LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
Anautikus
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:44 pm
It’s not that gross; seems kinda funny to me Laughing but pretty ghetto a compared to SdA
My Haves/Wants
Let's Trade! Cool

"Don't waste your time, or time will waste you..."
NBarden
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:07 am
Celebrimbor wrote:
SDA’s graphics are nice, little draggable images and customizable UI. But it has this incessant habit of crashing....

Only if someone’s internet connection is bad.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:32 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Lackey is more versatile, although not as streamlined and contained as SDA-but that’s because it’s made to be more general. Lackey also has cool little features like being able to zoom around the table, write notes on cards, and the LOTR plugin even lets you put strength modifiers directly on characters, so you don’t have to remember them.

And I don’t know quite what you mean by "the pictures take up the whole screen", CBB. There’s a very handy card-preview in the top corner whenever you mouse over a card, and that image doesn’t take up a lot of the screen. You can also see the cards as draggable images in Lackey.

Lackey is also more streamlined when it comes to deckbuilding. Not to mention that it’s easier to update the plugin.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Glamdring
Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:57 pm
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
Lackey is more versatile, although not as streamlined and contained as SDA-but that’s because it’s made to be more general. Lackey also has cool little features like being able to zoom around the table, write notes on cards, and the LOTR plugin even lets you put strength modifiers directly on characters, so you don’t have to remember them.

And I don’t know quite what you mean by "the pictures take up the whole screen", CBB. There’s a very handy card-preview in the top corner whenever you mouse over a card, and that image doesn’t take up a lot of the screen. You can also see the cards as draggable images in Lackey.

Lackey is also more streamlined when it comes to deckbuilding. Not to mention that it’s easier to update the plugin.

Have a GP for explaining it well. Which do you prefer to use better?
Great minds think alike.~CarpeGuitarrem
Rangers will rule the World!! (CC's Official Ranger Lover)
My Haves/Wants Please look!!

...much debate much hard feelings. ~SOP
Kralik
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:54 pm
Quote:
Have a GP for explaining it well. Which do you prefer to use better?

Digging up an old thread, but...

My friends and I looked into both SdA and Lackey and settled on Lackey as the clear winner. Obviously, the user interface isn’t themed by default like SdA, but you still have a lot of options to personalize if you wanted to. (For example, see this picture of a Star Wars theme: http://www.lackeyccg.com/sw/images/swccg1.jpg).

Here are just a few pros to keep in mind:

-Handling of cards is MUCH easier.
-No need to have someone who can "host" since there is a central server than can act as a proxy to get around firewalls and port forwarding.
-Support for up to 10 players (or observers) simultaneously
-HIGH card list has the full game text for all cards, including all promotional cards. Less broken picture links than than SdA, although some of the newest sets are missing due to missing images on Decipher’s own website
-Still being actively developed

Con: The deck editor is powerful, but I don’t like *quite* it as much as SdA’s. So, I wrote a program to convert any SdA deck to a Lackey deck. If anyone wants it I have either the code or the exe.

I’m not in any way affiliated with Lackey, just impressed! Lots of fun! Multiplayer especially!

http://www.lackeyccg.com/lotr
NBarden
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:10 pm
Can we see the SdA to Lackey converter?

EDIT: Downloaded Lackey, and SdA is MUCH more streamlined. But, I have it for whenever I get a chance to use it or can’t find someone who can host.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Kralik
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:23 pm
NBarden wrote:

EDIT: Downloaded Lackey, and SdA is MUCH more streamlined. But, I have it for whenever I get a chance to use it or can’t find someone who can host.

This is probably a case of "to each his own." As long time players of SdA, you are all probably used to the interface and controls. As new to both programs, I found Lackey to be more intuitive from the start. I can do things that I couldn’t figure out in SdA, like randomly discard two cards from my opponents hand simply by clicking on them and selecting "Discard." Regardless, I wanted to be able to play multiplayer, which SdA cannot do (unfortunately).

My lil converter was written using AutoHotKey. It’s a terrific little scripting program. I have the EXE if anyone needs it, but otherwise:

Instructions:
1) Download and Install AHK.
2) Copy the code below to a text editor and save it as SdA2Lackey.ahk. Right click on the file and select, "Compile Script."
3) To convert a deck from SdA to Lackey, drag and drop the deck file onto SdA2Lackey.exe. Better yet, have Windows use SdA2Lackey.exe to open .dck files automatically. It will convert "My Deck.dck" to "My Deck.txt." Holding down Left-Shift while it runs will change the deck name to a generic "CardDeck.txt" (since Lackey shows the name of a deck when you load it in a game, this will cover it up).

Code:

CardName=Blank ; No cards found yet

Innie=%1% ; Filename of SdA deck passed to the program

GetKeyState, ShiftBypass, LShift ; Check if LShift is being held down
If ShiftBypass = D
  Outie=CardDeck.txt ; If so, output file is CardDeck.txt
Else
  StringReplace, Outie, Innie, dck, txt ; Otherwise, it’s the same as the original name except with .txt not .dck

Loop, Read, %Innie% ; Parse each line of the SdA deck
{
  ThisLine:=A_LoopReadLine
  StringSplit, XMLPieces, ThisLine, <> ; Split it up into pieces

; Find Quantity, Side (Fellowship/Shadow/Site/Frodo/Ring), and Name
  If XMLPieces2=Quantity
    CardQuantity:=XMLPieces3
  Else If XMLPieces2=Side
    CardSide:=XMLPieces3
  Else If XMLPieces2=Name
    CardName:=XMLPieces3

If CardName <> Blank ; We found a card name
  {
    StringReplace, CardName, CardName, * ; Remove any * (Unique mark not used by Lackey)

; Sort and convert cards according to side
    If CardSide=Fellowship ;
      FellowshipCards=%FellowshipCards%%CardQuantity%`t%CardName%`n
    Else If CardSide=Shadow
      ShadowCards=%ShadowCards%%CardQuantity%`t%CardName%`n

Else If CardSide=Site
    {
      StringSplit, SiteName, CardName, () ; Separate site number and name

; Strip extra space on some SdA sites
      StringLeft, CheckForSpace, SiteName3, 1
      If CheckForSpace=%A_Space%
        StringTrimLeft, SiteName3, SiteName3, 1

; Keep site numbers for now
      SiteCards=%SiteCards%%SiteName2%%CardQuantity%`t%SiteName3%`n
    }

Else If CardSide=Frodo
      StartingCards=%StartingCards%%CardQuantity%`t%CardName%`n
    Else If CardSide=Ring
      StartingCards=%StartingCards%%CardQuantity%`t%CardName%`n

CardName=Blank ; Reset cardname until we find the next one
  }
}

; Sort each alphabetically by title
Sort, FellowshipCards, P3
Sort, Shadowcards, P3
Sort, StartingCards, P3

Sort, SiteCards ; Sort sites by number if relevant

; Trim site numbers
Loop, Parse, SiteCards, `n
{
  ThisLine:=A_LoopField
  StringTrimLeft, ThisLine, ThisLine, 1
  SortedSiteCards=%SortedSiteCards%%ThisLine%`n
}

; Trim extra newlines from sites and starting decks
StringTrimRight, SortedSiteCards, SortedSitecards, 1
StringTrimRight, StartingCards, StartingCards, 1

FileDelete, %Outie% ; Delete output file if it exists

FileAppend, %FellowshipCards%%ShadowCards%Sites:`n%SortedSiteCards%Starting:`n%StartingCards%, %Outie%
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:03 am
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
NBarden wrote:

I would probably pick SDA over Lackey...although SDA does have a number of nice features, such as the camera. It’s also way more customizable. That, and you can make your own CCG with it.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Kralik
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:29 am
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:

I would probably pick SDA over Lackey...although SDA does have a number of nice features, such as the camera. It’s also way more customizable. That, and you can make your own CCG with it.

Did you mean Lackey instead of the second "SDA" above?
Kralik
Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:22 pm
BugFix: If you’re using the code above, change the appropriate place to read:

Code:
StringSplit, SiteName, CardName, () ; Separate site number and name
StringLeft, SiteName2, SiteName2, 1

Otherwise it may mess up on Towers/Kings sites. Thanks!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion