LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:58 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Here’s a deck I’m trying to build (and am very close to having finished).

Free Peoples (37 cards):

Frodo, Resolute Hobbit
The One Ring, Answer To All Riddles

Gimli, Counter of Foes (starting)
Legolas, Elven Comrade (starting)

Elven Guardian x3
Linnar, Dwarven Lord x2

Ring of Guile

Khazad Ai-menu x4
Battle to the Last x4
Lend Us Your Aid x4
Quick As May Be x4
Still Twitching x4
Wish For Our Kinfolk
Stout and Strong x2
Whatever End x2
My Axe Is Notched
Final Count
Focus x2

The basic strategy here is to turn Gimli into a MONSTER. Khazad Ai-menu is an awesome pump alone, but play Lend Us Your Aid comboed with Battle to the Last, and combo THAT with Gimli’s gametext, and...well, you get the idea. Twisted Evil Best of all, Lend Us Your Aid ALSO gives a +3 boost to Legolas and the other Elves. Yikes. Your Elven Guardians, with a single application of that +3 boost and the right circumstances, are each 12 strength. Shocked

The My Axe Is Notched/Final Count combo is nice if you can pull it off, but it’s more a bonus than a real necessity.

The Elven Guardians can heal Gimli while he bears Still Twitching, as can Legolas using Focus when he wins skirmishes. Linnar ALSO ensures Gimli can heal up from time to time, and becomes your backup Dwarf to use the events and all with if Gimli falls somehow. You can also pass Still Twitching between him and Gimli if you’re feeling frisky.

So could this work? Help a newbie player out! Very Happy
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
macheteman
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:12 pm
if you want a beastly combo, use a thousand Dwarven possessions on gimli and then dish out a proud and able. along with evry other possible way to get his damage and vitality up (it works well on gimli ring bearer with a +2 vitality ring). use one ent and a ent draught on gimli. during a skirmish, exert him to exhaustion and play battle to the last, then honed you can easily make him have amazing strength.

as for your deck, i don’t know what the cards do, so i’m not really sure. but it’s probably good.

-mm
Check out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
If at first you don't succeed...Sky-diving isn't for you.
"Combat is dangerous. It tends to interupt your breathing process."
ROLF!!!
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:23 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Here’s the main cards:

2Gimli, Counter of Foes Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Strength: 6
Vitality: 3
Signet: Gandalf
Damage +1.
For each wound on Gimli, he is strength +1 and damage +1.

2Legolas, Elven Comrade Elven
Companion • Elf
Strength: 6
Signet: Gandalf
Archer.
Skirmish: Exert Legolas to make a minion skirmishing an unbound companion strength -1 (or -2 if that companion is Gimli).

2Linnar, Dwarven Lord Dwarven
Companion • Dwarf
Strength: 7
Resistance: 6
Each time a Dwarf wins a fierce skirmish, you may heal that Dwarf.
Skirmish: Discard a Dwarven card from hand to make a Dwarf damage +1.

1 Khazad Ai-menu Dwarven
Event • Skirmish
Make a Dwarf strength +2 (or strength +3 and damage +1 if you spot Legolas).

0 Battle to the Last Dwarven
Event • Skirmish
Spot a Dwarf. For each wound on that Dwarf, make him strength +2 and damage +1.

1 Lend Us Your Aid Dwarven
Event • Maneuver
Exert Gimli twice to make him and each Elf companion strength +3 until the regroup phase.

1 Quick As May Be Dwarven
Event • Maneuver
Spot a Dwarf companion and an Elf companion to wound a minion.

Those are the main ones that really make it tick. By combining Gimli, Lend Us Your Aid, and Battle to the Last, you’re looking at an 11 strength, damage +4 pump for just 1 twilight and 2 exertions. Hard to find that kind of pump using just 3 total cards (a companion and 2 events) anywhere else. Add in a repeat Battle to the Last or a Khazad Ai-menu or two, and exert Legolas for his ability if needed, and Gimli can even take down The Balrog or Sauron himself!

However, I think I may retool this a bit to make it easier to heal Gimli and cut down on the number of Elven cards. So, what if I used Gimli, Eager Hunter (who would have an occasional +3 strength boost) and swapped the Elven Warriors for Elven Guardians, who have the sweet ability "exert this companion to heal another hunter"? Twisted Evil Then I could cut the Swords of the Fallen, too.

I think I’ll do that. Thumbs Up
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:20 am; edited 1 time in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
NBarden
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:22 pm
Ring of Retribution and Endurance of Dwarves x 4. That’s right, you put 4 Endurance of Dwarves on Gimli. Then, when he’s exhausted, he’s HUGE and Battle to the Last is AWESOME! BTW, The events aren’t unique.

Shake off the Shadow is cool as well.

If you run the Ring and several Endurance of Dwarves, I would also run Dwarven Heart, the self-exertion each turn makes for a great way to keep Gimli exhausted. But to make sure he doesn’t die from a Black Gate Sentry or something, Gimli’s Armor is essential. Once you get him to damage +..what, 14+? add some Honed to make him strength +14.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
macheteman
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:30 pm
chuck in a pair of proud and able and you get even better pumps with honed. honed is one of my all-time favorite events, it’s just soooooo abuseable.
Check out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
If at first you don't succeed...Sky-diving isn't for you.
"Combat is dangerous. It tends to interupt your breathing process."
ROLF!!!
KingofMinasMorgul2
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:07 am
My friend Ross, who hasn’t played in forever, has a weird gimli, legolas wounding/choke deck and to my obvious surprise it took down my besigers easily. From what I can see it should be somthing like this.

Frodo RH
The One Ring AtAR
Legolas GL
Gimli SD (when he wins wound somthing)

Companions:3
Aragorn RotN

Events: 24
Power Acording to His Stature x4
Baruk Kazad x4
Quick As May Be x4
Double Shot x4
Kazad Al Menu x4
Out of Darkness x4 (+2 and u can exert dwarf to draw 2)

Possessions/Artifacts: 6
Ring of Retribution
Hand Axe
Dwarven Bracer
Gimlis Battle Axe
Legolas Bow
Long Knives of Legolas

The whole stragety by to the deck is to kill things in the manuver/Archery and anything that gets through can easily be taken down by Khazad Al Menu, Gimlis ability makes it so you dont have to throw in useless cards like aggression or Proud and Able which only work for Gimli. Legolas can take some weak minions and wound them with his bow. PATHS makes youre ringbearer almost invincible to swarm/bomb. And Aragorn is only played on the move to site 9 for swarm protection.
I rematched himm with my enduring Nazzie corruption and won. the only weaknesses to the deck is corruption in my opinion. My besigers never killed him like i wanted to. I did stop him a couple times with a Siege Troop.Other than that its really solid.
Thats whatd i would do if i were you, it works really well and i hope ive helped you.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded