LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions
elf lvr
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:54 pm
Felipe Musco wrote:

- Cleaning step: Nothing may be done during this phase, damage is emoved from the creatures, mana pools are emptied (notice that the mana pool empties during each step of the turn, also, so mana added during the upkeep is only good during the upkeep, like mana added during the first main phase can’t be used during the second main phase, and so on).
I’ll be back later explaining Thallids (this had to be explained becuase they abuse the upkeep).

Wait, does this mean that creatues that have damage one turn start the next turn with none at all? Seems odd to me, but that may just be how it goes...

How does a creature with Double Strike work? Can it have two seperate attacks against two different targets? Or does it deal the same damage twice to one target? Would this give two instances of damage, if the creature attacked a player?

I’m slightly confused on combat. I know, total newb question, but what exactly occurs once the attacking creature and the defending creature begin combat... I know first comes First Strike damage, but in what order exactly do the next events occur?
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:11 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Ok, so, combat phase. First thing, what "targets" anything are spells and abilities, an attacking creature won’t "target" (unless you can "lure" some creature to block it, but then, it’s an ability, and THAT targets), it’s up to the defensive player to decide what happens. So, let’s go through it.
First thing, beggining of the combat phase. Mana added during the main phase is now wasted, and stuff that trigger now, trigger. Then, we have the Declare Attackers step. The attacking player will declare his attacking creatures (usually by moving them into the red zone, if the table has one), tapping the ones without vigilance. Then, we move into the Declare Blocker step. The defending playerd will declare which creatures are blocking which, Keep in mind restrictions, such as:
- A creature with flying can only be blocked by another creature with flying;
- A creature with fear can be blocked only by black and artifact creatures (although a golden creature with black on it’s cost IS considered black, remember);
- A creature with, say, forestwalk cannot be blocked if the defending player controls a Forest, and so on;
- A creature can only block ONE creature at a time, usually;
- More than one creature can block the same creature, since each of the blockers will be blocking ONE creature.
Whatever didn’t get blocked comes through for damage. However, there’s a small hiatus here, in which players can play spells/use abilities.
Combat damage goes ont he stack to resolve, you see, so you can use some effects before or after, for your benefit., However, combat is not skirmish, so once you agree that damage IS on the stack, ALL of it is, from every creature, including the non-blocked ones.
So, examples:
- You have a Grizzly Bears, and it’s blocked by a Plague Sliver. You’ll want to play Brute Force BEFORE damage is ont he stack, otherwise, your bear’s toughness will be checked upon resolution of damage, but it’s power was already checked when it went on the stack;
- You block Grizzly Bears with a morphed Fathom Seer (it’s a 2/2). AFTER damage goes on the stack, you can unmorph it. It’s power was already checked, so it’ll still deal 2 damage, thus killing the bears, but it’s toughness will be checked now, and it’s 3, so it’ll leave.
Getting back.
This is how combat occurs. Now, to the abilities.
First Strike - The creature will deal it’s damage prior to every other one, so a Blood Knight kills a Grizzly Bear without taking any damage at all.
Double Strike - the creature deals damage, essentially, twixe, once as first strike damage, once as normal damage. A few things no nitce about it:
- A 2/2 with double-strike would deal 4 damage if not blocked, bu it’s NOT the same as trample, so if another 2/2 blocks it, it WILL die after the first damage, but your guy was still blocked for the turn, so his second stance of damage won’t go to the defending player.
- A 2/2 double striker can kill a 4/4, dying in the process
- First strike resolves alongside double-strike, so, a 2/2 with double-strike trades with a Blood Knight.
- As I said before, the creature DOES deal it’s damage twice, so anything that triggers of combat damage will trigger twice. So, if you play Keen Sense on Boros Swiftblade and it get’s through, you’ll draw 2 cards.

Last, but not least, yeah, once the turn is over, all creatures are restored to full health if they took damage, but COUNTERS stay on them, so a 4/4 with a +1/+1 counter won’t get back to being a 4/4, although it you play Giant Growth on it making it a 8/8, it’ll get back to being 5/5 (4/4 with a counter) at eot. Also, a creature with a -1/-1 counter (from, say, Serrated Arrows?) will still have it (unless the counter kills it).
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions