LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:49 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Since I’m writing this topic, I’d better ask all my questions at once. Te first one is about Graft (what a confusing mechanic, right?). If I play another creature, having a Graft creature on the table, can I transfer ONE counter from each graft creature onto the new one, or I can transfer as many counters as I want? From my point of view, it’s supposed to be ONE counter, but ever since Doubling Season new ruling, I’m a little lost...

Also, are there any new rulings on Spell Snare? I mean, reading the gametext, it’s SUPPOSED to counter spells with converted cost two, but a friend of mine (so I don’t quite know wether it’s a reliable source or not...) told me it’s portuguese text says that it ounters target spell with converted mana cost 2 OR LESS... Is there anything about it?

Last, I see a lot of people doing this, but I don’t quite know if it’s correct: they declare attackers, and if a creature that becomes blocked would die, they use any effect that requires a sacrifice and sacrifice it in response. So far, ok, but they count the damage the creature gave to the defender, and I don’t think this would be correct, since the creature was sacrificed in response to being blocked, before damage was resolved. However, it may be possible that the damage is already on the stack, and is dealt anyway... However, they do the same with blocking creatures, and I was thinking: if it was sacrificed, then it’s not blocking anymore, right? But since Wizards tend to come up with genuine masterpieces in ruling, who knows...
So, can anyone help me with these ones?
I don't like YOU.
Cobra
Posted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:23 pm
Felipe Musco wrote:
If I play another creature, having a Graft creature on the table, can I transfer ONE counter from each graft creature onto the new one, or I can transfer as many counters as I want? From my point of view, it’s supposed to be ONE counter...

As far as I know, this is correct. That’s what the explanatory text on graft says, at any rate.

Felipe Musco wrote:
Also, are there any new rulings on Spell Snare?

I don’t think so -- nothing ambigous on the English card, and Wizards’ official "Oracle" text matches the printed text. Does the card really read differently in Portugese? Think

Felipe Musco wrote:
Last, I see a lot of people doing this, but I don’t quite know if it’s correct: they declare attackers, and if a creature that becomes blocked would die, they use any effect that requires a sacrifice and sacrifice it in response.

Yes, that’s a perfectly valid thing to do. Here’s the combat procedure:

1. Beginning of combat step (play instants or abilities)
2. Declare attackers step (first declare attackers; then play instants or abilities)
3. Declare blockers step (first assign blockers; then play instants or abilities)
4. Combat damage step (first put combat damage on the stack; then play instants or abilities)
5. End of combat step (play instants or abilities)

(There’s also a first strike combat damage step right before the regular one, if necessary.)

So, as an example let’s take Shambling Shell vs. Mourning Thrull. At the start of the combat damage step, fatal damage to each creature is put on the stack. But before that damage resolves, the Shell’s owner can sacrifice it to use its ability. The ability resolves, putting a +1/+1 counter on another creature. Then combat damage resolves. The 1 damage dealt by Mourning Thrull no longer has a target, so its life gain ability doesn’t trigger. The 3 damage dealt by Shambling Shell kills the Thrull.

Behold the power of sacrificial creatures! Twisted Evil Laughing
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Gameplay Questions