LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

66%
  [ 2 ]  66%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
Cleston
Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:18 pm
The First wrote:
I kinda agree with La_Sin_Grail. Precons are bad, very bad. Unless you get a Jitte out of it.
IMO there are better ways to go budget with this deck though. What about a Ninja of the Deep Hours? Full scale attact, nin-jitsu an unblocked creature and graft him(get tokens from Graft creatures that were going to die in the match-up obviously). Or even better yet: Skarrgan Pit-Skulk is virtually unblockable with a few +1/+1 tokens on him.

I love the idea of ninja of the deep hours... I didn’t play kamigawa block at all, and the idea of this deck was to be a ravnica block one, because thats the format i’m playing now with my brother... but I really like it... Peel From Reality is already in the deck, and I don’t really like the skarrgan pit-skulk... though i agree that it could work, it’s a could yet...
- "If I die, your deck will crumble!"
Gandalf (any of them)
Cobra
Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:20 pm
Cleston wrote:
I’ve had very bad reviews with no explanation at all, and I believe Conor has fixed that in the mean time...

Yup, I’ve updated the Article Contest forums so that you must leave a reply before voting. Thoughtless votes = bad! More discussion = good! Mr. Green

La_Sin_Grail wrote:
For my money, I’d rather just grab one deck that works pretty well and isn’t going to age out too heavily and try to win some tourneys with it.

Definitely a good approach if you’re a competitive player, you know your favorite deck, and you’re happy playing that deck for a while. But a player who’s just trying things out might be more interested in several cheap decks than one expensive deck. So while LSG is right, I do think there is some value in learning to build decks on a budget.

A couple suggestions for any future "budget deckbuilding" articles:

1) Starter decks seem to restrain your strategy options, and don’t really help the budget idea -- even if you assume the player is truly new and needs to get basic lands and such, buying singles will probably be cheaper overall.

2) Add more info on how the deck might change as the budget increases.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
Cleston
Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:26 pm
cobra, about 1 and 2:

1 - this time around, I’ve bought the whole commons and uncommons lot... no starter deck for me for now, since everyone says it’s useless i’ll do my best without it... my actual version of the deck is not this one I posted, because, you’re right, the starter limited me harsh, and I didn’t want to cut all the cards of the starter... I bought much more uncommons then I’ve listed there...

2 - shall do it once the cards arrive here... Cool

I DO like the idea of using the shop to drive my article, though, since this is my only source of cards lately... other than booster packs once in a while.... It’s sad I couldn’t access some staple commons, such as sakura tribe elder, for example, who has always been sold out since I got back to magic...

just be nice and don’t rise the prices of the budget rares i use okay? heheheheeh Very Happy
Gandalf (any of them)
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:52 pm
Um. yeah, I like the idea of buying singles as well.

AS for the whole buying expensive decks, I meant to say that yes, I do that... but I designed one of my favorite decks of all time on about 30$ (if you take the opt out of Birds of Paradise). It was a rainbow deck, not legal in any format I know of, but biy was it just a fun deck to play.

What I meant more was you can build a really sweet deck without top tier cards. Heezy Street didn’t cost much at all.

Things like Kird ape, scab-clan mauler, dryad sophisticate and more are good UC/C tools. If you could grab a bunch of dryads now, for example, they would be good and useful for a while. I didn’t mean heavy tournaments, I just mean local tourneys. I know a totally rogue equipment deck I had won a few tourneys at my local shop, and I’d picked up the swords (of fire and ice) and jittes when they were just 5$ each. The deck ended up being about 50$ to build and won me about 35, plus the fun of playing. And I’d rather spend 50 with a 35$ refund than just spend 15, becuase I got a much better quality deck, more fun, and more tourneys.
Cleston
Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:44 pm
I’ll try using more of the forums to make better buyings... I’ll count on you guys help for it, thouh, since this site is my main door to MTG... as I said, that’s me and my brother dude... Laughing

anyway, won’t I get style points for writing style? Wink I dunno you guys, but I try (TRY) to review better when someone writes something, you know, different...
Gandalf (any of them)

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest