked.

Thranduil wrote:
•The One Ring, Birthday Present Ring
Str: +1
Res: +1
Manuever: Add a burden to wear the One Ring until the regroup phase.
While the Ring-bearer wears the One Ring, all text on them, and all cards borne by them, are Unlocked (and cannot be Locked) and each time he or she is about to take a wound, add a burden instead.
My birthday-present... that’s what we wants now, yes, we wants it.’
H1 R 1

The key to preventing the ring-bearer from being locked out! Great card, I’d use it over The One Ring, The Ring of Doom. Thumbs Up

Thranduil wrote:
2 • Bilbo, Unwilling Conspirator Shire
Str: 3
(Res): 8
Companion • Hobbit
Skirmish: If Bilbo is assigned to a skirmish, make him strength -1 until the regroup phase to make a Dwarf strength +1.
Locked: While you can spot Gandalf, Bilbo cannot be overwhelmed unless his strength is tripled.
’We don’t want any more adventures here, thank you.’
H1 C 247

Neat! So wear the birthday present, and he’s a No Worse For Wear at the ready! I love his skirmish ability too. Should have either Ringed-resistance, or Ring-bearer.

Thranduil wrote:
2 • Bilbo, Burglar Extraordinaire Shire
Str: 3
(Res): 8
Companion • Hobbit
Locked: At the start of each skirmish involving Bilbo, you may add a threat to discard a shadow possession borne by a character.
’If I say he is a Burglar, a Burglar he is, or will be when the time comes.’
H1 R 246

Seems like he should be an uncommon. (He’s a blank card without something that unlocks his text) Uncommon definately. I’m looking forward to the rest of your set, here’s a GP for the Locked/Unlocked keywords since it’s new and original. Should be Ring-Bound.
In his eyes was the look of a hunted beast seeking some gap in the ring of his enemies. Men
Thranduil
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:15 am
Foresight wrote:
Seems a bit strong, I’d limit the usage of this keyword to those who are REALLY deserving of it. Witch-king comes to mind.

It is a bit strong, and doesn’t really come into play until the White Council.

Foresight wrote:
Neat! So wear the birthday present, and he’s a No Worse For Wear at the ready! I love his skirmish ability too. Should have either Ringed-resistance, or Ring-bearer.

Sorry, they should both be ring-bound. And i did give them ringed resistance: (Res) was my approximation.

Foresight wrote:
Seems like he should be an uncommon. (He’s a blank card without something that unlocks his text) Uncommon definately. I’m looking forward to the rest of your set, here’s a GP for the Locked/Unlocked keywords since it’s new and original. Should be Ring-Bound.

I disagree. The ability to add a threat to help one of the Dwarven strategies while discarding a shadow possession is very powerful, and he can get unlocked pretty easily.

Okay, now for a full description of my mechanic complete with detailed examples:

Locked and Unlocked:
Three things can be Locked for any reason:
1) A whole card (called a ‘Locked card’)
2) An ability on a card (called a ‘Locked ability’)
3) Or a keyword (called a ‘Locked keyword’)
A Locked card is considered to have a blank game text until it is Unlocked, and a Locked ability or keyword is considered to be nonexistent until the card, ability or keyword is Unlocked.
When a card is Locked, it could be advisable to turn it upside down to indicate this.
NOTE that only game text can be Locked, so card type, race, culture and attributes are all unaffected by Locking or Unlocking (but all other keywords are affected - such as Fierce, Archer and Terror - this means that race, card type and culture can never be Locked by any means).

There are two ways an ability, keyword or card can be Locked:
1) It was Locked by another card
2) It contains the word ‘Locked:’ before it on the card itself.

Any card of which no part of its game text is Locked is considered to be an ‘Unlocked card’. Any card of which any part of its game text is Locked is considered to be a ‘Locked card’.

In order to Lock an Unlocked card (or Unlock a Locked card), a card must allow you to do so.

A CARD WITH BLANK GAME TEXT CANNOT BE LOCKED (though it may be possible to Lock a Locked card if there are parts of its game text that are Unlocked).

Similarly, a card with no Locked text cannot be Unlocked.

It is possible that a card is Unlocked by some card effect and Locked at the same time by another card. In these cases, the most recent effect takes precedence. For example (the cards referenced are shown below):
Thorin is skirmishing a Mirkwood Spider, while bearing Thorin’s Harp and an artifact (thereby making him Unlocked). During the skirmish, the shadow player transfers Spider’s Web from their support area to Thorin. Because the effect of the Spider’s Web took place after the effect of the harp, Thorin is therefore Locked while he bears the web. If the Free Peoples player later played the event Ancient Memories to Unlock Thorin and all cards borne by him until the regroup phase, Thorin would therefore be Unlocked. However, because Ancient Memories is not a permanent effect, in the regroup phase Thorin would no longer be Unlocked and would revert to the next most recent effect, which was Locking him by the transferral of Spider’s Web.

Alternatively, if Thorin was skirmishing a Mirkwood Spider and the shadow player transferred Spider’s Web to him as above, if in the next fellowship phase the free peoples player played Thorin’s Harp and an artifact, Thorin would be Unlocked permanently until another card Locked him, the reverse of above.

To clarify the case of ongoing effects (eg. Thorin’s Harp that says ‘Bearer is Unlocked while he or she bears an artifact’) assume that the effect came into play at the earliest possible moment, so, either when the card itself is played, or at the start of the turn if it began the turn in play.

For reference, as I’ve cited these cards in the example:

Each time a minion is killed in a skirmish involving a Dwarf, you may add a threat to take this event into hand from your discard pile.
Unlock, until the end of the regroup phase, a Dwarf and all cards borne by that Dwarf.
’Long ago in my grandfather Thror’s time our family was driven out of the far North...’
H1 U 3

1 • Thorin’s Harp, Golden Harp Dwarven
Possession • Instrument
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
Bearer is Unlocked while he bears an artifact.
Fellowship: If bearer is Thorin, exert him to play a Dwarven tale from your discard pile.
It was a beautiful golden harp, and when Thorin struck it the music began all at once...
H1 R 56

1 Spider’s Web Sauron
Possession • Support Area
Skirmish: Transfer this possession to a companion skirmishing a spider.
Bearer is Locked.
It took him ages to get the beastly stuff out of his eyes and eyebrows, and as for his beard, he had to cut most of it off.
H1 C 240

And, just for good measure, here’s the common Thorin:

Companion • Dwarf
... an enormously important dwarf... who was not at all pleased at falling flat on Bilbo’s mat...
H1 C 54

If you notice any gaping holes, please tell me.

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Fri May 18, 2007 10:00 am; edited 3 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:35 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Thranduil wrote:

Each time a Dwarven card is Locked by a shadow card, you may add a threat to take this event into hand from your discard pile.
’Long ago in my grandfather Thror’s time our family was driven out of the far North...
H1 U 3
sweet! the problem is you can pack 4 of these and basically permanently stop any opposition. make it a condition and make the second ability discard it to...

1 • Thorin’s Harp (anyone got any ideas for a subtitle?) Dwarven
Possession • Instrument
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
Bearer is Unlocked while her or she bears an artifact.
H1 R 56
Golder harp maybe? should be possession harp.

1 Spider’s Web Sauron
Bearer is Locked.
It took him ages to get the beastly stuff out of his eyes and eyebrows, and as for his beard, he had to cut most of it off.
H1 C 240
nice

Companion • Dwarf
H1 C 54

OK I would scrap locked too way to complicated.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Thranduil
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:48 am
sickofpalantirs wrote:
OK I would scrap locked too way to complicated.

The principle is actually pretty simple, and it fits very nicely with the Hobbit, as it’s all about Bilbo discovering abilities he didn’t know he had. It’s only when you get yourself into conflicts that it becomes difficult to work out.

And Ancient Memories is part of a cycle of free peoples events, so it can’t really be a condition. I’ll think about the trigger though.

Thanks for your review!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the harp is only 1 of many instruments, which is why it’s an instrument and not a harp.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:20 am
Thranduil wrote:
Each time a Dwarven card is Locked by a shadow card, you may add a threat to take this event into hand from your discard pile.
’Long ago in my grandfather Thror’s time our family was driven out of the far North...
H1 U 3

So basically, as long as you can add threats, you can keep your Dwarves unlocked at all times. I agree with SoP: make it a unique condition that you discard to unlock.

Thranduil wrote:
1 • Thorin’s Harp (anyone got any ideas for a subtitle?) Dwarven
Possession • Instrument
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
Bearer is Unlocked while her or she bears an artifact.
H1 R 56

"he or she", and you can probably drop "she" altogether unless you have Dis or another female Dwarf in your set.

