LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Lord of the Rings Role-Playing
BattleWarg
Posted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:57 pm
Well, I was going over a few thoughts and decided I’d see what people thought, and if there’d be enough interest to run it.

Short Form - This would be an RPG in Middle-earth, with some strategy elements and, for those who want, DC Elements (or if everyone wants it, DC will be put higher up and possibly work our way to a set as we go). Goals will be extremely open-ended, allowing for pretty close to whatever you want. Death count will (probably) be very high for RP.

Longer Form-

This would be open to multiple characters per person (but only one at a time), and you wouldn’t have to use your ’official’ character, as the chance of death is much higher (even those of you staying in safety, but not as bad). Goals will be open-ended, but timeframe is roughly in the War of the Ring - events may be different, however (partially because of you, partially to throw you off). This means those of you who work for Sauron and his side need to get things to go for your side, and those who don’t need to stop them...

You start with a character (if people want to do DCs, I’d be fine with that - although you’ll need to be able to be in a starting fellowship regardless of other companions). If we get a larger number of people, we can have the Fellowship be played, ideally by one person (reasoning soon) with the goal of getting the One Ring from Rivendell to Mount Doom (but doesn’t have to).

Characters may be Shadow or Free Peoples, and will start in a place of their choice that would make sense for the character.

Strategy comes in the long-distance movement - the distance between places is based (roughly) on days, although there are ways to speed your movement up or slow it down. It’ll be somewhat turn-based, simply to keep the timeline in place - each person says where they’re headed (and how) and I move the timeline ahead until someone reaches their destination or a pair meets (which, even if you’re at the same place at the same time, you won’t necessarily).

You’ll be able to lead armies or small parties, which will generally slow you down based on size and type (or combination of types - two that don’t get along will go slower). As well, you can go find things that have been lost...

If it lasts long enough, we may even celebrate characters birthdays or have characters die of old age...

I think it would work best with characters that aren’t limited by number, but could be convinced otherwise (for example, Wizards, Nazgul, Balrog, etc) as well as those who would be staying in one place for their whole life (Bombadil, Wraiths - unless Aragorn or a kid of his if he dies goes ahead and summons the Army of the Dead, then you could come from them although you could be released by that person, etc - Hobbits, do not fall under this...)

I’m sure I’m forgetting something that I’ve been thinking on, or something that would need to be taken care of, so if you have questions (whether or not you’re interested in playing), please ask.

If you have specific places you’ll want to be sure I don’t forget, let me know as well. Mr. Green
Our time here is ending...

What did you want to see before the end?
It will be made in the Request-a-card Set #1 (name ideas also welcome Smile).
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:27 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
sounds complicated since having Tuilin dies creates a time quandary I would create another character most likely a knight of dol amroth. you would be in charge of this right?
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
BattleWarg
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 7:39 pm
sickofpalantirs wrote:
sounds complicated since having Tuilin dies creates a time quandary I would create another character most likely a knight of dol amroth. you would be in charge of this right?

I figured I’d be in charge of it, although if others want to help, they can let me know. It would be good.

And yeah, I’m figuring death would be higher than usual, so I’ve figured people would make a character for this rather than one they’ve been playing more often.

NBarden
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:40 pm
Well...since SE’s game didn’t get going, I’ll use my temp. character from his RPG for this one. Welcome Urthank, The Half-Troll, Twisted Evil

Hopefully there won’t be to much DC-ing. FF ROCKS!

And my troll starts in Harad. Heading North through Gondor and Ithilien with the forces of Harad.
Last edited by NBarden on Fri May 18, 2007 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in totalExclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
ingold55
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:45 pm
Joined: 10 Oct 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: Out on the front line
Quote:
You start with a character (if people want to do DCs, I’d be fine with that - although you’ll need to be able to be in a starting fellowship regardless of other companions). If we get a larger number of people, we can have the Fellowship be played, ideally by one person (reasoning soon) with the goal of getting the One Ring from Rivendell to Mount Doom (but doesn’t have to).

I would say this is out. It was tried, and became very boring. (too read at least, no offence.)

The idea for long RPG’s is good, but be careful not to draw them out too long. It is good to have them every once in a while, but even then be careful not to make them boring.

I love the idea of having groups that travel and it takes them longer time to get some where, based on how they are clad, and what class they are in. What you could do is break the RPG’s into parts, and have one section one time, and another section another time. It would then fit under one topic, but you could have them at seperate times, which would be good for people who don’t always have time to post.

I don’t think we should as an RPG go and change a main a character (like ARagorn’s) life to dramatically, which would differ Tolkein’s way of which he wrote it.

I hope i wrote all of this clear enough for you guys to understand it.

thanks,
ingold
There is a power in this world beyond any of us, and Jesus is that power and The Savior.

Cool this is my attempt to look cool.
Trade list (Want Balrogs and Aragorns)
BattleWarg
Posted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:17 pm
Alright, so let’s say - not DC (although feel free to make DCs based on it).

ingold55 wrote:
I would say this is out. It was tried, and became very boring. (too read at least, no offence.)

I’m a little confused as to which part. Having someone play the fellowship? Completely understandable, and thinking on it, would probably work better without it.

ingold55 wrote:
I love the idea of having groups that travel and it takes them longer time to get some where, based on how they are clad, and what class they are in. What you could do is break the RPG’s into parts, and have one section one time, and another section another time. It would then fit under one topic, but you could have them at seperate times, which would be good for people who don’t always have time to post.

Well, I’m going to try for something fairly simple, having a base amount of days - indicating a normal person walking there. If you rush, it cuts down on time, if you have Dwarves/Hobbits it’ll increase your time by a little. Certain races and types will be faster or slower in different places. (As an example, most aren’t used to the underground and will move slightly slower, but Dwarves and Goblins will have the lowest, if any, penalty).

As for keeping it in seperate times, honestly, I was trying to avoid it. I know it’s helpful for people that don’t have time to post, and could probably do it in groups based on general area... I mean, Angmar -> Old Forest and Shire -> Rivendell are close enough to possibly meet, but Khand -> Gondor and Mirkwood -> Dale aren’t...

ingold55 wrote:
I don’t think we should as an RPG go and change a main a character (like ARagorn’s) life to dramatically, which would differ Tolkein’s way of which he wrote it.

Well... Honestly that’ll be up mostly to the players. I mean, if no one does anything odd, no it probably won’t change. But, for example, if someone is able to draw Eowyn away from Rohan early - Merry (and others) may die, and The Witch-king may live (but, note, not necessarily) to fight at the Black Gate. If he fights there, he might be able to injure Aragorn like Frodo... Or worse, get to Mount Doom faster than the other Wraiths. For that matter, he might be near Mount Doom when Frodo gets there.

sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:33 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
NBarden wrote:

Hopefully there won’t be to much DC-ing. FF ROCKS!

which is why you RPG burned and died...simple blatant god-moding.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
NBarden
Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:38 am
Well....I got stabbed several times, and incapacitated, and had to be dragged back to camp!

And I was out of the battle! It was a charging troll killing everyone! I was just shooting from a safe distance!
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Lord of the Rings Role-Playing