LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Treachery and Deceit
Thranduil
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:28 am
Foresight wrote:
Grimbeorn should be the only one who can bear that axe. Otherwise, you’ve got 4 vitality, 8 strength companions BASE. With all the junk that boosts Gandalf men that we see presently, it all combines into something that is only seen in ent decks minus the twilight pool flooding. OP.

If it was a Rohan card that took back Rohan cards if played on Eomer, for example, I’d agree with you - it would be totally overpowered. As a Gandalf card that only plays on Gandalf men, who in themselves are pretty rubbish, especially stat-wise, it’s powerful, but I don’t think it’s broken.

This is reminding me of me with the librarian! You make entirely valid points, but are considerably outvoted. If you shout loud enough over it, I’ll post it later for people to argue about.

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
Olorin
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:33 am
Thranduil wrote:
The next card I have on my list is this one:

Let’s remind ourselves of the rules here.

We’ll only deal with cards that are obviously broken or overpowered (though there will clearly be some disagreement on that), and we’ll go about it in the following way:

1) Post any ideas we have for errata (on the card in question) in this thread
2) Then I’ll add a poll with the various different opinions represented, and we’ll vote on them.
3) After a decision has clearly been reached, we’ll move onto the next card (moving in number order).

There are also some general rules to consider:
1) If possible, changing a card is better than X-ing a card
2) That said, changing any more than a few words or a sentence will make it hard for people to remember, and so should be minimised, if we go for that at all
3) We’re not dealing with rubbish or cards worded incorrectly, as the former are too subjective and the latter have obvious solutions that we don’t need to deal with (like the card that gives you a defender bonus in the maneuver phase only).

I have 1 issue with this card. The first ability is fine, I have no problem with it, and I doubt anyone else will either. My problem is that is says ’follower’, which currently includes all cultures of follower and Saruman, Servant of Sauron.

My suggestion for this card is:
Rewrite the second ability "Regroup: Discard a Gandalf follower from play to..."

Thranduil

Regroup: Discard a follower from play to reconcile your hand or take an event into hand (why is this comp so weak? Strength, Resistance...)
Thranduil
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:30 pm
Well, we’re not dealing with making cards harder, only with making broken cards playable.

And, checking out this link (about half way down) will show you a whole load of arguments why I think this card is actually incredibly broken.

Also, his stats are so weak, because he makes EVERY Gandalf man strength +2. With Brand, King of Dale, that becomes +3 for EVERY Gandalf man (except brand). That’s an even more powerful Grimbeorn, Beorning Chief, a strength 8 erland, dale counselor, a strength 9 Dasron, merchant from dorwinion and lots of other rock guys. Then you combine it with Gandalf, leader of the company and 3 or 4 copies of g for grand and suddenly you have a whole fellowship of tanks!

In short, THIS GUY ROCKS!

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:41 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
so are you saying that his first ability is broken or his second?
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Thranduil
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:51 pm
sickofpalantirs wrote:
so are you saying that his first ability is broken or his second?

No I’m saying his first ability is really cool and balanced. Powerful, yes, but there always needs to be powerful cards.
I think his second ability is broken, as are, in my opinion, the horns, for reasons that I explained at the link above.

Thranduil
- Dream of the Endless

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Treachery and Deceit