LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded
Atse_Kashte
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:04 pm
--- description ---
Why no Aragorn, Well-Traveled Guide? A short peak into the new Age’s End Aragorn.
--- end description ---

While searching on the Deck Design Archives for some ideas for my "solo Aragorn" deck, I noticed there were no results for "Aragorn, Well-Traveled Guide". Therefore, setting things right, here is my deck. Note: it is in expanded because there are multiple cards in sets 1-6 (*=unique).

Free Peoples: (35 cards)
Companions:
*Frodo, Weary From the Journey
w/ The One Ring, Such a Weight to Carry
*Aragorn, Well-traveled Guide

Events:
4x Dagger Strike
2x Swordsman of the Northern Kingdom
4x Swordarm of the White Tower
2x Sentinels of Numenor
2x War and Valor
2x Rally the Company
1x No Worse for Wear

Possessions:
1x Flaming Brand
2x Athelas
2x Ranger’s Sword
1x Hobbit Sword
1x Sting, Bane of the Eight Legs
1x Coat of Mail
1x Salt from the Shire

Allies:
1x Bounder

Conditions:
1x No Stranger to the Shadows
2x *Garrison of Osgiliath

Artifacts:
2x Sapling of the White Tree
2x Ring of Barahir

Strategy:
The beauty of this deck is that there is no setting up. Since there is very little twilight entering the pool, with the help of the No Stranger to the Shadows, the opponent will use all of the twilight trying to swarm you (as if!), and all of the free people’s pumps are 0 twilight, meaning the shadow player’s hand will probably clog very badly.
Get all the possessions and artifacts out as soon as possible so that you won’t have to worry about twilight later on in the game. Coat of Mail is very useful against high strength minions, especially if you are using Aragorn’s defender +1 game text. Use Sapling of the White Tree to prevent wounds, and use Ring of Barahir/Garrison of Osgiliath combo to heal Aragorn once per turn. Frodo’s wounds can be healed with Athelas. Overall, a very simple deck, but highly effective.

History:
I have played this freeps against corruption, swarm, archery, and wargs, and it has held up quite well. Aragorn took one too many wounds against the fierce wargs and wound up in the dead pile at site 8, but that was the only death I have ever suffered with this deck.

Shadow: (35 cards)
Minions:
3x Army of Haradrim
1x Company of Haradrim
1x Regiment of Haradrim
1x Southron Lord
1x Suzerain of Harad
3x Haradrim Marksman
2x Mumak Commander

Events:
4x Whirling Strike
4x Red Wrath
1x High Vantage

Possessions:
4x Mumak
3x Southron Spear
3x Raider Halberd
4x Raider Bow

Conditions:
1x Rout
2x Harsh Tongues

This strategy is all about keeping the opponent back while the free peoples moves on. The minions are all very high strength when decked out with the ample supply of possessions, and Whirling Strike + Red Wrath = an almost-instant kill for most decks. Use High Vantage if you are having problems with NPE archery decks, and the Rout/Harsh Tongues combo can be very nice if you can get it out. Also, you may note that the Raider Bow does a very nice job at getting enough twilight to play a red wrath.
Biggest weakness: Armor

Note: there are many obvious ways to make this deck better, all with cards I myself do not have. This is the deck I play with, not the deck I could play with if I had all the cards I wanted. Your comments on deck changes are greatly appreciated, however.
Last edited by Atse_Kashte on Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:24 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Anautikus posted one.

http://lotrtcgdb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=4771
its in the strategy article.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
NBarden
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:31 pm
Cut Severed his Bonds for Bounder. Also, use the Great Ring, Its all around better.

If you plan on losing skirmished, use Frodo, OBH and Bounder, to keep Frodo alive perpetually. If you plan to win, use Golden Perch Ale. Great card.

You *must* run Daddy Twofoot, Next-Door Neighbor with PATHS. Absolute must. Oh, and Sting, Bane of the Eight Legs. Weapon of Heritage would be nice if you run Pledge of Loyalty or Rally the Company. I’d cut Swordsman of the Northern Kingdon and War and Valor for 4x Rally the Company, for that matter.

Add a Flaming Brand. Awesome card there.

Great Shield is worthless, cut it. If you’re running against archery, you’re already dead. Instead, run Habits of Home. Great for choking, which is your only hope against archery. In fact, run two if you have a Bounder. More choke. Speaking of which, Bill the Pony is nice as well.

On the shadow side, since you’re going Harsh Tongues, cut the whole strength thing, get 3x Rout, and extra Harsh Tongues, and Desert Sneak and co. Red Wrath, Whirling Strike, all fun stuff. If you want to got more, run some Haradrim Marksman with your raider bows, that should stop your Armor drawback. A few Desert Lord or isn’t amiss either. Twisted Evil

All in all, solid deck. Needs a little work, especially the minions, but it can get there. The main problem is figuring out whether your minions are beatdown or grind. If their beatdown, go with beatdown. If they’re grind, go grind. Don’t run both, its just makes both strategies work to the least effective, meaning the deck overall isn’t effective.

~NB
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Atse_Kashte
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:01 pm
Thx for the suggestions for the freeps, but my shadow stands. The harsh tongues and rout are in there as a side, plus they make the opponent want to put out some twilight to get rid of them, twilight good for red wrath/whirling strike. The raider bows are mostly in their to give some twilight for the aforesaid, but their archery helps too. Also, I survived 9 archery wounds to double to site 9 once, and would have died w/o great shield.

You’re right, though. At least, it would seem so. For minions, it would be wise to choose between strength and grinding. However, I have find the combo of small amounts of archery with huge amounts of wounding and fierce 21 strength minions very effective at stopping the enemy and cycling for freeps.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded