LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded
lem0nhead
Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:58 am
As soon as i saw ages end i wanted the tentacle deck. Looked too much fun. And it is. Believe me. Custom swarming with a choice of strength and damage and cost whenever you want is just plain amusing. Especially in multiplayer where i play.

The problem then became what to pair it with. Then i thought dur, its moria cycle. So it was always going to be dwarves. The dwarf side is standard legal but tentacles by necessity have to expanded.

On with the fellowship.

Free Peoples (48 )

Frodo WftJ
The One Ring SaWtC

Gimli Feared Axeman (starting)
Sindri (starting)

Linnar x2
Thrarin x2
Axe of Khazad-Dum x4
Ring of Artifice x2
Ring of Guile x2
Ring of Fury
Ring of Retribution
Durability x4
Loyalty Unshaken x4
Preprarations x3
Dark Ways x4
Hobbit Sword x2
Daddy Twofoot
No Worse for Wear x2
Battle Tested x4
Slaked Thirsts x4
On Guard x3
Run Until Found

Ok tactic is similar to that of Glamdring’s Dwarven Stacking but tweaked a bit.

Loyalty Unshaken is the pinnacle. You want to play those with either durability, battle tested or slaked thirsts, so you draw 2 cards and can play the events off the condition with Sindri then chuck it away for +2 strength. So potential 8 strength off a 3 card combo that costs 1 and draws 2 cards! And you can do this 4 times. Dark ways will also get back an event to use next turn, plus its an awesome healer. May add a threat but its still a net 1 heal and an event.
Once slaked thirsts has been played to draw a card or used as above it can be stacked on preparations in the regroup preferably before a sanctuary so you can heal the exertions but you could use dark ways. Then a loaded preparations can either wound the hell out of someone in the skirmish or exert nasty stuff like gollum or shotgun enquea etc... with the SL’s.
Give gimli the ring of retribution for the extra vitality to exert to prevent any conditions going for a walk. Or just chuck cards from hand for cycling.

The rest is fairly obvious. Hobbit cards try to save frodo just in case your swarmed. Daddy can always fetch your No Worse for Wears in emergency. On guard protects against direct wounding, run until found is a random counter to hunters.

This filters like a nut job. Of course if you think it doesnt you can always add a Stalwart Support. If you face heavy conditions then add a blood runs chill or 2 for use on thrarin with an axe and a ring. If for some strange reason you found the deck is too large cut extra copies of the rings, on guards and run until founds.

Shadow (48 )

Watcher in the Water Many Tentacled Creature x4
Foul Things x4
Goblin Runner x4
Hosts of Thousands x4
Foul Tentacle x4
Strong Tentacle x4
Huge Tentacle x4
Reaching Tentacle x4
Durins Tower x2
Gollum Dark as Darkness x2
Captured by the Rings x4
Evil Smelling Fens x4
Dark Places x4

Ok so play tentacles and discard them as fast as you can (i even keep a seperate discard pile of tentacles ready to hand!) so theyre all in your discard pile for when needed. If you dont have a watcher in hand, use foul things or gollum with evil smelling fens to fetch it.
If you need to play gollum to get the watcher, or even if you have spare pool play him as he is or with CbtR for a bonus threat, exert the ring-bearer as another bonus then play the watcher. Gollum goes bye bye but hey for 2 pool a threat and an exertion is great! Same goes for runners. Play them all first for pool then they disappear due to the watcher’s text. But nevermind.
If you lose your ESF’s and your watcher dies you get shafted as you kiss all your lovely tentacles goodbye. Thats why there are 4 dark places and 2 durins towers to pump him up and keep him alive. Again this cycles like a lunatic.
The rest as they say is history. Play watcher, play tentacles. Great stuff.

There may be holes in it but this deck is for fun. Its a laugh to play and funny to see your opponent’s faces every turn seeing how many tentacles they get on them.

Comments welcome!
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:44 pm
Just a thought, but would a Smeagol/Something Slimy/Dammed Gate-stream work to pull Loyalty Shaken or Preparations? Maybe use Poor Creature for extra cycling, or Always Helps with Don’t Look at Them--DLaT can finish the job from Slaked Thirsts, too.

No recommendations on the Shadow as I really gotta see it in action first. I think tossing in Sauron, Dark Lord of Mordor would be amusing, but don’t take my word for it. Smile
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:49 am
Well the last thing this deck needs is more cycling. I decked out at site 7 in a 4 player game when this was 42 cards. So smeagol wouldnt help too much. Besides id rather avoid the burden if can help it so on guard doesnt start to lose it usefulness. Besides i draw the LU pretty fast and a 4 card smeagol combo just for 1 loyalty unshaken isnt necessary. Plus its difficult to add cards to the shadow side to even it up as theres not much else useful in the tentacles deck.

The DLaT is nice to finish the slaked thirsts guys off but if i wanted to wound stuff id use baruk khazad. But again its even-ing up the shadow side.

As regards the sauron theres no point as the watcher discards all other minions. I do splash a Balrog from ages end in (for some reason i forgot to mention that) just in case it would be more effective to pull him, using foul things or ESF and gollum, than some tentacles.

Appreciate the input though.

Any other thoughts?
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
Elessar's Socks
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:06 pm
Decked at site 7, really? Laughing Well if you’re getting your stuff in time then that’s not a problem.

And yep, I meant for Sauron (or any large splash, really) to be played independently of the Watcher. Just in case the tentacles are taking a beating and you need something else to slow your opponent down. Although in a multiplayer game, I guess you can count on a fellow Shadow player for that.
lem0nhead
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:20 am
Yeah pretty much, though it is funny to have demon of might as a spare in case someone drops the bridge of khazadum down or something. Smile

Cheers ES. Anyone else? Want more than a 1 person review!
lem0nhead
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:21 am
I also dropped in Saruman SoS for a bit of fun on the watcher!
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:07 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
anyone who makes a tentacle deck deserves a GP..

awesome!
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Expanded