Thranduil wrote:
1 Spider’s Web Sauron
Bearer is Locked.
H1 C 240

Still not a huge fan of this locking/unlocking, but I’ll give it a chance and see how it goes.

Thranduil wrote:
Companion • Dwarf
H1 C 54

So basically, unless you unlock his ability, only his stats matter. Think Don’t know what I think about this. Perhaps only strength +2, and give him a small ability that is NOT locked.

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Thranduil
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:20 am
I can tell you’re entirely unconvinced. Never mind, I’ll just have to try and convince you with some more instruments:

1 Clarinet Dwarven
Possession • Instrument
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
Bearer is Unlocked while you can spot 3 threats.
Fellowship: If bearer is Bifur or Bofur, Lock a Dwarven tale until the regroup phase to heal a Dwarf.
... Bifur and Bofur went out too, and came back with clarinets they had left among the walking sticks.
H1 U 13

1 Viol Dwarven
Possession • Instrument
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
Bearer is Unlocked while you have 4 cards in hand.
Fellowship: If bearer is Balin or Dwalin, Lock a Dwarven tale until the regroup phase to draw a card.
H1 U 60

2 • Dwarf Drum Dwarven
Possession • Instrument
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
Bearer is Unlocked while he has 2 or more vitality.
Skirmish: If bearer is Bombur, exert him and spot X Dwarven instruments to make a Dwarf strength +X (limit once per phase?).
H1 R 23

And another example of a Locked Dwarf:

Locked: Fellowship: Discard a Dwarven possession borne by Dwalin to play a Dwarven tale from your draw deck.
As soon as the door was opened, he pushed inside, just as if he had been expected.
H1 C 22

And an example of a tale to go with the strategy:

0 • Homecoming Dwarven
Condition • Support Area
Tale.
At the start of the fellowship phase, you may spot 3 threats and exert a Dwarf to Unlock a Dwarven card until the regroup phase.
H1 R 39

I’ve changed Ancient Memories, but not to a condition, you’ll have to persuade me a bit more for that (as it’s from a whole cycle). What do you think now?

Thranduil
Last edited by Thranduil on Wed May 23, 2007 5:05 pm; edited 4 times in total'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:36 am
Thranduil wrote:
1 Clarinet Dwarven
Possession • Instrument
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
Bearer is Unlocked while you can spot 3 threats.
Fellowship: If bearer is Bifur or Bofur, Lock a Dwarven tale until the regroup phase to heal X Dwarves, where X is the number of Dwarven instruments you can spot.
... Bifur and Bofur wen out too, and came back with clarinets they had left among the walking sticks.
H1 U 13

See, I would just discard the tale rather than this locking stuff, but that’s me. I can completely understood your viewpoint, as I’m still trying to bring people around to my capturing/rescuing concept.

Oh, "wen" should be "went" in the lore. Razz

Thranduil wrote:
1 Viol Dwarven
Possession • Instrument
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
Bearer is Unlocked while you can have 4 cards in hand.
H1 U 60

Get rid of the "can" in the first text, unless there’s some hand-limiting thing I don’t know about yet. Here, I think locking is actually okay compared to discarding.

Thranduil wrote:
2 • Dwarf Drum Dwarven
Possession • Instrument
Bearer must be a Dwarf.
Bearer is Unlocked while he has 2 or more vitality.
Skirmish: If bearer is Bombur, exert him and spot X Dwarven instruments to make a Dwarf strength +X.
H1 R 23

No locking? I would think you might lock Bombur himself, but this is certainly okay, too...as long as you limit it to once per phase.

Thranduil wrote:
While you can spot a Dwarf, Dwalin’s twilight cos it -1.
H1 C 22

"cost is", not "cos it". What, are you from the hood? Laughing

Cheers for making him work with possessions.

Thranduil wrote:
0 • Homecoming Dwarven
Condition • Support Area
Tale.
H1 R 39

Works well enough.

Thranduil wrote:
I’ve changed Ancient Memories, but not to a condition, you’ll have to persuade me a bit more for that (as it’s from a whole cycle). What do you think now?

I think it should instead be worded "Each time a minion is killed in a skirmish involving a Dwarf...", but yes, that’s fine.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards