LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:55 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
I finished the Silmarillion today, and it is an awesome book. BTW, if you want to do spoilers, just post text in white. It’s next to invisible, and you can see it by highlighting it.

It’s amazing just how much of a tragedy the Sil is. It’s all about the terrible consequences one rash vow had on all of Arda. I liked how the thing with the three Silmarils ended up.

Another cool thought, and I think Sam mentions this in LOTR, is how you’ve got the making of the Silmarils, Beren One-Hand getting one of the Silmarils, Earendil wearing that same Silmaril, and finally the light from that Silmaril getting put in Galadriel’s phial, given to Sam. All the way back from the beginning, and now it’s leading a Hobbit through dark places. Cool stuff. (Oh, and very ironic that Ungoliant goes after the Silmarils which Morgoth is keeping for himself, and then much later Sam uses the light from one of them to ward away Shelob, a child of Ungoliant)
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Celebrimbor
Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:46 pm
I have the Silmarillion.

In my opinion the first 2-3 chapters are the best out of all of them. The creation of the Ainur, and of Middle-earth.
My Trading List
Popcorn is not gooey like fat, and also not crunchy like potato chips, but crispy like lettuce which makes it a healthy snack. Popcorn
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:59 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
nah Beren and Luthien and I think the second battle. and the fall of morgoth.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:44 pm
Celebrimbor wrote:
I have the Silmarillion.

In my opinion the first 2-3 chapters are the best out of all of them. The creation of the Ainur, and of Middle-earth.

Indeed, awesome chapters, love the mythic feel of them. But not my personal favorites. Actually, I think my favorites are any that deal with Feanor, much as I hate the guy, and the chapter about Túrin. I just love tragic characters.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Thranduil
Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:32 pm
I got really bored by the endless Men with the same names, like Turin and Hurin and Tuor and Huor - I just couldn’t bring myself to care about them. The best stories were towards the beginning with the Elves and the Dagor Bragollach etc.

It also really bothered me how dumb the Valar appear to be in that book, especially when it comes to the Numenoreans in the Second Age. ’You can sail anywhere you like, but don’t sail Westward,’ a serious Adam and Eve moment. What the hell did they expect them to do?

Thranduil
'We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.'
- Dream of the Endless

Check out my block based on The Hobbit, my remake of Age's End, and the Fall of Eregion
Vote for your favourite Bilbo, Retired Adventurer(V)
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:20 pm
Hey, guess what? CG’s made a picture! I actually did it for a Children of Húrin art contest...it’s of part of the Túrin story, at the very end. If you haven’t read the story, the picture will be a spoiler!
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e96/Curubethion/TurinGurthang.jpg
Shieldmaiden
Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:51 am
Joined: 07 May 2007 Posts: 389 Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Great picture, very atmospheric.
Warning: spoilers in white text (thanks for that idea CG - 144-145 GP ). I was expecting to see a dead dragon. What you have depicted, unexpectedly, is the tragedy.
That’s part of what makes Tolkien’s writings so good. He showed that sometimes, defeats are victories (Gollum getting the ring from Frodo resulted in the ring’s destruction) and sometimes, victories are defeats (Turin defeats Glaurung, but the dragon’s lies succeed in destroying both Turin and Nienor).
I think that much of his writing comes from Tolkien’s experience in World War 1. He must have seen many battles where victory was actually defeat, and vice versa.
Tolkien was very adamant that his books were NOT an analogy of the World Wars. I believe him. But I do think that his experiences in war are reflected in his books. That’s part of what makes them seem so real.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:06 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
nice tactic for posting spoilers!

interesting pic CG
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:29 pm
Yeah, I borrowed that tactic from the LOTR Plaza, where the board background is actually white, so the spoilers are totally invisible. Here, it works pretty much just as well.

Thanks for comments on the drawing!
fishfleas
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:58 am
I was wondering if someone would bring up the new Children of Hurin book. I have only personally made it part way into the silmarrillion before my head started hurting that I picked up the Wheel of Tim serious... and exhausted 2 years reading it. lol... I just reread Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Was in the bookstore and was looking for something to tide me over until The Deathly Hollows. I saw Children of Hurin. Thought, what the hey!... maybe it’s better than the Silmarrillion. What I have found is that it’s style is a bit easier to read than the Silmarillion. Since it’s easier to read it’s alot easier to keep the characters straight. I think I’m going to go back to the silmarillion after reading this and see if it’s any better. I really think Children of Hurin is done in a way that explains alot of the characters a lot easier, and the story moves pretty well, not hanging up all that much on different areas.

So far I’ld give "Children of Hurin" an B+. I’ld also on a scale of 1-10 for ease of reading, 10 being the hardest. I’ld put it more of around 5, the Silmarrilion I would put somewhere in the 8 range. Shakespear is probably a 9... lol Smile

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion