LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Treachery and Deceit
How playable is Denethor, On the Edge of Madness?

5 (Best)  
7%
  [ 1 ]  7%

35%
  [ 5 ]  35%

21%
  [ 3 ]  21%

28%
  [ 4 ]  28%

1 (Worst)  
7%
  [ 1 ]  7%

Total Votes : 14
Merrick_Hale
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:06 pm
Apopatos wrote:
The special ability still applies, it does not belong to the game text!
That is incorrect. Take a look at the definition of "Special Ability from the comprehensive rules:

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Besides events, other types of cards may have a phase action as a part of their game text called a special ability, which may be used only while the card is in play. (The boldfaced word defines when you may do so.)

Thus it is a part of the game text and thus it too would be canceled by the sword.
Aaron Rhinehart
Rider of Rohan (retired)
DAgent #417 (retired)

This Incognito is a smooth operator - Lem0nhead
Apopatos
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:30 pm
Merrick_Hale wrote:
Apopatos wrote:
The special ability still applies, it does not belong to the game text!
That is incorrect. Take a look at the definition of "Special Ability from the comprehensive rules:

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Besides events, other types of cards may have a phase action as a part of their game text called a special ability, which may be used only while the card is in play. (The boldfaced word defines when you may do so.)

Thus it is a part of the game text and thus it too would be canceled by the sword.

Confused
You are obviously correct, I was pretty sure until now that special abilities were not game text Brick wall
"...I stomp round and round, / Never lie on the ground, / Not even to die. / Oliphaunt am I..."

Apop's trading list
My references
Your deck is small...
PorterTroll
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:35 pm
I give him a solid 4. His exertion text is sick, and something tells me they wouldn’t give him that drawback unless he had some exceptional way to neutralize it. But I guess I’ll have to wait and see...
Anvar
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:12 pm
PorterTroll wrote:
I give him a solid 4. His exertion text is sick, and something tells me they wouldn’t give him that drawback unless he had some exceptional way to neutralize it. But I guess I’ll have to wait and see...

Umm, you don’t have to wait and see. The way to negate the drawback is Denethor’s Sword. Unfortunately, that removes any reason for playing Denethor in the first place.

Anvar
Thranduil
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:38 pm
Anvar wrote:
PorterTroll wrote:

Umm, you don’t have to wait and see. The way to negate the drawback is Denethor’s Sword. Unfortunately, that removes any reason for playing Denethor in the first place.

Anvar

Apart from having a 2 cost strength 8 companion!

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
Foresight
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:23 pm
He is a completely costed-for companion with as many drawbacks as benefits. He basically lets you trigger Steward’s Legacy at will with Faramir/Boromir (Which can get pretty awesome if you’re using either of those two as RBs with The One Ring, The Ring of Doom and Ranger’s Cloak!) However, his drawback is add a burden each time the fellowship moves. Shire and Gandalf cultures are THE best at removing burdens, especially if you pack Gandalf, Returned with Shadowfax, Greatest of the Mearas to remove those burdens as easily as can be. Gets a 4 from me, he’s not the most awesome companion, but he is a very-rounded card.
In his eyes was the look of a hunted beast seeking some gap in the ring of his enemies. Men

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Treachery and Deceit